Somebody is trying to kill Tony Allen

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
I've heard that he's had money on his head since the incident.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4094591

Security around Tony Allen was increased Thursday at United Center after a Chicago man issued a death threat against the Boston Celtics guard, The Boston Globe and Yahoo! Sports reported on Thursday.

The Celtics and Bulls had extra security around their benches during Game 3 of the first-round playoff series to keep an eye on Allen. A source said the added security presence was a precautionary measure, according to the Globe.

Allen, who is from Chicago, played nine minutes on Thursday night and did not score in the team's 107-86 win against the Bulls.

Sources told the Globe that Allen has been receiving threats in Chicago for some time. Allen also was threatened prior to a March 17 game at Chicago. He didn't make that trip, however, because of a thumb injury.

]

"Is that what you're going to write about? Is that what you're going to write about?" Allen said when asked about the threats, then walked away, the Globe reported.

"It's a private team matter," Celtics president Rich Gotham told Yahoo! Sports. "It's just not something that we are going to talk about."

Celtics coach Doc Rivers told the Globe: "It's a team matter. We will keep it in house."

The NBA also declined comment to Yahoo! Sports.

In April 2007, Allen was found not guilty of aggravated battery in a Chicago court. That charge was connected to a fight in August 2005 outside a Chicago restaurant.

Last edited:
moral is you can't be a professional and be in the streets at the same time.

for some reason i completely forgot he was Big 12 POY, that's pretty amazing. but i certainly dont forget that bogus game-winning shot up in Stillwater.

still had the ball in his hand when the game clock ran out and backboard light-up in red. it was very, very close but one of the worst calls i'd ever seen.

Don't go back, Tony, it's not worth it.

for some reason i completely forgot he was Big 12 POY, that's pretty amazing. but i certainly dont forget that bogus game-winning shot up in Stillwater.

still had the ball in his hand when the game clock ran out and backboard light-up in red. it was very, very close but one of the worst calls i'd ever seen
Wasn't Tony.

Don't go back, Tony, it's not worth it.

Wasn't Tony.

Play, didn't he go to Crane? Is that a West side school? I know Collins went there and grew up on the west side but didn't know if the school was located there. Chicago is a crazy place and is setting a record for murders this year I think (maybe last year).

Also, have you read "Gang Leader for a Day"? Amazing book about a grad student that spent 5 years following a gang leader around the Robert Taylor housing projects.

Allen is an IVL, better know as Insane Vicelord. Started by Jeff Fort and ran by Willie Lloyd.

Allen is an IVL, better know as Insane Vicelord. Started by Jeff Fort and ran by Willie Lloyd.

Not surprising, people would be shocked if they knew how many of these guys were in gangs when they were younger. And if they are really into it it's tough to leave them behind. Just google Mandrell Dean for an example.

I use to play against Mandrell Dean at a gym in downtown OKC. It was sad, because he lost all of his skills. One thing about gang members is they look funny when they play pick up ball.

Play, didn't he go to Crane? Is that a West side school? I know Collins went there and grew up on the west side but didn't know if the school was located there. Chicago is a crazy place and is setting a record for murders this year I think (maybe last year).

Also, have you read "Gang Leader for a Day"? Amazing book about a grad student that spent 5 years following a gang leader around the Robert Taylor housing projects.

In 2008, 314 U.S. soldiers were killed in combat in Iraq. In the same year, 509 people were murdered on the streets of Chicago.

Awful.

Yes Tony went to Crane, he's a year older than Will Bynum who also when to Crane. And of course Sherron.

Crane is a Westside school, and yes the murders have increased and most of it is gang related. They've had 3 or 4 shootings/beatings at Crane just this year, and 2 murders at Manley High. Everything on the West Side sort of runs around K-Town (basically Lawndale and South Lawndale) which is a bit South and West of downtown. Crane is a bit more north than K-Town. Sherron is from more on the northwest side of town, but it all sucks.

I haven't read the book but I have heard of it, I'm sure I'll read it some time.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know that Sherron's best friend was murdered in front of his house.

DM, Mandrell could hoop back in HS and early college days. It was really sad. My former brother in law was in the same gang as Mandrell and I actually met him one day up in the Highlands. He was probably only about 25 at the time and still was in great shape and talking about his next tryout...as well as talking about shooting some Crips. :(

No kidding, almost 10 murders a week!! Disgusting.
That's why it is hard not to pull for guys like Sherron, no matter what jersey they wear. Just to make it out of there or not get sucked into that lifestyle is a huge obstacle and it's nice to see guys come through it for the better. Not to get on his jock, but I have a lot of respect for Sherron getting his degree. (I'll grant you his draft status played a roll) There aren't very many people on his block, and none that I'm aware of in his family, that have a degree. Hats off.

Chicago, Detroit, NY, DC, LA, San Antonio, ATL, you could go and on with the same type stories, different cities.

