Softball

Baylor brought in their Ace pitcher (Kelsee Selman) in the bottom of the 6th, with Baylor leading 4-3.

Bottom of 6th ... OU gets one runner on base with a walk. That is all.
After 6 complete innings, Baylor still leads 4-3.

Top of 7th .. Baylor got a runner to 3rd base with two outs, but did not score.
Baylor leads 4-3 going to the bottom of the 7th.

FINAL: Baylor wins 4-3
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=173139

Last edited:
After last night's game, I thought Baylor might be disheartened. Instead, they came out on fire, and we made little mistakes on the first three hitters: that pirouette to first gives enough time for the runner to get there, the error by Caleigh, then, Pendley juggled the ball in right at first. If either of the first two doesn't happen, Baylor doesn't score.

Then, we misplayed a rundown into the fourth run. Have to be able to field your position against a bunt against a bunting team.

Our big guns didn't come. Our runs were due to others. Romero, Knighten, and Pendley sat this one out.

Iowa State 4 Texas 2: takes two of three from Texas. First series win for the Cyclones since 2009.

I thought the plate up was awful in the first game. I didn't get good looks at either of the controversial "safe" calls in the third, but the radio folks said the first one was probably wrong (at second), and the one with the run-down was terrible. But I'm curious if anyone did get a good look at that one in particular, among those who were in attendance.

I thought the plate up was awful in the first game. I didn't get good looks at either of the controversial "safe" calls in the third, but the radio folks said the first one was probably wrong (at second), and the one with the run-down was terrible. But I'm curious if anyone did get a good look at that one in particular, among those who were in attendance.

After watching the replay when I got home from the game on the plays at second and at home several times I though the Baylor runner got her hand on the bag under the tag which was made high on the arm. Also after watching the replay the OU outfielder playing SS in the OU shift minimal infield experience. She attempted to tag the runner around the elbow. Had she have placed her glove at the front of second base let the runner come to her it would have been an easy out.

Can't blame Hatfield (I think) for her play as she is playing out of position and what you get is a result that is one of the risk in playing the shift working against you. If Arnold is at SS and taking the throw it is an out, no doubt in my opinion.

On the play at home the ump merely ruled that Knighten missed the tag. Had she have touched the runner she would have been out. The replay was not absolute that Knighten touched her or didn't touch her in my opinion. My crimson colored glasses says she did make the tag but I could not be absolutely certain.

But in that game Baylor was more aggressive, played better defense, out hit us 10-6 and got better pitching. They should have won the game. Damn it. But for certain the Sooners never quit.

Six of our eight losses have been by 1 run. Cal Poly beat us twice 3-1 for the only exceptions. Unfortunately the rpi does not take game differential into consideration. OU is 7-6 in one run games.

http://www.soonersports.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=31000&SPID=127251&SPSID=750355

Last edited:
Most of the calls were the type that you could see twenty replays and not be sure. Did she tag her? One play was a clear mistake---the runner who slid into first base was clearly out. That was the only certainty, and nobody really challenged it.

Most of the calls were the type that you could see twenty replays and not be sure. Did she tag her? One play was a clear mistake---the runner who slid into first base was clearly out. That was the only certainty, and nobody really challenged it.

I was always told to never slide into first base because you lose speed. Is the only benefit of sliding the possibility of dislodging the ball from the glove?

I was always told to never slide into first base because you lose speed. Is the only benefit of sliding the possibility of dislodging the ball from the glove?
Some people believe that you are faster if you dive than if you run---no contact. But, if you slide, it definitely slows you up. In the case yesterday, the runner would have been safe if she had just run. By sliding, it really did reduce her speed significantly, and she was obviously out. But, the ump missed the call. He called what should have been rather than what was.

Some people believe that you are faster if you dive than if you run---no contact. But, if you slide, it definitely slows you up. In the case yesterday, the runner would have been safe if she had just run. By sliding, it really did reduce her speed significantly, and she was obviously out. But, the ump missed the call. He called what should have been rather than what was.

