Softball

Oregon finished off Kentucky, run-ruled 11-1 in five.

Arizona State leads South Carolina 5-1 after five.

In the Super-Regionals, the SEC only won two games against non-SEC opponents: Kentucky over Oregon in the opener and LSU over Florida State. The overall record against non-SEC opponents was South Carolina 0-2 (assuming that ASU finishes them off), Arkansas 0-2, Alabama 0-2, LSU 1-2, and Kentucky 1-2. That's 2-10.

Georgia beat Tennessee 2-0, and Florida beat A&M 2-1.

My error: I thought Florida State eliminated LSU. That was the second game. Third game is on now. FSU leads 3-0 in the bottom of the fourth.

Oregon finished off Kentucky, run-ruled 11-1 in five.

Arizona State leads South Carolina 5-1 after five.

In the Super-Regionals, the SEC only won two games against non-SEC opponents: Kentucky over Oregon in the opener and LSU over Florida State. The overall record against non-SEC opponents was South Carolina 0-2 (assuming that ASU finishes them off), Arkansas 0-2, Alabama 0-2, LSU 1-2, and Kentucky 1-2. That's 2-10.

Georgia beat Tennessee 2-0, and Florida beat A&M 2-1.

Let me see the super-regionals were comprised of the all top 16 seeds exactly as seeded. The eight super-regionals were won by #1 seed Oregon over the #16 seed Kentucky, #2 seed Florida over the #15 seed aTm, #3 seed UCLA over the #14 seed Arizona, #4 seed OU over #13 seed Arkansas, #5 seed Washington over #12 seed Alabama, #6 seed FSU over #11 seed LSU, #7 seed over #10 seed Tennessee and #8 seed ASU over #9 seed S. Carolina exactly as seeded.

Every single game upset win in the super-regionals was by SEC teams (#16 seed Kentucky from the SEC over #1 Oregon, #15 seed aTm from the SEC over #2 Florida and #11 seed LSU also from the SEC over #6 FSU).

So the terrible RPI selection committee correctly seeded all 16 teams to their performance level with the top 8 seeds all making the WCWS. I think they call that a perfect seeding job except perhaps Kentucky, aTm and LSU getting swept would have been absolute perfection. As it is the committee's seeds only won 16 of 19 super-regional games.

You per usual are trying to make something out nothing. when nothing. Yes the SEC every super-regional road win won by an SEC team as the underdog and lost 1 game as the favorite to another SEC team. It is what it is.

P.S. the favorite team earns the right to be the home team. It is not given. If you want the best team to be the champion you don't have the #1 seed visit the #16 seed nor the #8 visit #9 you do the inverse.

Last edited:
Let's see, SEC teams playing SEC teams for the season. The road team won 57 and lost 104 games.

Seems that home field in the SEC is a very clearly established advantage.

Which means that a system that provides the higher seed to the home team is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Any arguments?

#WCWS Day 1 lineup in Oklahoma City:
(1) Oregon vs. (8) Arizona State, noon (ESPN)
(4) Oklahoma vs. (5) Washington, 2:30 p.m. (ESPN)
(2) Florida vs. (7) Georgia, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
(3) UCLA vs. (6) Florida State, 9:30 p.m. (ESPN2)

Let's see, SEC teams playing SEC teams for the season. The road team won 57 and lost 104 games.

Which means that a system that provides the higher seed to the home team is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Any arguments?

Yep the SEC and the Pac 12 played more games against top 25 teams on the road and at home than anyone else. Ditto more roadgames against the top 50. They call it SOS.

Look at the Nitty Gritty for the top 8 seeds. Look at the games against the top 25 and top 50 see who plays the most top teams and what conference they are from. Look at what two school in the WCWS played the fewest top opponents. Answer OU (9/23) and FSU (10/12). Florida (33/4) and Georgia 23/5) played 68% and 23% more top opponents. Look at what teams played the fewest true road games. It was OU (13) although ASU and Georgia made that list too. Florida played 46% more road games than the Sooners.

