Softball

Some pitchers at Bahl's level would want to play somewhere where they pitched every game.

Was Grace Green injured last year? She went from Freshman of the year to not starting regularly her Junior year? Now, not starting at all?
Also, I haven't caught who the Seniors who are leaving are? Can't find it online either as to who is being recognized as Seniors.

Was Grace Green injured last year? She went from Freshman of the year to not starting regularly her Junior year? Now, not starting at all?
Also, I haven't caught who the Seniors who are leaving are? Can't find it online either as to who is being recognized as Seniors.

Here’s the roster for the softball team. Hopefully, someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but the players listed as “Redshirt Seniors” (sometimes referred to as “super seniors”) have exhausted their eligibility and will not be back. Those listed as “Seniors” have another year due to Covid—IF they choose to use it.

Hope that helps!

https://soonersports.com/sports/softball/roster?path=softball

These players will not be returning next year: Taylon Snow, Jana John’s, Lyndsey Elam, Hope Trautwein, Jocelyn Alo.

I've also noticed that grace green does not play anymore. I'm surprised she has not transferred. Second team All-American as a freshman to warming the bench x makes me sad for her. She went anywhere else she would be playing, probably a starter.

I've also noticed that grace green does not play anymore. I'm surprised she has not transferred. Second team All-American as a freshman to warming the bench x makes me sad for her. She went anywhere else she would be playing, probably a starter.

Is there a possibility she is redshirting this year? Or is that even a thing anymore with all the changes in transfer rules etc?

Lyons probably is coming back and probably Green, too. Otherwise they would have gone through the Senior Day. Next year Brito might move to third base and Green could play some first base.
By the way, Green has played this year mostly as a pinch hitter. She has had injuries that have hampered her.
Quincee Lilio is the only player that redshirted this year.

Green isn't redshirting. She pinch hits occasionally (and usually takes advantage of her opportunity when she does), and she played in the field for a couple innings in a recent blowout (Kansas, maybe?) I, too, wish she played more. She definitely showed flashes of brilliance her freshman year. Her injury came at a terrible time, and then the lineup is just too damn good above her for her to crack. With Snow leaving next year, I imagine Green will be our resident starting first baseman.

And yes, Lyons will be returning. I think the infield starting lineup will look like this next year:
1B: Green
2B: Jennings
SS: Lyons
3B: Britto
C: Hansen

Green isn't redshirting. She pinch hits occasionally (and usually takes advantage of her opportunity when she does), and she played in the field for a couple innings in a recent blowout (Kansas, maybe?) I, too, wish she played more. She definitely showed flashes of brilliance her freshman year. Her injury came at a terrible time, and then the lineup is just too damn good above her for her to crack. With Snow leaving next year, I imagine Green will be our resident starting first baseman.

And yes, Lyons will be returning. I think the infield starting lineup will look like this next year:
1B: Green
2B: Jennings
SS: Lyons
3B: Britto
C: Hansen

Jana John’s will be missed on offense and on defense, but that’s not a bad lineup.

Anybody in the loop to replace Hope Trautwein?

Greens at bats have fallen way off this year, not sure why. She has only had 22 official at bats, with 4 hits I think, 3 of which were HR. She did however walk 9 times I wonder about her previous injury flaring up again.
As far as pitching emmy Guthrie will be back unless she transfers, May will be the likely # 2, and McAdoo will return, but unfortunately nothing about the few chances she has gotten would lead one to believe she will contribute
Incoming freshman Kierston Deal LHP from NC who was the # 1 player in last years class according to extra innings
SJ Geurin also a LHP from Leander, Tx the # 7 pitcher in the class
The other two freshmen are utility players so could play anywhere including first I guess.

Jana John’s will be missed on offense and on defense, but that’s not a bad lineup.

Anybody in the loop to replace Hope Trautwein?

Kierston Deal is a left-handed pitcher from Winston Salem, NC and is rated the No. 1 player in the class of 2022 by Extra Inning Softball.

In her junior season of high school, Deal threw 136 innings with an absurd 292 strikeouts and a 0.64 ERA.

