Softball

They resume. Paige gets a strikeout, a ground out, and a no-hitter against a good-hitting team. No early problems for Paige tonight.

They resume. Paige gets a strikeout, a ground out, and a no-hitter against a good-hitting team. No early problems for Paige tonight.

Yes, great to see Paige’s response to less than stellar weekend.

NORMAN — The biggest drama Wednesday night at Marita Hynes Field involved the weather.

With ominous clouds hanging over Oklahoma’s softball stadium all evening, Paige Parker was two outs away from completing a five-inning no-hitter against Oklahoma State. Then there was lightning in the distance and a delay.

With heavy storms projected to barrel in, the Sooners and Cowgirls returned to the field 30 minutes later. Parker got a strikeout and a groundout to finish the deal. No. 3 Oklahoma won the first of a three-game Bedlam series 8-0. And another small note: The Sooners clinched their seventh consecutive Big 12 title.

Link

Yes, great to see Paige’s response to less than stellar weekend.

After walking Shippy to start the game, Paige turned up the heat and suddenly became the Paige we all know and love. She was dominant and overpowering for the remainder of the game, and I truly believe she would have completed the no-hitter even if the game had gone the full seven innings.

Paige Parker, for my money, is the second best pitcher (behind Ricketts) in OU softball history. And I believe an argument could be made for her being the best. Ricketts was more physically gifted, and Lowary is the hardest thrower, but no one, including all current and former players, are more competitive and as mentally tough as our Paige Parker. Folks, we are going to miss her when she's gone.

After walking Shippy to start the game, Paige turned up the heat and suddenly became the Paige we all know and love. She was dominant and overpowering for the remainder of the game, and I truly believe she would have completed the no-hitter even if the game had gone the full seven innings.

Paige Parker, for my money, is the second best pitcher (behind Ricketts) in OU softball history. And I believe an argument could be made for her being the best. Ricketts was more physically gifted, and Lowary is the hardest thrower, but no one, including all current and former players, are more competitive and as mentally tough as our Paige Parker. Folks, we are going to miss her when she's gone.

You are correct, we will miss her a lot! Class act all the way around!!!

Absolutely. Paige Parker is a complete WARRIOR. She's had a lot of amazing moments, but I think my very favorite was during the 17-inning game in the WCWS last year... Nicole Mendes made a perfect throw from the wall to throw out a would-be double at 2nd and Paige Parker lost her mind with excitement.

You can see a gif here: https://twitter.com/NCAAsoftball/status/871900103165882368

She 100% leaves her heart on the field! I hope she gets the picture perfect ending to her college career that she deserves!

Shay's three-run HR last night was a carbon copy of the HR that she hit to tie the last game of the Texas series, 2-2. Inside pitch that Shay opened up on. Should have hit it foul, except that she opened up, knowing that it would be an inside pitch, somewhat low. She turned on it, and it disappeared into the left-center stands, a long way from foul.

You can't pitch good hitters the same way time-after-time. They'll adjust.

No one has the array of pitches that Paige Parker has. She can hit all 9 zones with six pitches at three different speeds. She is a pure pitcher not a power pitcher but total finesse. If she is on then forget about it. She shut out the Japanese National Team as 16 year old pitching for the California A's in the Canada Cup. Yes, there is not a more friendly and great teammate than Paige.

Question: I'm not terribly educated in professional softball... It seems like Paige Parker has been appropriately respected among the softball world. But why was she picked 6th? If she is (arguably) the best pitcher off all time in (arguably) the best program (which I believe she is), then why did she fall to the 6 spot?

Question: I'm not terribly educated in professional softball... It seems like Paige Parker has been appropriately respected among the softball world. But why was she picked 6th? If she is (arguably) the best pitcher off all time in (arguably) the best program (which I believe she is), then why did she fall to the 6 spot?

I'm guessing it's because her knee problems are public knowledge.

I also read in an article earlier this year where Paige somewhat implied that she her career coming to an end with the conclusion of her college career. I can easily understand a team not wanting to waste their #1 pick on a player not totally committed to wanting to play pro ball.

Oklahoma

Record: 45-3, 16-0 Big 12

Looking ahead: Oklahoma wraps up the regular season with two games against Oklahoma State (6:30 p.m. Friday in Stillwater, 7:30 p.m. Saturday in Norman).

Link

Kind of reminds me of the Major Leagues, velocity and big arms. Paige Lowary went #1 and she throws harder than anyone. Monica Abbott is the only one with a 1M+ contract and she throws 80+. As for Paige, she is the ultimate crafty lefty. I do agree MsProudSooner that we might not know a ton about her injuries. She really played through them last year - she isn't just nice but she is a real warrior.

Kind of reminds me of the Major Leagues, velocity and big arms. Paige Lowary went #1 and she throws harder than anyone. Monica Abbott is the only one with a 1M+ contract and she throws 80+. As for Paige, she is the ultimate crafty lefty. I do agree MsProudSooner that we might not know a ton about her injuries. She really played through them last year - she isn't just nice but she is a real warrior.

Yep. In professional sports it's all about physical gifts and potential. Paige doesn't fit the mold of the player those teams covet, so she probably never had a chance to go overall No. 1.

It probably sounds cliche, but you can't measure qualities like heart, determination and competitive spirit. Look at Paige Parker and you hardly see a potential Monica Abbott or even a Paige Lowary. But put Parker in the circle and place a softball in her left hand, and just watch her become the baby-faced assassin that one ESPN commentator so aptly called her.

It seems almost unreal to think that Paige Parker will soon be pitching in her final game as an Oklahoma Sooner. Hopefully, that occurs in this year's WCWS finals. As TheMont stated in one of his posts: "I hope she gets the picture perfect ending to her college career that she deserves!"

The difference between college and pro is often a matter of physical ability. I see Paige Parker as a very highly-effective pitcher with a ceiling, much as someone implied with the Abbott comparison. Against the best college hitting, she will be effective. But, there will be hitters who can hit her. In the pros, they are likely to be able to hit her. She won't get them to swing and miss on rise balls out of the zone. They will not be fooled as much by a curve or change-up. A Lowary will still be difficult to hit because not everyone can throw 74 mph. Abbott is dominant because she can hit 80, and she has a wild motion that is distracting as well. As good as she is, Parker will simply not overpower the pro hitter.

The difference between college and pro is often a matter of physical ability. I see Paige Parker as a very highly-effective pitcher with a ceiling, much as someone implied with the Abbott comparison. Against the best college hitting, she will be effective. But, there will be hitters who can hit her. In the pros, they are likely to be able to hit her. She won't get them to swing and miss on rise balls out of the zone. They will not be fooled as much by a curve or change-up. A Lowary will still be difficult to hit because not everyone can throw 74 mph. Abbott is dominant because she can hit 80, and she has a wild motion that is distracting as well. As good as she is, Parker will simply not overpower the pro hitter.

Paige's success has never been about overpowering hitters. She throws hard enough to induce SOME strikeouts, but her real strength lies in her spin, location and changing speeds. I believe that Paige's success as a pitcher in college will translate to the NPF, assuming Paige even WANTS to pitch in the pros. After all, who ARE the successful NPF players if not former successful college players.

Anybody heard when Arnold could be back? She has been out about a week with what looked like a knee injury running to first.

Anybody heard when Arnold could be back? She has been out about a week with what looked like a knee injury running to first.

It was hamstring injury and Patty said on pre-game that it would be game time decision so evidently she won’t play today but Patty was hopeful that she would be in lineup for senior day tomorrow so she must be close.

Back