All the SEC conference road and home games count toward determining who plays the best competition and earns the top seeds for the season just as do their non-conference games. As should be the highest ranked teams always get the home field for the tournament because they earned it with their performance.

It is for certain Boston University did not earn the right to host a regional because they beat OU in the regular season. Those that hosted regionals and super-regionals earned that right by playing a 50 plus game schedule. That includes the SEC where about half of their games are against top quality conference competition with half those games on the road.

I.e. Arkansas got to play 3 against Missouri, Misssissippi, MSU and Alabama in Fayetteville but they also got to play 3 games in Baton Rouge, Columbia, Auburn and Athens. Slightly tougher than playing 3 in Waco, 1 in Stoolwater and 14 in Norman.

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/SB Nitty Gritty Through 5-13-2018.pdf

Last edited:

Any arguments?

Yep the SEC and the Pac 12 played more games against top 25 teams on the road and at home than anyone else. Ditto more roadgames against the top 50. They call it SOS.

Look at the Nitty Gritty for the top 8 seeds. Look at the games against the top 25 and top 50 see who plays the most top teams and what conference they are from. Look at what two school in the WCWS played the fewest top opponents. Answer OU (9/23) and FSU (10/12). Florida (33/4) and Georgia 23/5) played 68% and 23% more top opponents. Look at what teams played the fewest true road games. It was OU (13) although ASU and Georgia made that list too. Florida played 46% more road games than the Sooners.

All the SEC conference road and home games count toward determining who plays the best competition and earns the top seeds for the season just as do their non-conference games. As should be the highest ranked teams always get the home field for the tournament because they earned it with their performance.

It is for certain Boston University did not earn the right to host a regional because they beat OU in the regular season. Those that hosted regionals and super-regionals earned that right by playing a 50 plus game schedule. That includes the SEC where about half of their games are against top quality conference competition with half those games on the road.

I.e Arkansas played 3 at home against #24 Missouri, #40 Ole Miss, #20 MSU and #16 Alabama but the also went on the road for 3 against #11 LSU, #7 Georgia, #9 South Carolina and #18 Auburn. That is a slightly tougher schedule than going on the road to play 3 against #14 Baylor and 1 against #27 pukesville while hosting #36 Texas, #107 Kansas, #66 Tech, #71 ISU and 2 with #27 pukesville.

The hogs played 12 road games and 9 home games against top 25 teams in the SEC. OU played 13 road games total and only 9 against top 25 teams. And you want to complain about SEC scheduling where every SEC team played twice as many or more top 25 teams than did the Sooners. Ha ha!

https://extra.ncaa.org/solutions/rpi/Stats Library/SB Nitty Gritty Through 5-13-2018.pdf

I hope you'll someday tire of constantly pushing that narrative. You have every right to your opinion, but the rest of us grew weary of hearing after the first 100th times.

I truly understand your exasperation but I will continue to rebut Syb and his dialog about the SEC as long as his head is stuck in the sand and he expounds on the RPI favoring the SEC. The RPI favors only those teams that play top talent.

Fortunately for the Pac 12 and the SEC those games can come primarily in conference play just as they once did for the Big 12 when Nebraska, aTm and Missouri were members. Now as members of the Big 12, B1G and ACC it is virtually impossible to schedule the needed SOS.

Disliking the the RPI SOS formula is perhaps valid but there is no evidence to show such. I favor making team winning percentage more important but that is just me with do evidence to support the claim. I just think that a team should have more control of its final ranking/seeding.

If that does not meet your favor block out either or both and your problem will go away. Then there is also the option to not read the posts.

I.e Arkansas played 3 at home against #24 Missouri, #40 Ole Miss, #20 MSU and #16 Alabama but the also went on the road for 3 against #11 LSU, #7 Georgia, #9 South Carolina and #18 Auburn. That is a slightly tougher schedule than going on the road to play 3 against #14 Baylor and 1 against #27 pukesville while hosting #36 Texas, #107 Kansas, #66 Tech, #71 ISU and 2 with #27 pukesville.