Its amazing that many of the inner city kids even make it to college. Most here know my history because I've shared it for yrs on the old OUinsider boards, and every other board. When I was playing the street games in DC, I knew better because I was raised better back here in OKC. By the grace of GOD I survived and lived!!!! So many of those young guys know nothing else, and society does very little to help them.

Not meaning to preach, but I'm currently working on my Master's degree in Human Services/Social Work. I also volunteer in the prison ministry. I'm currently doing an internship with the Juvenile Justice Ctr. here in OKC, working in the Family Planning Division. I get to attend meetings with families who have had their kids taken from them. I see so many mothers/sisters/grandmothers/etc especially in the black community, very few fathers/grandfathers/uncles/brothers/etc trying to get the kids back..... Very sad and enraging at the same time.

I thank GOD that I survived!!!! I ruined a promising military career trying to live that lifestyle. I spent over 5 yrs in prison trying to live that lifestyle. Now almost 10 yrs removed, I have a BS degree, and I'm working towards my Masters. I make a decent living, and I contribute to society, as a 2 time felon. How sorry of a person would I be if I didn't reach out to the Tony Allens of the world??? I tell you the truth, from HS top 2% of my class, to being a student at OU, to getting Sargeant stripes in the Army at 22 yrs old, to being sentenced to 6 yrs in prison, the adjustment is crazy!!!! I knew how to make it back because I had a foundation in place, a solid family and strong faith in GOD.

Most of those young men have nothing but sports/rap music/lottery numbers as hope. More men who know the way, need to step up and show the way. Especially in the black community....... I'm a member and a witness.

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I had to get that off my chest. GOD bless you guys.

Nice post Play.
Even better post JMizzy.
What a story. Congratulations!
I have a lot of admiration for you.

Last edited:
Chicago, Detroit, NY, DC, LA, San Antonio, ATL, you could go and on with the same type stories, different cities.

Its amazing that many of the inner city kids even make it to college. Most here know my history because I've shared it for yrs on the old OUinsider boards, and every other board. When I was playing the street games in DC, I knew better because I was raised better back here in OKC. By the grace of GOD I survived and lived!!!! So many of those young guys know nothing else, and society does very little to help them.

Not meaning to preach, but I'm currently working on my Master's degree in Human Services/Social Work. I also volunteer in the prison ministry. I'm currently doing an internship with the Juvenile Justice Ctr. here in OKC, working in the Family Planning Division. I get to attend meetings with families who have had their kids taken from them. I see so many mothers/sisters/grandmothers/etc especially in the black community, very few fathers/grandfathers/uncles/brothers/etc trying to get the kids back..... Very sad and enraging at the same time.

I thank GOD that I survived!!!! I ruined a promising military career trying to live that lifestyle. I spent over 5 yrs in prison trying to live that lifestyle. Now almost 10 yrs removed, I have a BS degree, and I'm working towards my Masters. I make a decent living, and I contribute to society, as a 2 time felon. How sorry of a person would I be if I didn't reach out to the Tony Allens of the world??? I tell you the truth, from HS top 2% of my class, to being a student at OU, to getting Sargeant stripes in the Army at 22 yrs old, to being sentenced to 6 yrs in prison, the adjustment is crazy!!!! I knew how to make it back because I had a foundation in place, a solid family and strong faith in GOD.

Most of those young men have nothing but sports/rap music/lottery numbers as hope. More men who know the way, need to step up and show the way. Especially in the black community....... I'm a member and a witness.

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I had to get that off my chest. GOD bless you guys.
Great post, Jmizzy.

I don't have a similar story to you, and we don't share the same race, (just a brother from another mother) but through odd/tragic circumstances I also have witnessed and lived through some similar things. The fact that you are choosing to give back to your community and blacks is wonderful, because they along with all people need help in the parts of the country you mentioned. I don't want to get political and break rules but I'll just say it's people like you that will save people, as opposed to other ideas tried and failed. It's the spirit of human charity that must rule.

I see so many mothers/sisters/grandmothers/etc especially in the black community, very few fathers/grandfathers/uncles/brothers/etc trying to get the kids back..... Very sad and enraging at the same time.
Yea, that's the tragic root of the the problem right there. The family unit in this country, and even more prominently in the black community, has been destroyed. The roll of the father has been altered, and for reasons we aren't allowed to discuss. Again, I've seen it first hand, it's not something that throwing money at it will fix. It's people like you, even if it's one family at a time.

Back to basketball......ummm, go Capel!

Nice post Play.
Even better post JMizzy.
What a story. Congratulations!
I have a lot of admiration for you.

Thank you Cheno... I should have mentioned that I also lost my precious son to violent street life. Seeing your 17 yr old laying there with 4 bullet holes in his head, dying is the worst that life can deal you. My heart bleeds for the guys that grow up in that environment. My joy overflows when I read about guys like Collins who make it out!!!! How can you not pull for him?? That is why I'm not as hard on guys like Born Ready...... He could be doing alot worse than throwing basketballls at guys during a pick up game.

Back