You're obviously correct on the play where the runner slid headfirst into first base. Replay clearly showed she was out and the ump badly missed the call. There's really no excuse for an umpire missing such an easy call. The only reason (excuse) would be that he/she doesn't have the benefit of seeing the runner's foot still in the air when he/she hears the sound of the ball going into the fielder's glove.

Those other two very close safe calls were much more difficult calls. I thought the runner may have been out as second, but it was very close and could have gone either way. And the replay of the play at home was another tough one. Did Shay's tag make contact? I can't say one way or the other. What is certain, however, is that Lea made a mistake by not chasing the runner back down the line toward third. They had that girl dead to rights if Wodach doesn't make that mental error.

You're obviously correct on the play where the runner slid headfirst into first base. Replay clearly showed she was out and the ump badly missed the call. There's really no excuse for an umpire missing such an easy call. The only reason (excuse) would be that he/she doesn't have the benefit of seeing the runner's foot still in the air when he/she hears the sound of the ball going into the fielder's glove.

Those other two very close safe calls were much more difficult calls. I thought the runner may have been out as second, but it was very close and could have gone either way. And the replay of the play at home was another tough one. Did Shay's tag make contact? I can't say one way or the other. What is certain, however, is that Lea made a mistake by not chasing the runner back down the line toward third. They had that girl dead to rights if Wodach doesn't make that mental error.

Lea has to have known since Jr. High always force the runner back to third. Two more steps and it is an easy out. Mentally we did not play game two well and it cost us.

I suspect that Lea's two errant throws were a result of her broken knuckle on her throwing hand.

I concur that running through first base is faster than sliding head first. I have never seen any scientific analysis to confirm the fact. However has anyone ever seen anyone slide head first in order to win a 100 meter dash?

I am certain that analysis has been done even if not published. Personally I have never seen anyone slide to win in a sprint race. Have seen a few lean, stumble and fall but no slides.

I have seen sprinters lean at the tape, even with an occasional dive. I have no idea as to the effectiveness. I have never seen a sprinter slide into the tape.

Lea has to have known since Jr. High always force the runner back to third. Two more steps and it is an easy out. Mentally we did not play game two well and it cost us.

I suspect that Lea's two errant throws were a result of her broken knuckle on her throwing hand.

We're in full agreement on Lea's lapse in judgement. However, I don't recall Lea's "two errant throws." Did those occur in the game we lost 4-3 (the first game of Sunday's doubleheader)? I was either out of the room during those plays, or my old brain is failing me.

As to whether the injury to her throwing hand affected her ability to throw accurately, I do recall Lea throwing out either 3 or 4 baserunners in the first two games of the 3-game series.

Pardon my English, but WTF??? Going into our weekend series, Baylor's RPI was #10, ours was #13. We win the series two games to one, outscoring BU by a combined score of 12-6. So Baylor's RPI improves to #9 and ours creeps up to #12?

This is exactly why I believe there's no credibility in whatever formula is used to determine the RPI.

I'm awaiting an explanation, Spock (Not trying to start an argument; I really need to have that explained to me).

Selman and Lowary were #1 and #2 in the Big Twelve in ERA going into this weekend. This weekend, they were:

Selman---Lowary

IP: 17.1 -- 6.0
H: 15----10
R: 8-----6
ER: 7-----5
BB: 5-----1
K: 11----5
WP: 1----2
HBP: 1----0
NP: 241--102

Lowary shot up from 0.68 to 2.10 in conference play. Selman went up from 0.90 to 1.49. Meanwhile, Parker went from 1.73 to 1.12.

Other head-scratchers:

• Alabama was swept by Washington in a two-game weekend series. The Tide's spot in the RPI (#14) remained unchanged. Washington went from 4 to 3.

• Tennessee took 2 of 3 from LSU. The Lady Vols dropped a spot in RPI, falling from #9 to #10, and LSU also dropped a spot, from #12 to #13.

What's the rationale for the above?

If it's any consolation, looks like the Tide and Tigers will join OU on the road for the Super Regionals (assuming all three teams win their regionals).

Edit: Thanks for the explanation, Spock. I do appreciate the effort, even though I've seen the formula multiple times. It does make sense, in theory. But then it seems to contradict itself almost every time it's put into practice.

Last edited:
Back