The hogs played 12 road games and 9 home games against top 25 teams in the SEC. OU played 13 road games total and only 9 against top 25 teams. And you want to complain about SEC scheduling where every SEC team played twice as many or more top 25 teams than did the Sooners. Ha ha!

All of which ignores one simple reality. It is very simple to check. Did the road team win 57 and lose 104 in the SEC?

All of which ignores one simple reality. It is very simple to check. Did the road team win 57 and lose 104 in the SEC?

Which means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things even Kansas won fewer games on the road than they lost. The Big 12 teams lost considerly more road games than they won. Ditto OU. Do the home work and the same will probably be true for the Pac 12, B1G and ACC. The only thing your figures confirm is that it is more difficult to win on the road than at home. That is startling news. Ha, ha! We already know that to be the case. But that is probably why the RPI has a different win and loss weight factor for road, home and neutral games. It is an attempt to make the seeding more fair.

Last edited:
I vote for the RPI discussion to move to it's own thread. You two will never agree, and you two won't let it go. Skipping over these long tirades is tedious.

I vote for the RPI discussion to move to it's own thread. You two will never agree, and you two won't let it go. Skipping over these long tirades is tedious.

Block us both and your problem will go away. It won't bother me.

The problem doesn't go away. I click on Women's Hoops and the index shows me there is a new post on Softball. I click on softball and scroll to the bottom of the page and there you and Syb are fighting over who gets the last post (admit it, this isn't about changing someone's opinion, it is about who gets the last word "ha, ha")

One twice, twice OK, but the fiftieth time I get suckered by your sixth grade antics it starts to peeve me a bit. Sure I can waste time by checking to see who the last poster was but it all turns out to be a time waster.

Maybe I will start a new hobby and every time you past the same thing again I will post fifty posts in Urdu so you have to hunt thru them to keep tickling your bxxls.

You expose your character by saying "It won't bother me" That's all you care about, "me"

Have you ever been in a meeting where two immature sorts start this kind of back and forth? It obviously bothers others but you don't care because "It doesn't bother me."

Grow up man and end this.

The problem doesn't go away. I click on Women's Hoops and the index shows me there is a new post on Softball. I click on softball and scroll to the bottom of the page and there you and Syb are fighting over who gets the last post (admit it, this isn't about changing someone's opinion, it is about who gets the last word "ha, ha")

One twice, twice OK, but the fiftieth time I get suckered by your sixth grade antics it starts to peeve me a bit. Sure I can waste time by checking to see who the last poster was but it all turns out to be a time waster.

Maybe I will start a new hobby and every time you past the same thing again I will post fifty posts in Urdu so you have to hunt thru them to keep tickling your bxxls.

You expose your character by saying "It won't bother me" That's all you care about, "me"

Have you ever been in a meeting where two immature sorts start this kind of back and forth? It obviously bothers others but you don't care because "It doesn't bother me."

Grow up man and end this.

You can block post too. It is what it is. It appears to me you want to replace Syb.

Give it up, 5-string Chuck. The times, they aint a changin' – at least not anytime soon.

Block us both and your problem will go away. It won't bother me.

Baloney. You and this sybarite dude just want to show other people how smart you think you are in your analysis of RPI and anything else you choose to fight about. But you are probably going to get your wish. If only everyone else would do it.

You can block post too. It is what it is. It appears to me you want to replace Syb.

SS, you are not showing much mathematical skill with your insistence that over ranking teams in a conference from the start has NO impact on SOS for those exact teams. Even a total mathematical moron knows it does.

In fact that is one of the primary points made in the book: "How To Lie With Statistics." You clearly need to read that book.

Or do you want to be like one of the guys running for governor, who was foolish enough to admit (as A Graduation Speaker believe it or not) that he was terrible at math and never could get a decent grade in high school on it, but (and I quote) It doesn't matter because I have never had to use any math since I got out of high school.

Back