Softball

OU wins 7-1 grand slam by Romero. OU only had 3 hits but the whorns had 3 errors. Lopez started threw 3 innings. Lowary threw the final 4 innings.

Sunday, April 29, 2018 || Game 3 vs. Texas

Rough Start: Paige Parker gets relieved in the top of the first inning after getting only one out, and leaving the game with the bases loaded.

Texas 1st Inning (2 RUNS, 2 HITS, 3 WALKS; 0 ERRORS, 3 LOB)
1. Out/Jefferson popped up to ss
2. BB/Tedder walked
3. HR/2RBI/von Sprecken homered, Tedder scored
4. BB/Ellsworth walked
5. BB/Leahy walked; Ellsworth advanced to second
6. Base Hit/Washington singled to RF; Leahy advanced to second; Ellsworth advanced to third

Mariah Lopez enters game to pitch for Paige Parker

7. K/Schattle struck out swinging
8. K/Slack struck out looking

Live Stats
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=218328

OU hits 3 solo home runs to take a 3-2 lead into the 7th inning.

OU's First 3 Hits in the Game
1. Jocelyn Alo - Solo HR in the 4th inning
2. Shay Knighten - Solo HR in the 6th inning
3. Nicole Pendley - Solo HR in the 6th iniing

Paige Lowary is pitching for OU in the 7th. Texas starts off the inning with 2 singles. Nothing is easy.

Some nifty fielding by Caleigh Clifton at shortstop helps, as she gets two outs on back-to-back plays at 3rd base.

With 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd base, Texas gets a single off Lowary to tie the game 3-3. At this point, Texas has runners on 1st and 3rd.

The next UT batter grounds out to 2nd base. All tied up at 3-3 going into the bottom of the 7th.

Last edited:
Going to extra innings tied 3-3.

OUCH! The leadoff batter for Texas in the top of the 8th inning hits a home run off Paige Lowary.

Texas leads 4-3. At this point, Texas has 9 hits to OU’s 4 hits.

Trailing 4-3, Alo and Knighten will be the first two batters for OU in the bottom of the 8th inning

Game tied 4-4!! Jocelyn Alo leads off the bottom of the 8th with a HOME RUN! That is OU's 4th HR of the game.

EDIT: With 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd, Lea Wodach hits a walk-off single! Sooners win 5-4!!

OU is now 44-3, and 15-0 in the Big-12.

Last edited:
Other than our home runs, Texas out-hit us in this series. They came out swinging, attacking the ball. We sat back as though looking for the walk. Their pitchers tended to attack the plate more. We fished around it. The Texas pitchers were given one pitch that we weren't given, low inside on the right-handed hitter. That was the Texas strikeout pitch. We took it.

Wodach is swinging pretty well right now, no bad outs. We have some who are in a really bad slump.

Here's a rule I would be in favor of, although I know it would never happen. Intentional walks get 2 bases instead of 1.

Here's a rule I would be in favor of, although I know it would never happen. Intentional walks get 2 bases instead of 1.

Yeah, I think Connie got everything out of her team that she could. Their pitching was really out of this world, for them, this weekend. Von Sprecken is 10-10 on the season but she pitched like she was 15-5. I think that was the best Wright has pitched that I’ve seen. I thought Connie wouldn’t finish the season after their start of the season but they have really turned it up a couple of notches.

For baseball, as well? Or are you only wanting to literally change the foundations of 1 sport?

The Foundations?

I said it would never happen. Some people think that the rule about intentional/unintentional fouls at the end of basketball games should be changed so that the team fouled had the option of taking the ball out of bounds instead of sending a poor free throw shooter to the line. It would never happen, either.

I wonder what the warning was about from the plate ump, midway through the game. I wouldn't have blamed someone for questioning his lineage. Jose Feliciano could have called better balls and strikes than that clown did today.

I wonder what the warning was about from the plate ump, midway through the game. I wouldn't have blamed someone for questioning his lineage. Jose Feliciano could have called better balls and strikes than that clown did today.

I agree. Whorns were getting strikes for pitches and same pitches for us were balls. All weekend.

Our offense never really got in sync. Thank goodness for home run balls but we can't expect to live on that. Defense played well and kept using the game. Some spectacular D plays today. I hope whatever is affecting Paige Parker can be resolved. When I saw her in the bull pen in the 7th I was hoping she would not re-enter the game.

Yeah, I think Connie got everything out of her team that she could. Their pitching was really out of this world, for them, this weekend. Von Sprecken is 10-10 on the season but she pitched like she was 15-5. I think that was the best Wright has pitched that I’ve seen. I thought Connie wouldn’t finish the season after their start of the season but they have really turned it up a couple of notches.

I felt that more than quality pitching by the whorn staff it was a failure of the OU hitters to be aggressive early in the count and not attacking the ball when they did take a cut.

The OU hitters have not been their normal aggressive self at the plate starting with the Tulsa game and Mendes is at the head of the class. I have been pleased with how Wodach, Knighten, Alo and Rogers are swing the bat. The others not so much.

But we do have to concede that quality pitching stops quality hitting. Perhaps the Sooners just have not seen enough quality pitching in the season to be at the top of their game when they do face the good pitchers.

Prior to the Tulsa game we were hitting .343. During the Tulsa-Texas 7 games we hit .213 to lower our season average to .325. We are going to primarily see only quality pitching for the balance of the season so our bats need to get back on track.

That leaves out Sydney, Caleigh, Fale, Nicole, and Nicole, all of whom have been quite effective hitting the best pitching in the nation for two years (well, Mendes only one). You wonder why they have all entered a slump at the same time. But, a lot of it is that they do take the only good pitch they get as the first pitch, and there is too much game-playing rather than just trusting your natural swing.

Against OSU, take off the bunts, hit and runs, and gadget hitting and swing away. Let the natural talent return and dominate. We only need to manufacture runs because we put the offense in a wheelchair.

That leaves out Sydney, Caleigh, Fale, Nicole, and Nicole, all of whom have been quite effective hitting the best pitching in the nation for two years (well, Mendes only one). You wonder why they have all entered a slump at the same time. But, a lot of it is that they do take the only good pitch they get as the first pitch, and there is too much game-playing rather than just trusting your natural swing.

Against OSU, take off the bunts, hit and runs, and gadget hitting and swing away. Let the natural talent return and dominate. We only need to manufacture runs because we put the offense in a wheelchair.

Syd and Caleigh has only been in a funk only for the last two weeks. Fale and Nicole have had their streaks but nothing consistent. With Mendes she is just not swinging the bat like she was last year. IMHO too much attempting to slap hit. Also seems to be thinking too much and allowing the pitcher to control her at bat.

You should never question Patty as she knows this team pulse but I would be starting Rogers instead of Mendes. The way Mendes is presently playing I don't know that she gives you any advantages. But key #1 is for Paige Parker to get back on her game in a consistent manner.

When you get to the tournament winning the first game in the regionals, super-regionals and WCWS is something you desperately need to do and that is PP's game to start.

Last edited:
Back