Softball

FWIW, OU FB was the #2 seed in the playoff behind Clemson last year. Agree w/ the gist of your point re; Patty's OOC's though.

Your are right my bad. I failed to recognize and mention when discussing the perceived weakness of the Pac 12 and Big 12 in football that OU, USC and Texas because of their being seen as a historic national powers can and will be more recognized than their conference peers. Provided Texas can turn their football program around. But all three still live with the additional burden of being members of a weak football conference come CFP recognition.

sportbet.com odds on WCWS:

This is not a solicitation to place a bet. FYI only.

OU to beat Washington is a -230 or 69.7% chance of winning the game.

Team odds to win the WCWS:

OU +260 or 27.78%. Field wins -380 or 79.17%
Oregon +300 or 25%. Field wins -420 or 80.77%
UCLA +330 or 23.26%. Field wins -490 or 83.05%
Florida +450 or 18.18%. Field wins -750 or 88.24%
Washington +800 or 11.11%. Field wins -1700 or 94.44%
FSU+1500 or 6.25%. Field wins -4500 or 97.83%
Georgia +1200 or 7.69% Field wins -2600 or 96.30%
ASU +1200 or 7.69%. Field wins -2600 or 96.30%

Team odds to make the Finals:

OU +120 or 45.45%
Oregon +135 or 42.55%
UCLA +145 or 40.82%
Florida +190 or 34.48%

Because bets are tweaked to evenly distribute money placement on both sides of the bet the percentage totals will not equal 100%. Nor will a teams winning it all and the field bet against that team equal 100%

But you can bet a $100 for OU to win it all and win $260. Or $100 for OU to make the Finals and win $120.

https://www.sportbet.com/news/odds/Baseball/Softball/

https://www.oddsshark.com/tools/odds-calculator

Last edited:
For those interested in a good discussion between fans of the WCWS the robocoach website is having one. Following is the link for anyone interested.

http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/post/wcws-2018-9751298?&trail=270

On that website RahOKU did a position by position comparison of OU and UW. It is an interesting statistical comparison but means nothing when comparing teams for one game head up.

He gives the edge to Knighten, Clifton, Romero, Pendley, Wodach, Alo and Aviu. He rates the pitching even gives to edge to UW's Bates as SS and omits a RF comparison. The comparison between Melhart for UW and Mendes for OU is as follows:

Player........B.A.....Runs......RBI's......HR.....OB%.......SLG%.....FLD%

Melhart.... .337.....23..........8...........0..... .392...... .348....... .913
Mendes.... .314.....46.........15..........0..... .393...... .412....... .959

Statistically the edge goes easily to Mendes and she has been on a roll of late. But Melhart has had only 58% of the AB's (89/153) that Mendes has which impact her offensive numbers.

On paper the edge is overwhelmingly OU's 7 positions to one (SS) with the pitching even. But for a single game any one break or an individual outstanding performance could tilt the score in the favor of either team. While they don't play it the odds would be big for OU in a seven game series.

Let the games begin!

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stats/13430

http://stats.ncaa.org/team/756/stats/13430

Last edited:
OKLAHOMA CITY — The streak is a point of pride for Lea Wodach, even if superstition leaves it better unsaid.

Oklahoma’s senior catcher has not allowed a passed ball in 55 starts this season.

“We don’t talk about that,” her father, Jim Wodach, joked on Wednesday.

OU, which continues its attempt at a third consecutive national championship this week at the Women’s College World Series, is well-known for its dominant pitching, led by Paige Parker and Paige Lowary. The dangerous hitters — Sydney Romero, Shay Knighten and now freshman phenom Jocelyn Alo — are becoming household names, if they aren’t already.

Link

Hope I'm not the 20th to mention, but OU will take on Washington at 1:30 p.m. today. Today's games will be televised by ESPN2.

That catch on the Shay Knighten hit was about as heartbreaking as it gets.

Ouch!! The best team in all three phases of the game won today. In hind sight Patty's move to relieve Parker proves to be a mistake. But that happens. That and OU's ability to play defense in critical situations. Tough row to hoe now. ASU is our next opportunity to advance. Also Washington's defense also wins ballgames.

I've never understood putting in a pinch hitter in situations where the stakes are high. I know Kelsey hadn't gotten much going today, but you have to trust your senior captain.

Tough, tough outing for Lowary today.

Was it a catch? I was listening at work, but didn't see the play. Chris Plank and the former player handling color (not sure who it was) didn't seem entirely convinced it was.

I think the refs made the right call and it was a catch. But it was very, very close.

Plain pitched well. Their defense was superb. We were iffy on defense, and our inability to field bunts came back to haunt us. Parker kept flirting with control problems until it bit her.

Our hitters kept trying to kill it rather than hit it. Not our best. Probably was Washington's best.. Hope ASU is as sloppy against us as they were against Oregon.

Ouch!! The best team in all three phases of the game won today. In hind sight Patty's move to relieve Parker proves to be a mistake. But that happens. That and OU's ability to play defense in critical situations. Tough row to hoe now. ASU is our next opportunity to advance. Also Washington's defense also wins ballgames.

Well, you can’t win them all. VERY tough to lose the first one and make the playoff. Don’t understand at the end putting in a pinch hitter when the other hitter has seen the pitcher. Not much chance and puts that very seldom used player in a terrible spot (but Patty knows stuff).
Bad defense and swinging at balls got us in this one. Maybe our out of conference didn’t prepare us well enough. Maybe the PAC-12 is just better than the rest of the country this year. Maybe maybe not we will see.

PL didn’t have it today which is surprising.

Maybe this team will rally and make the playoffs - One thing is for sure, OU’s pitching staff is much better prepared this year to handle this - in th past we were a one pitcher kind of team.

Was it a catch? I was listening at work, but didn't see the play. Chris Plank and the former player handling color (not sure who it was) didn't seem entirely convinced it was.

I have no problem with the out call on the catch. After watching the replay 4-5 times I can see where it could be interpreted that she never had control of the ball with her glove nor with her off hand as she transferred it back to her glove and we know that she never controlled the ball after it was returned to her glove. The question becomes did she ever control the ball with her off hand.

On may last view I was never 100% certain she ever had full control of the ball with either hand. But by rule I do not think the replay showed indisputable evidence that the catch call was in error and should be overturned.

Was it a catch?
---An argument could be made that she never established firm control.
---I thought it looked like the ball was actually touching the ground as she grabbed it when it popped out of her glove: she had the upper half, the ground may have been touching the bottom
---At best, we probably would have had runners on second and third with one run in, and we still would have needed a hit by Pendley to get to a tie.

On another board, someone cited this rule:

Sec 15 d. It is not a catch, if a fielder (while gaining control), collides with another player, umpire
or a fence, or falls to the ground and drops the ball as a result of the collision or falling
to the ground.

On another board, someone cited this rule:

Sec 15 d. It is not a catch, if a fielder (while gaining control), collides with another player, umpire
or a fence, or falls to the ground and drops the ball as a result of the collision or falling
to the ground.

If this is truly a rule, the stupid referees in the National championship series should know this and call it appropriately. There is a Ton at stake for these teams at this point - I would have love to have seen it called correctly and watched to see if OU could have come through.

Back