Softball

Baylor pitched their ace today for 10 innings. Will be interesting to see who BU pitches on Sunday. I think OU starts Mendes then goes to Lowry then Parker. Space them out, save something for the 3rd game. We need to sweep or win 2 of 3.

Girls finally got their bats going in the 10th today. Nice win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great win an a monumental confidence booster. Now the gals need to sweep the bears Sunday. My guess is both Lopez and Parker start tomorrow.

Strength of schedule playing in the Big 12 a killer. UCLA has 5 more losses than OU but also have multiple quality wins. All of OU's losses are quality losses except the two to Cal Poly.

UCLA has 8 (Kentucky, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Washington-2, and Oregon-2) quality wins while the Sooners have 3(UCLA, Arkansas and Baylor). We need a sweep Sunday.

If you actually do a study of the SEC and Pac 12, it isn't that clear why they have such a high rpi.

Examine the schedules of teams like Florida. They left the state one time. UCLA is the only team in the top ten or fifteen that they played. They lost to a winless Maryland team at home. Let's repeat that. Florida lost at home to Maryland. Try to find what on their schedule covers that loss.

Then, look at A&M. They played about eleven games in College Station against absolutely nobody. They went to California one weekend and beat Florida State, 2-0. They struggled to take down ASU and defeated a rather overrated Michigan team. They also beat BYU. Then, they came home to College Station and lost to---Houston. Really? At home? So, did Florida State make up for Houston? Must have because A&M has not played any of the top SEC teams yet---none. They have avoided Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, and LSU. They have losses to Mississippi State, Missouri, and Arkansas. Of their four losses, we have beaten three of them. Why is their rpi so high?

Alabama has barely been outside of Bama, and they lost two to Louisiana-Lafayette, run-ruled once. Now, they lose twice to Washington in Tuscaloosa. Why is their rpi so high? Who have they beaten outside of conference? Texas Tech?

The SEC has very artificially high rpi's, and I don't know why. LSU lost at home to Penn State. Kentucky lost to Pitt twice.

Then, there is the Pac Twelve. Who did Oregon beat to get such a high rpi? Utah lost at home to Omaha. Remember Omaha? They also lost to San Diego State and Nevada.

These teams keep losing at home to nobody. OU hasn't lost at home, and our losses were at least to credible teams---no Marylands, Fordhams, Houstons, Omahas, Pitts, Penn States, Nevadas.

Lifting parker didn't hurt us but lifting wodach almost cost us the game. I was at the game so I didn't hear this my brother said TV said they put in alyssa to catch because she had been catching lowary. I thought it was probably because wodach has been hurt and patti didn't want to wear her out in the first game of a three game series.

If you actually do a study of the SEC and Pac 12, it isn't that clear why they have such a high rpi.

Examine the schedules of teams like Florida. They left the state one time. UCLA is the only team in the top ten or fifteen that they played. They lost to a winless Maryland team at home. Let's repeat that. Florida lost at home to Maryland. Try to find what on their schedule covers that loss.

Then, look at A&M. They played about eleven games in College Station against absolutely nobody. They went to California one weekend and beat Florida State, 2-0. They struggled to take down ASU and defeated a rather overrated Michigan team. They also beat BYU. Then, they came home to College Station and lost to---Houston. Really? At home? So, did Florida State make up for Houston? Must have because A&M has not played any of the top SEC teams yet---none. They have avoided Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, and LSU. They have losses to Mississippi State, Missouri, and Arkansas. Of their four losses, we have beaten three of them. Why is their rpi so high?

Alabama has barely been outside of Bama, and they lost two to Louisiana-Lafayette, run-ruled once. Now, they lose twice to Washington in Tuscaloosa. Why is their rpi so high? Who have they beaten outside of conference? Texas Tech?

The SEC has very artificially high rpi's, and I don't know why. LSU lost at home to Penn State. Kentucky lost to Pitt twice.

Then, there is the Pac Twelve. Who did Oregon beat to get such a high rpi? Utah lost at home to Omaha. Remember Omaha? They also lost to San Diego State and Nevada.

