Somebody is trying to kill Tony Allen

AWESOME post Play, as usual......

I might add that I meet and work with just as many young white kids as well. Brokeness has no color lines..... They are all kids who deserve better, and I love them all to the death. I used the black community because as a black man, I know firsthand the struggles of finding positive male figures in the inner cities...

Thank you again Play. I have always admired your openess as well. Same with Cheno.... You guys are awesome!!!! Back to HOOPS!!!!:):)

:boomer:sooner

jimizzy its great to hear what you are doing! much respect from me

Right on jmizzy! My church has been doing work at the Northeast Community Center that just reopened through the Weed and Seed program. You should come check it out, there are some incredible things going on there in what is one of the worst areas of the city. It's right on NE 33rd and Lottie, they have a few square miles blocked off. In that area along there were over 160 drive bys last year alone! (it's actually down from 2005 when there were 260). I can't even imagine what it would be like to grow up in a neighborhood where there were 3-4 drive by shootings every week.

As I said earlier in the thread my ex brother in law was a major gang member (456 Piru) and I ran around with him for awhile. Playing basketball tends to put you in some of those circles but I certainly saw enough that told me I didn't want that lifestyle for the long run. The said thing, like jmizzy mentioned, is most kids don't have the family structure to go back to or foundation to rebuild from.

Hopefully Tony Allen has learned his lesson and will just stay out of Chicago for awhile.

Right on jmizzy! My church has been doing work at the Northeast Community Center that just reopened through the Weed and Seed program. You should come check it out, there are some incredible things going on there in what is one of the worst areas of the city. It's right on NE 33rd and Lottie, they have a few square miles blocked off. In that area along there were over 160 drive bys last year alone! (it's actually down from 2005 when there were 260). I can't even imagine what it would be like to grow up in a neighborhood where there were 3-4 drive by shootings every week.

As I said earlier in the thread my ex brother in law was a major gang member (456 Piru) and I ran around with him for awhile. Playing basketball tends to put you in some of those circles but I certainly saw enough that told me I didn't want that lifestyle for the long run. The said thing, like jmizzy mentioned, is most kids don't have the family structure to go back to or foundation to rebuild from.

Hopefully Tony Allen has learned his lesson and will just stay out of Chicago for awhile.

Grace, I heard about that project on the east side. I would love to check that out!!! Obviously your church has a vision/mission of making a difference where it is needed!!! I applaud the leaders and you for caring enough to try and impact someone's life. I would like to meet you Grace and hang out. I believe that we have some of the same ideas and hopes for the future.... We need to make that happen. An OU/KU connection.:):clap

That may get me in trouble with a few of my Sooner brethren around here.:):)

We need to make that happen. An OU/KU connection.:):clap
That may get me in trouble with a few of my Sooner brethren around here.:):)

If OU/KU fans can get along now just think how easy it would be for the rival gangs to get along. :dance005:

If OU/KU fans can get along now just think how easy it would be for the rival gangs to get along.
As the famous Youlbrenner (sp?) says in Cool Runnings: "This doesn't mean, dat I like you."

Guys I want to say that the stories that some of you have shared may not have a whole lot to do with OU basketball, but there will not be a more important message posted on this board this entire year than what you have said. I hope that some young guys who visit this board will pay close attention to what has been posted.

I'm glad you took a few minutes to post those stories. :clap

I see so many mothers/sisters/grandmothers/etc especially in the black community, very few fathers/grandfathers/uncles/brothers/etc trying to get the kids back..... Very sad and enraging at the same time.

JMizzy, I believe we all appreciate reading your posts and your inspiration to others based on your personal tragedies. I quoted the above since I spent several years in the Big Brothers / Big Sisters program. One thing I can say is a given: Boys will usually struggle in life without some form of male influence. I don't notice it to be any different based on race. I really can't stress enough how important it is for young males to have another male influence to guide them through their childhood and adolescent years.

