Softball

I really believe Alo should win the POY this year. The fact that she doesn't field much probably hurts her chances. If she played outfield more I believe she'd have a better chance of beating Garcia. I don't think Plain is a favorite, of the three finalists, but I may be wrong. Garcia hasn't really impressed me the past 2 weekends, but it seemed like UCLA came out of nowhere last year and thumped us, so who knows! I will be surprised if we don't at least make the finals.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/OU_Softball/status/1399882024068976640[/TWEET]

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/OU_Softball/status/1399883674133409796[/TWEET]

Man oh man Bruins fans are upset Alo won player of the year! Some are saying it's a foolish award, however when Garcia won i'm sure that wasn't the case. Their claim is that Alo doesn't play the field and therefore not as complete a player as Garcia. I don't know, but I know OU is the team to beat no matter what other fans say!

Man oh man Bruins fans are upset Alo won player of the year! Some are saying it's a foolish award, however when Garcia won i'm sure that wasn't the case. Their claim is that Alo doesn't play the field and therefore not as complete a player as Garcia. I don't know, but I know OU is the team to beat no matter what other fans say!

Very true! But with Garcia and Faraimo UCLA does have a team capable of winning 2 of 3 against the Sooners. The chances are fairly good I think that the championship series will come down to OU's offense vs UCLA's pitching.

OU and OSU combined for eight NFCA All-America honors, with the Sooners tallying three first-team accolades (Alo, Jennings and Jayda Coleman) and two second-team members (Kinzie Hansen and Grace Lyons), and the Pokes being awarded one first-team member (Alysen Febrey), one second-team (Carrie Eberle) and a third-team member (Hayley Busby).

It isn't unusual for pitchers to win who do not bat, is it?

Garcia shut OU down last time. 16-3. She could pitch both games. First OU needs to beat James Madison. Garcia would be the everyday picture for UCLA. Not sure if fatigue will be a factor. OU could go May or Saille. More depth for OU.

Man, down 1 run going into 8th. If we can't pull this one out we have a tough road ahead of us. I thought our hitting was better than this, but maybe we aren't.

Not today we weren't, way too passive, too many first pitch strikes, too many 2-0 takes of obvious strikes- I've thought all along we do that too many times, apparently JT thinks taking a 2-0 pitch is a smart play, maybe stats bear that out, I don't know, but I didn't see Alexander throwing rise balls on 2-0 count that rose out of the zone for ball three, so whatever she was throwing should have been easier to hit. Instead we take strike 1, then strike out on rise balls.

What happened today was not totally unexpected. Top quality pitching normally beats top quality hitting. And JMHO but Alexander was the best pitch today we have faced this year. She was throwing in the low 70's, her ball had movement, she was excellent changing speeds, she was using the entire strike zone and we could not hit her rise ball nor did we have the ability to lay off of it.

Now if the Sooners can win their next two games in the loser bracket first against Georgia and then against the loser of the 2nd round bracket on the opposite side of the Sooner bracket they will have to beat the pukes/JMU winner twice Sunday to make the championship finals. That is 2 games on Saturday and 2 games on Sunday while the pukes/JMU play Friday and have Saturday off to get ready for Sunday's game. Tough road to hoe.

What happened today was not totally unexpected. Top quality pitching normally beats top quality hitting. And JMHO but Alexander was the best pitch today we have faced this year. She was throwing in the low 70's, her ball had movement, she was excellent changing speeds, she was using the entire strike zone and we could not hit her rise ball nor did we have the ability to lay off of it.

Now if the Sooners can win their next two games in the loser bracket first against Georgia and then against the loser of the 2nd round bracket on the opposite side of the Sooner bracket they will have to beat the pukes/JMU winner twice Sunday to make the championship finals. That is 2 games on Saturday and 2 games on Sunday while the pukes/JMU play Friday and have Saturday off to get ready for Sunday's game. Tough road to hoe.

I see us beating Georgia (JMHO), but that next game that I placed in bold (above) may be an even tougher match-up than our first-round game against JMU. We'll likely be facing either UCLA or Bama, and we all know what that means – either Garcia or Fouts, probably the two best riseball pitchers in softball.

