Softball

Juarez was very sharp today -- great to see.

Mariah Lopez is looking awfully good in relief for Arizona against FSU. I wish she were still a Sooner.

Update: Lopez just surrendered a three-run homer, giving FSU the lead in the bottom of the sixth, so ... not looking so very good.

Florida State wins in the bottom of the 7th.

Did Lopez leave because Lombardi left?

What a win for the Sooners! Rachel Garcia put UCLA up, 3-0, in the third inning with a three-run shot to right, and G. comes in and shuts down the Bruins the rest of the way, as the Sooners go on to score 10 unanswered runs. Donihoo homered twice after going 3-for-3 with a homer in the early game against Georgia.

Great pitchers don't always beat great hitters.

Last edited:
I was really happy for Garcia.

Donihoo doesn't look like she could hit a ball out of the backyard. She has skinny arms and legs but her bat packs a wallop.

Florida State wins in the bottom of the 7th.

Did Lopez leave because Lombardi left?

I think she left because with Juarez, Saile, May and the other 4 young pitchers she knew her innings were going to go way down and they would have. Though maybe not as much as she expected with Juarez being slow to come around after surgery and having her innings too drop significantly. JMHO.

She threw 117.2 innings in 2019 going 19-1 with 29 appearances and 21 starts. Juarez is the only Sooner pitcher throwing 100 innings in 2021 with 112.2 after the two games today. Saile has 96.2 innings and May 76.2. Lopez may have struggled to get 50 innings in 2020. She threw only 75.1 innings in 18 appearance and 12 starts going 8-3.

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stats?id=14800&year_stat_category_id=14661

https://stats.ncaa.org/team/29/stats?id=15620&year_stat_category_id=14861

Last edited:
What a win for the Sooners! Rachel Garcia put UCLA up, 3-0, in the third inning with a three-run shot to right, and G. comes in and shuts down the Bruins the rest of the way, as the Sooners go on to score 10 unanswered runs. Donihoo homered twice after going 3-for-3 with a homer in the early game against Georgia.

Great pitchers don't always beat great hitters.

Great hitters only have to be good when it’s their turn at the plate. Great pitchers have to be focused on every pitch.

Despite Garcia’s all-world career at UCLA, I think the heat and humidity finally wore her down. She looked gassed in the last two or three innings she was on the field.

Great hitters only have to be good when it’s their turn at the plate. Great pitchers have to be focused on every pitch.

Despite Garcia’s all-world career at UCLA, I think the heat and humidity finally wore her down. She looked gassed in the last two or three innings she was on the field.

I'm hoping JMU is gassed going into the rubber match tonight. Their all world pitcher has to be exhausted, and slightly injured it appears.....

I'm hoping JMU is gassed going into the rubber match tonight. Their all world pitcher has to be exhausted, and slightly injured it appears.....

If OU can keep the pressure on her and not give her easy innings, OU's offense will break through again.

She is phenomenal but OU's offense can be relentless.

Plus, if "G" throws like yesterday, there won't be much margin for error.

This rain delay is killing me. I'm itching to get this rubber match underway.

That’s my hope as well. Odicci wasn’t nearly as sharp in game two as she was in the first game. You could also tell her ankle was bothering her. Then again, great athletes seem to find a way to fight through adversity and even be at their best sometimes.

How you been, jmizzy? Seeing an old friend like you on the board always brings a smile to my face! 😊

That’s my hope as well. Odicci wasn’t nearly as sharp in game two as she was in the first game. You could also tell her ankle was bothering her. Then again, great athletes seem to find a way to fight through adversity and even be at their best sometimes.

How you been, jmizzy? Seeing an old friend like you on the board always brings a smile to my face! 😊

Doing great my friend. Working as usual, and getting old.:ez-laugh:

I'm so ready to get this deciding game going. Hopefully it will start before 11pm. Maybe the rain is passed. The Bama vs FSU game is B-O-R-I-N-G!!!! :ez-laugh:

Hope you and your family are doing well.