As for Tony Allen, I really hope and pray things work out for the best with him.

In that area along there were over 160 drive bys last year alone! (it's actually down from 2005 when there were 260). I can't even imagine what it would be like to grow up in a neighborhood where there were 3-4 drive by shootings every week.

What's sad to me, is that I watch the news every night. I knew that it was bad in that area. But I had absolutely NO idea that there were that many drive by shootings in this CITY, let alone one neighborhood. I can't say I'm surprised, though, for reasons I probably cannot get away with discussing on a message board!

I've actually taken quite an interest in the "street" life the past few years. My wife organized and curated the Harlem Renaissance show at the OKC Museum of Art this spring. We visited Harlem, and she did a ton of research on all things Harlem. I've always been a bit intrigued in the lifestyle, as a guy who grew up in a tiny little town, but it gave me an avenue to read up on it a bit more, and watch a couple of documentaries. Obviously, it doesn't give me much of a background, but it gives me enough of one to feel sorry for the majority of people who get hung up in the lifestyle. Most of them don't "choose" it per se, but get caught in the web, because it's the only thing they know.

Here's to hoping Tony Allen can find his way out of this. I'm afraid, though, that this story doesn't end well.

Last edited:
What's sad to me, is that I watch the news every night. I knew that it was bad in that area. But I had absolutely NO idea that there were that many drive by shootings in this CITY, let alone one neighborhood. I can't say I'm surprised, though, for reasons I probably cannot get away with discussing on a message board!

I've actually taken quite an interest in the "street" life the past few years. My wife organized and curated the Harlem Renaissance show at the OKC Museum of Art this spring. We visited Harlem, and she did a ton of research on all things Harlem. I've always been a bit intrigued in the lifestyle, as a guy who grew up in a tiny little town, but it gave me an avenue to read up on it a bit more, and watch a couple of documentaries. Obviously, it doesn't give me much of a background, but it gives me enough of one to feel sorry for the majority of people who get hung up in the lifestyle. Most of them don't "choose" it per se, but get caught in the web, because it's the only thing they know.

Here's to hoping Tony Allen can find his way out of this. I'm afraid, though, that this story doesn't end well.

Indy, congrats to your wife on the show. I wasn't able to attend but everyone I know who did said it was awesome!!

I agree about the news coverage but most cities don't want to admit that they have problems and basically if someone doesn't get killed they usually don't report it. OKC is also an interesting city because the way it is laid out you can get pretty much anywhere while avoiding the worst parts of the city. We've had a ton of people in our church who had no clue what was happening on the East side, North Highlands, Classen/Penn, and South side of our city because they mostly live in Edmond and rarely come into the city except to work and maybe on the weekends. And even then you don't have to get off the freeway hardly at all.

Jmizz, I thought you grew up on the mean streets of Ponca City?:confused:

Haha......

Lots of great comments and insight from so many people. You guys are AWESOME!!! Thanks to everyone who takes the time to do ANYTHING!!! It all helps, no matter how big or small the sacrifice may be.

PokeJ- I lived in Ponca City when I was a kid. My dad was from Ponca City, my mom from OKC. I was born in OKC, and then my dad got a job at Conoco. We lived in Ponca until I was in the 6th grade, and then we moved back to OKC. My paternal grandmother lived there, along with several of my aunts/uncles. Some still live there. I went back to Ponca for my Jr/Sr year of HS. I graduated, tried Juco b-ball for a semester, then went to OU for 2 1/2 yrs. I then joined the Army and that is when my life changing events began.....

I know that its confusing, but it all occured. :) As I got older and more into the "thuglife", I wound up living in DC/Md/Va where I finally paid the price for my misguided ways. I wound up doing over 6 yrs in various prisons throughout DC/Md/VA. Prison helped me refocus and turn my life back onto the right track. I still consider OKC/Ponca City my homes, though most of my "growing up" was done abroad.

Back