"Kierston was a late find for us,” Gasso said. “She had great success in the travel ball circuit, especially this last season, and showed some dominance going through the PGF championship. She compliments our pitching staff with her intense work ethic and focus. I'm really excited for what Kierston can do for us working with (associate head coach and pitching coach) Jen Rocha."

Only have to hope she too approaches performing at near the same level as Jordy Bahl has coming out of high school as the #1 playe.r nationally.

Also SJ Guerin LHP who is ranked #20 nationally/#7 pitcher by Extra Inning Softball.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/softball/oklahoma-softball-signs-four-class-of-2022-players

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for providing insight. I had found the RSSeniors that were leaving, right after I posted, then I could not log-in. Yes, it seems that as a Freshman Grace Green had an even better year thanLyons, though both were exceptional, if my memory isn't failing me.
THIS is a tough team to make...an embarrassment of riches.
I think Alo's HR on Saturday was her 112th and 22nd of the season. I appreciate that she takes walks and is fired up to get on base.

Kierston Deal is a left-handed pitcher from Winston Salem, NC and is rated the No. 1 player in the class of 2022 by Extra Inning Softball.

In her junior season of high school, Deal threw 136 innings with an absurd 292 strikeouts and a 0.64 ERA.

"Kierston was a late find for us,” Gasso said. “She had great success in the travel ball circuit, especially this last season, and showed some dominance going through the PGF championship. She compliments our pitching staff with her intense work ethic and focus. I'm really excited for what Kierston can do for us working with (associate head coach and pitching coach) Jen Rocha."

Only have to hope she too approaches performing at near the same level as Jordy Bahl has coming out of high school as the #1 playe.r nationally.

Also SJ Guerin LHP who is ranked #20 nationally/#7 pitcher by Extra Inning Softball.

https://www.si.com/college/oklahoma/softball/oklahoma-softball-signs-four-class-of-2022-players

Thanks for the heads up, SoonerSpock! I learned about Kierston Deal last year from a member of the staff at her school, East Forsyth. He told me OU was getting a great young lady and an outstanding student, but I had no idea she was ranked so high nationally she might be expected to be part of the rotation next year, the way Jordy did this season.

Patty and her staff don’t rebuild, they reload every year! Exciting stuff!!

Gasso confirms Bahl arm soreness and her missing pitching against the pukes in the finals of the Big 12.

To me, the hardest thing to do in all sports, no matter if it's team sports or individual sports, is to start a season playing at a very high level and maintain it throughout the entire season. It's not necessarily easier to have that slow build of momentum until you peak at just the right time, but it's certainly more common.

How much of this team's identity is built around Jordy's skill as a pitcher and her fire as a player? Last year, we struggled somewhat at the pitching position and the rest of the team drew together to support the pitcher, no matter who was pitching, up until the final game when Juarez was fabulous. If Jordy isn't able to come back, they may have to remember how they supported the pitchers last year in order to have the success they want this year.

I understand what you are saying but just not sure that is the issue.
I mean I believe the pitchers know they
have great support.

Most if not all of the starters and sometime starters have played at a high level at both collegiate and pre- collegiate level
I don't see letting a Freshman be your momentum giver. These women are coming
off a national championship year. There are 4 red-shirt seniors. They know how this works. And I am not saying that she does not bring enthusiasm and fire, but so do Brito, Jennings, Lyons, Hansen and others.

We lost to OSU because of their pitchers and I am okay with that. Feel we were capable of doing better at bat but we didn't for whatever reason.
Hope they come back to NCAA tournament knowing they have to be fired up to hit. Our fielding was fine. I believe if Jordy can't throw that the other two could pitch better than they did in the tournament and that could be enough.

Does any team have the abundance of riches that this team has?

I really enjoy watching them.and hope for them that they win the WCWS, because I do not see another team being as good as they are, with or without Jordy. Of course, really hope she plays. I feel she will, at least in the WCWS if we make it. But what I feel is certainly not anything but a feeling...no inside knowledge.

I guess we just see it differently, which I get. This is just my take.
And I agree that the team may have to buck-up
Hope and Nicole since they have had problems in the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Back