Softball

No question our limited number of wins against top 50 teams and our record against top 10 teams will hurt us come seeding time but I don't see the Sooners dropping below a 6 seed unless we lose the B12 tourney.

The committee will use the eye test come seeding week. I think OU's eye test will benefit the Sooners this year. I think we are no worse than a #5 or #6 seed with a Big 12 Tourney championship. I can even see OU jumping Florida in the seeding should the Gators have a bad SEC tourney and lose to #8 Alabama in the quarterfinals like they did last year losing to Ole Miss. Bama did beat the gators once in the regular season 3-2.

But we are most likely to see two SEC teams seeded ahead of the Sooners although I see a remote possibility there will be none.

This year's seeding committee has far more Power 5 representation than it did in 2017.

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=1WSB

2018 Big-12 Softball Tournament Bracket Announced
http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211714791

Pool A - (1) Oklahoma ... (4) Texas ... (6) Iowa State
Pool B - (2) Oklahoma State ... (3) Baylor ... (5) Texas Tech

FRIDAY, MAY 12 (Pool Play)
11 a.m. -- Game 1 - No. 2 Oklahoma State vs. No. 3 Baylor
11 a.m. -- Game 2 - No. 4 Texas vs. No. 6 Iowa State
2 p.m. -- Game 3 - No. 1 Oklahoma vs. No. 4 Texas
2 p.m. -- Game 4 - No. 3 Baylor vs. No. 5 Texas Tech
5 p.m. -- Game 5 - No. 2 Oklahoma State vs. No. 5 Texas Tech
7:30 p.m. -- Game 6 - No. 1 Oklahoma vs. No. 6 Iowa State

SATURDAY, MAY 13
11 a.m. -- Game 7 - Pool A 3rd place vs. Pool B 3rd place
1:30 p.m. -- Game 8 - Pool A 2nd place vs. Pool B 2nd place
4:00 p.m. -- Game 9 - Pool A 1st place vs. Pool B 1st place

I was able to get to the Saturday night Bedlam game. It was both fun and frustrating. I really wanted to see a run-rule game.

I do have one question, especially since I was unable to get the radio broadcast clearly inside Hines Field after it got dark. Did Alexa Schultz get ejected for the home plate collision? We were on the third base side and saw her leave, but we weren't sure why.

I was able to get to the Saturday night Bedlam game. It was both fun and frustrating. I really wanted to see a run-rule game.

I do have one question, especially since I was unable to get the radio broadcast clearly inside Hines Field after it got dark. Did Alexa Schultz get ejected for the home plate collision? We were on the third base side and saw her leave, but we weren't sure why.

Was never mentioned on telecast, of course they weren’t the best announcers. I don’t think she did anything to get ejected though.

NORMAN — After Oklahoma beat Oklahoma State 7-0 to clinch a three-game Bedlam series sweep, the Sooners took pictures and accepted trophies. Coach Patty Gasso grabbed a microphone and addressed the crowd. They even shot off fireworks in the outfield.

OU finished Big 12 play with an 18-0 record, becoming the first team to do that since 1998. The Sooners won the conference for the seventh consecutive year.

“This team is off the charts,” Gasso told fans after the game. “They wanted to do something for you before they left. It’s amazing to say this team just went 18-0 in Big 12 conference play.”

Link

With Schultz entering the game as a pinch runner for Wodach Shultz was going to leave the game and Wodach return as the catcher with Lowary in the circle.

I have not seen the official stats to date but nothing in the live stats indicates any ejection.

If the two time defending national champions with 3 losses, one to oregon and one to arizona away from home, who leads the nation in pitching defense and scoring, is a number 8 seed, it's time to rework how the seeding is done

If the two time defending national champions with 3 losses, one to Oregon and one to arizona away from home, who leads the nation in pitching defense and scoring, is a number 8 seed, it's time to rework how the seeding is done

With RPI being what it is 5-7-2018. I see only Florida and ASU having a mathematical probability of jumping the Sooners unless OU fails to win the Big 12 tourney. Florida would probably need to win the SEC tourney and ASU sweep #2 UCLA.

The Pac 12 schools do not play a conference tournament. #1 Oregon plays #29 Cal, #2 UCLA plays #7 ASU, #4 Florida has the SEC Tourney, #5 Washington plays #24 Oregon State and #6 FSU the ACC Tourney with #43 Notre Dame, #48 Pittsburgh and #53 Boston College and is ranked lower than the Big 12 with #16 Baylor, #26 OSU and #39 Texas.

Win the Big 12 Tourney and OU will have better wins than Oregon, Washington, FSU and ASU will have to beat #2 UCLA to have a chance to advance ahead of the Sooners.