These teams keep losing at home to nobody. OU hasn't lost at home, and our losses were at least to credible teams---no Marylands, Fordhams, Houstons, Omahas, Pitts, Penn States, Nevadas.

First you play the games using the system in place. If you don't like the system get it changed. During the interim you don't belly ache, you compete and let the cards fall where they may.

In softball the committees biggest tool is the rpi which by seasons end is fairly accurate at projecting the NCAA tournament seeds. Even with its flaws It is what it is and we will live by it.

First #1 Florida (43-3) has wins over #2 Auburn-2, #6 UCLA, #8 FSU, #16 Kentucky-2, #17 Cal, #22 South Carolina-3, #23 Michigan, #24 Arkansas-3. That is 14 wins over top 25 teams. Additionally they have wins over #26 Georgia-3 and #28 Missouri-2. 19 Quality wins by my count defining a win over a top 40 team a quality win. Additionally they still have a series with #9 Tennessee and a game with #8 FSU.

Second lets look at # 5 A&M (39-5) they have wins over #8 FSU, #18 BYU, #21 ASU, #22 South Carolina-2, #23 Michigan, #24 Arkansas-2. That is 8 wins over top 25 teams. Plus they have quality wins over #26 Georgia-2, #28 Missouri-2, #30 Ole Miss-3, #34 MSU-2, #37 OSU-3. That is 20 quality wins.

Third is #14 Alabama which is ranked behind #13 OU in the RPI. They have 7 wins over top 25 schools (#12 LSU-2, #22 South Carolina-2 and #24 Arkansas-3) and 11 quality wins when you add in wins over #34 MSU-2, #29 Louisiana Lafayette and #28 Missouri.

Four you ask who has Oregon beat. The answer is #4 Washington, #6 UCLA, #15 Utah-2, #16 Kentucky, #17 Cal-3, #18 BYU and #21 ASU-3. That is 10 top 25 wins plus #28 Missouri-2 for 12 quality wins.

Last #13 OU has 4 top 25 wins over #6 UCLA, #10 Baylor, #18 BYU and #24 Arkansas. Plus wins over #30 Ole Miss, #31 Texas-3, #32 Tulsa and #34 MSU for a total of 10 quality wins.

When you factor in all the data SOS, SOS of your opponents, quality wins, bad losses, game location, etc. it is easy to see why the rankings are what they are and they will be more accurate as the season progresses and the data becomes more complete.

The system will never seem to justify itself when you take isolated games to attempt to prove a point. Using partial data and excluding data because you deem it wrong or unimportant has no factor points the finger at you not the system. Could the system be improved? Most definitely. However when you look at the results of past conference tournaments and WCWS the system has been extremely accurate at prognosticating the future.

Also of note is you failed to mention #12 LSU (32-14) with the two losses this weekend to Tennessee and ranked just ahead of the Sooners. LSU has only 2 top 25 wins against #2 Auburn and #14 Alabama. Plus wins over #26 Georgia-3, #34 MSU-3 and OSU-2 for a total of 10 quality wins. OU will leap frog the tigers in the next RPI provided we win the series with Baylor.

Sweep the Baylor series and OU should jump to #10 or #11 over LSU and Baylor in the RPI. Potential targets going forward are #11 Minnesota that has no quality opponent left on its schedule (OU has 5, 2 with Baylor and 3 with OSU, #7 Oregon with 1 game against Arizona and 3 against FSU and could lose 2-3 more also UCLA with 12 losses and series against #3 Arizona and #21 ASU could easily have 15-16 losses.

Last edited:
I am making it clear that I don't buy into the basic plan of the rpi. If you just look at the non-conference records of the SEC teams, it doesn't explain how they got such high rpis. Once they have the high conference rpis, it is easy to say that you are playing a lot of high rpi teams.

My point is that they are not doing anything to build those rpis, especially that would explain some of the ridiculous losses.

Again, explain how some of the SEC almost never left home in the non-conference season, played a couple of games against good teams, but somehow managed to lose to some bad teams. Why didn't this affect their rpi?

I think we had a complaint a couple of years ago. I think that there is reason to complain now. It won't accomplish anything. But, it is time to call it out. You are buying into the idea that a bunch of games against last place SEC teams are quality wins.