The Sooners put themselves in this position by allowing themselves to be dominated by that very, very good riseball of OA. Like a previous poster touched on, if OU's hitters could have laid off that out-of-the-zone riseball, they would have gotten some pitches they could have handled. Hopefully, they will have learned something from that experience if/when they go up against Fouts or Garcia. Personally, I think Fouts is, at this moment, the better of the two.

I see us beating Georgia (JMHO), but that next game that I placed in bold (above) may be an even tougher match-up than our first-round game against JMU. We'll likely be facing either UCLA or Bama, and we all know what that means – either Garcia or Fouts, probably the two best riseball pitchers in softball.

The Sooners put themselves in this position by allowing themselves to be dominated by that very, very good riseball of OA. Like a previous poster touched on, if OU's hitters could have laid off that out-of-the-zone riseball, they would have gotten some pitches they could have handled. Hopefully, they will have learned something from that experience if/when they go up against Fouts or Garcia. Personally, I think Fouts is, at this moment, the better of the two.

I agree with you on Fouts. She is presently throwing the ball much better than Garcia (perfect game against UCLA Friday night). And if you listened to Pattys post game pressor and her other statements later she hinted the hitters had abandoned their game plan and I suspect that was more specifically about how to approach the OA rise ball.

Thankfully we get Garcia Saturday morning and she is not throwing the ball consistenly well as we speak. In her last 4 games she has thrown 2 shutouts (FSU & Va-Tech) but allowed 6 runs against Va Tech and Alabama. Which Garcia do you get?

Fouts was in a “zone” in last night’s game—a special place that made her virtually unbeatable. Her performance was fun to watch, unless of course you’re a player or fan of the team Bama was playing. I agree that she was the best pitcher we have seen so far, for that one game.

I have been more impressed with Alexander than Garcia. Talk about special! She used her rise and her drop to take out two pretty good Big 12 teams. That play she made to keep OSU from scoring on a squeeze bunt was nothing short of incredible! OA is not just a good pitcher, she’s one heck of an athlete!

Patty’s #1 priority in the off season has to be to recruit a dominant pitcher. That should not be as difficult as some might think with the supporting cast we’ve got coming back next year.

Fouts was in a “zone” in last night’s game—a special place that made her virtually unbeatable. Her performance was fun to watch, unless of course you’re a player or fan of the team Bama was playing. I agree that she was the best pitcher we have seen so far, for that one game.

I have been more impressed with Alexander than Garcia. Talk about special! She used her rise and her drop to take out two pretty good Big 12 teams. That play she made to keep OSU from scoring on a squeeze bunt was nothing short of incredible! OA is not just a good pitcher, she’s one heck of an athlete!

Patty’s #1 priority in the off season has to be to recruit a dominant pitcher. That should not be as difficult as some might think with the supporting cast we’ve got coming back next year.

They are bringing in the #1 high school recruit, who happens to be a pitcher. But I expect some very good college pitchers will be entering the transfer portal and would be interested in coming to OU.

They are bringing in the #1 high school recruit, who happens to be a pitcher. But I expect some very good college pitchers will be entering the transfer portal and would be interested in coming to OU.

Good to know, MsP!

I’m sure G’s injury didn’t help. But it’s all too obvious this team’s outstanding hitting may not be enough to win key games. The transfer portal can be our friend in the off season.

Good to know, MsP!

I’m sure G’s injury didn’t help. But it’s all too obvious this team’s outstanding hitting may not be enough to win key games. The transfer portal can be our friend in the off season.

It'll be interesting to see how Patty handles it....I could see a big turnover in the staff for next year with pitchers in and out of the portal.

Juarez was very sharp today -- great to see.

Mariah Lopez is looking awfully good in relief for Arizona against FSU. I wish she were still a Sooner.

Update: Lopez just surrendered a three-run homer, giving FSU the lead in the bottom of the sixth, so ... not looking so very good.

Last edited:
Back