The organizers just did JMU a huge favor, moving our game to tomorrow.

As basically a one-pitcher team, this is a huge gift to them.

The organizers just did JMU a huge favor, moving our game to tomorrow.

As basically a one-pitcher team, this is a huge gift to them.

That’s true, but I don’t have a problem with the new schedule: both play-in games completed tomorrow and the championship series moved to Tuesday and Wednesday.

There was nothing fair, or right, about last night’s debacle. OU and JMU were still playing at around 11:30. The OSU-FSU game didn’t end until 2:18 this morning. Tournament organizers and everyone involved in making the decision to play that late should be ashamed of themselves!

Besides, I was still up past midnight watching women’s softball on television. That’s WAY past my bedtime! 😝

That’s true, but I don’t have a problem with the new schedule: both play-in games completed tomorrow and the championship series moved to Tuesday and Wednesday.

There was nothing fair, or right, about last night’s debacle. OU and JMU were still playing at around 11:30. The OSU-FSU game didn’t end until 2:18 this morning. Tournament organizers and everyone involved in making the decision to play that late should be ashamed of themselves!

Besides, I was still up past midnight watching women’s softball on television. That’s WAY past my bedtime! ��

We could have been playing by 8:30 CT tonight, though. Barring some crazy number of extra innings, we wouldn't have been playing anywhere near midnight tonight.

It's just weird that they took that approach last night and then randomly changed it today. And arguably, the team it benefits the most is JMU.

It's also weird that we're playing the same team three times before the finals. Maybe it's always been like that and I've just forgotten, but it seems odd.

Last edited:
NCAA Softball is catching MAJOR grief on Twitter.

oswho fans are furious that they were made to play late last night but OU is "getting what it wants because of Coach Gasso."

OU fans are furious because a) Alexander, the one player who needs it most, gets an extra day of rest and b) because our game starts at 3pm tomorrow, meaning many fewer OU fans in the stands -- and those who had tickets for today but have to work tomorrow are especially livid, as are some who bought tickets for the first game of the championship series tomorrow and can't go the other nights.

FSU fans, like oswho fans, are mad they had to play late last night but suddenly the approach changes (but their team is still alive so they're less angry than oswho fans).

Everyone's mad about the relative last-minute change.

OU and JMU fans are mad that their players were kept waiting around all day for no reason (but let's face it, any JMU fan who doesn't see this move as a big boost for their team is kidding themselves).

The worst part was sitting around five hours for the players of both teams and for the fans wanting to see the late OU game.

Was that communicated at the stadium? I know it was on TV that if Bama lost, both if necessary games would be Monday.

The worst part was sitting around five hours for the players of both teams and for the fans wanting to see the late OU game.

Was that communicated at the stadium? I know it was on TV that if Bama lost, both if necessary games would be Monday.

Even on TV, that info was given late. Anyone planning to attend the OU-JMU game tonight would have been on their way, if not already in the stadium.

We could have been playing by 8:30 CT tonight, though. Barring some crazy number of extra innings, we wouldn't have been playing anywhere near midnight tonight.

It's just weird that they took that approach last night and then randomly changed it today. And arguably, the team it benefits the most is JMU.

It's also weird that we're playing the same team three times before the finals. Maybe it's always been like that and I've just forgotten, but it seems odd.

Just win

A truly professional organization would have had a game plan in place for all situations in advance. It's not like there have never been weather delays at the CWS before.

The bracket has been the same for some time but the chances of playing a team 3 times only occurs about a third of the time when you advance to the semis after losing to the semi qualifier on opening day.

Logically if Georgia or UCLA had beaten us in the losers bracket neither would be playing JMU for the 3rd game but only the 2nd game.

Total cluster by the NCAA. Complete.

On the flip side, JMU got a whole night to sit around and let their exit doors do a little puckering.

Back