A&M has not even played the best teams in the SEC---Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, Auburn, LSU (?). They managed to play only Mississippi, Mississippi State, South Carolina, Arkansas, and Georgia, losing at least one in each series until this weekend. This came after a lot of home games against inept teams. Don't look at the rpis. Look at their schedule, where they played them. Are they really quality wins?

17-2 Florida--lot at home to Maryland
13-3 Tennessee
13-3 Texas A&M---lost at home to Houston
12-5 Auburn
10-7 Alabama
8-9 LSU--lost at home to Penn State,
8-9 Kentucky
7-9 Mississippi State
6-11 Ole Miss
5-11 Missouri
5-14 Arkansas
3-13 South Carolina
3-14 Georgia

15-2 Arizona
11-4 Utah--curiously, the committee excluded the second place team. Omaha beat them at home. Nevada and San Diego State beat them.
10-6 Oregon
8-7 Washington
7-7 UCLA
6-8 Arizona State
6-8 Oregon State
3-9 California--a quality win---get serious. Who has Cal beaten?
0-14 Stanford

Baylor pitched their ace today for 10 innings. Will be interesting to see who BU pitches on Sunday. I think OU starts Mendes then goes to Lowry then Parker. Space them out, save something for the 3rd game. We need to sweep or win 2 of 3.

Baylor's #2 pitcher is also tough. Sophomore Gia Rodoni (Los Banos, Calif.) has a record of 11-1 and an ERA of 1.81; with 107 strike-outs in 92 innings.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-softbl/mtt/gia_rodoni_984244.html

The #3 pitcher is a freshman (Shelby McGlaun) that has pitched 57 innings in 17 games, with an ERA of 1.95.

The Baylor Ace (Kelsee Selman) played her first two years at LSU before transferring to Baylor. She is a Texas girl from Lufkin.

Baylor Stats:
http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-softbl/stats/2016-2017/teamcume.html

The double-header will be a battle today.

Baylor's #2 pitcher is also tough. Sophomore Gia Rodoni (Los Banos, Calif.) has a record of 11-1 and an ERA of 1.81; with 107 strike-outs in 92 innings.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-softbl/mtt/gia_rodoni_984244.html

The #3 pitcher is a freshman (Shelby McGlaun) that has pitched 57 innings in 17 games, with an ERA of 1.95.

The Baylor Ace (Kelsee Selman) played her first two years at LSU before transferring to Baylor. She is a Texas girl from Lufkin.

Baylor Stats:
http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/w-softbl/stats/2016-2017/teamcume.html

The double-header will be a battle today.

Surprised she didn't go to aTm. Lufkin is aggieland!

April 23, 2017 / 1st game

Paige Lowary is the starting pitcher for OU. Baylor scores 2 runs in the top of the 1st and leads 2-0 after 2 innings.

Top of 3rd .. Baylor has runners on 1st and 3rd with one out. Paige Lowary has given up 6 hits so far.

Lowary gets the start......doesn't look sharp at all.

Baylor getting some questionable calls from the blues

BU up 3-0 in the third

OU looks flat.....

After 1 out in the third inning, Mariah Lopez comes in as a relief pitcher. Baylor leads 3-0 with runners on 1st & 3rd.

Going into the bottom of the 3rd inning, Baylor leads 4-0.

At this point, Baylor has 7 hits and OU has 1 hit.

Sooners will need a big offensive rally to pull this one out.

BU 4-0 end of three

BU scores after getting caught in a rundown between 3rd and home. Big mistakes by Wodach and Romero....:facepalm

So far, Baylor's #2 pitcher has allowed OU only one base-runner. Baylor leads 4-0 after 3 complete innings.

In the bottom of the 4th, Fale Aviu gets an RBI with a double. After 4 complete innings, Baylor leads 4-1.

Nicole Mendes is now OU's 3rd pitcher in the game. She came on to start the 5th inning.

Last edited:
Clifton hits 2-run home run in the bottom of the 5th.
Baylor leads 4-3 after 5 complete innings.

Back