Oregon------.71670
UCLA--------.70613
OU-----------.69601
Florida-------.69535
Washington--.68416
FSU----------.68416
ASU----------.67382

I would think that the adjusted RPI will have the Sooners ranked no worse than #5 or more likely #4 behind Florida. To be ranked lower the committee will have the Sooners put down based on the "eye test". I don't see the two time defending champion that is ranked #1 nationally in ERA, OBP, slg%, fielding %, 2nd in scoring behind S. Dakota St. and winning % behind UCLA being dropped 3-4 slots in the RPI because of the "eye test".

Also this year's committee has more Power 5 conference representation with 3 members and they are from the B1G, Big 12 and ACC which are conferences that get under ranked because of level of play in their conferences. This cannot hurt their perception of the Sooners which could be a plus when compared to 2017.

http://web1.ncaa.org/committees/committees_roster.jsp?CommitteeName=1WSB

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/SB Nitty Gritty thru May 6 2018.pdf

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/SB Team Sheets thru May 6 2018.pdf

Last edited:
With Schultz entering the game as a pinch runner for Wodach Shultz was going to leave the game and Wodach return as the catcher with Lowary in the circle.

I have not seen the official stats to date but nothing in the live stats indicates any ejection.

It didn't seem logical to think she'd have been tossed for that slide at home, but I've seen it called in college baseball when there was more of a violent collision at home. I did wonder because someone walked to the locker room with her, and I also saw someone go get her for the postgame celebration on the field.

I'm glad the OSU catcher wound up being okay. That was scary at first. I also hope the Poke contingent noticed (A) that our fans gave her a standing ovation when she stayed in the game, and (B) that our girls gave their graduating seniors a rose and a hug before the game. That fan base tends to expect the worst from us in everything.

Shippy was the Big Twelve POY. I won't argue too much. She was good. But, over Parker and Alo?

I would ask the Big Twelve how Mariah Lopez wasn't at least second team.

Shippy was the Big Twelve POY. I won't argue too much. She was good. But, over Parker and Alo?

I would ask the Big Twelve how Mariah Lopez wasn't at least second team.

By the numbers Lopez (14-0, 1.39, 75.1) except for the limited innings pitched definitely had a better statistical year in the circle than the puke's Clakley (15-8, 2.67, 152.0)and Texas' Brooke (12-7, 2.39, 102.1) and Von Sprecklen (10-10, 1.67, 138.2) although VS was also a SS with .311 average and .520 slg%.

IMHO the only real explanation is the conference wanted to spread team participation and awards among more schools and OU already had eight players listed while earning 4 of the 5 special awards.

Oklahoma pitcher Paige Parker and utility player Jocelyn Alo are among the top 10 finalists for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year, it was announced Wednesday.

Parker is a three-time All-American, holding 116 career wins to rank second in program history and lead all active Division I pitchers. She holds a 0.85 ERA and has one no-hitter, five shutouts and seven complete games this year.

Alo leads the country in home runs (23) and home runs per game (0.46). The freshman ranks fourth nationally in slugging (.964), fifth in RBIs per game (1.2) and eighth in RBIs (60) and total bases (67).

As for Big 12 honors, OU won four of the five individual awards. Parker was named Pitcher of the Year, Kelsey Arnold was tabbed Defensive Player of the Year, Jocelyn Alo earned Freshman of the Year and Patty Gasso was awarded Coach of the Year.

Link

NORMAN — There was a point this season where the Oklahoma Sooners were testing out some new hype music from the press box speakers.

The stands were cleared out and the team was on the field, and a staffer upstairs cycled through different songs.

No … nah … not this one. That’s how the cycle went for a while, per OU coach Patty Gasso. Then came the 1996 hit “Let Me Clear My Throat” by DJ Kool. The song fits Gasso’s era a little bit more than it does college students, but something about the beat was timeless.

Thursday, even OU athletic director Joe Castiglione expressed his affection for the program’s rally Twizzlers, a tradition now into its second year. When things get going, fans pick up the red candies and wave them over their heads. There’s an art to make sure it happens without breaking the Twizzler.

“I think that’s cool, especially in big moments, when we have momentum on our side,” infielder Sydney Romero said. “All you see is the fans twirling them around.”

Link

Comparison of Vanessa Shippy's and Sydney Romero's stats.

Stat--------------Shippy--------Romero
B.A.---------------.460------------.444
OBP---------------.613------------.508
SLG%-------------.653------------.730
Runs----------------65--------------49
Hits-----------------69--------------58
RBI's----------------26--------------50
HR's------------------4--------------11
FLDG%------------.971------------.977

Watching the OSU vs Baylor game in the Big XII Tournament.

The OSU pitcher might be able to concentrate on pitching better if her hair wasn't flying in her face all the time.

Looks like it will be the hypocrites in the championship game. Taking it to the pokettes, 7-1 in top of seventh.

Back