Sooner fans giveth and Sooner fans taketh away

The problem with Sunday night isn't church it's football.

We had more on a Wednesday night game in the buckle of the Bible belt, that excuse doesn't fly in my opinion.

I didn't say it was a good one, I just said its the only thing I could think of. There's no reason we should have had less of a crowd than against Arkansas.

BTW, props to seniorsooner for driving from Tulsa.

I didn't say it was a good one, I just said its the only thing I could think of. There's no reason we should have had less of a crowd than against Arkansas.

It's inexcusable and indicative of just how spoiled and catered to most Sooner fans are. I can guarantee you that if OU is undefeated and Arizona was having a normally good year this is nearly a sell-out game. The bandwagon fans sicken me. If you have tickets and let them go unused because you don't think the team is worth watching then I say $%% you.

Today, for the first time in my life, I moved down to the primo seats from my rafters perch. I just could not believe how many open seats were down there.

Of course with my luck a whole family arrived and had tickets for the row I had chosen. No big deal though, there was another open seat on the isle just across from me.

Having seats in the "donor section" is not worth a penny because no one wants to use them apparently.

I am dismayed and perplexed. Of course I am not speaking to any of the true fans out there. Not even the football fans have an excuse since the Stoops troops were in the house signing autographs. It took over an hour for them to give away the 1,000 first fans in the door hats. It's just sad.:confused:

Props to anyone that made the trip, for that matter! Especially those that traveled some distance to make it.

Re: crowd

The cheapest ticket prior to today was $10. Today the cheapest ticket was $30. Sad.

This is what kept me away. And the fact that they charge anyone over 2 years old for a ticket. So, in order to take my 4-year-old to the game, it would have cost me $60.00, plus concessions. My "sports budget" is much tighter this season, so I am saving it for a good conference game.

Frankly, ticket prices are an issue. I was going, until I got on the web and saw what it was going to cost. A lot of you know I'm a HUGE OU fan, and used to have season tickets. Now, being a father of two LITTLE ones, it's much harder. Therefore, I try to go as much as possible. But when they're struggling to get butts in the seats, it's crazy to have $30.00 as the cheapest seats. Hell, I can go to the NBA game just down the road tonight for $20.00 a pair.

This is what kept me away. And the fact that they charge anyone over 2 years old for a ticket. So, in order to take my 4-year-old to the game, it would have cost me $60.00, plus concessions. My "sports budget" is much tighter this season, so I am saving it for a good conference game.

Frankly, ticket prices are an issue. I was going, until I got on the web and saw what it was going to cost. A lot of you know I'm a HUGE OU fan, and used to have season tickets. Now, being a father of two LITTLE ones, it's much harder. Therefore, I try to go as much as possible. But when they're struggling to get butts in the seats, it's crazy to have $30.00 as the cheapest seats. Hell, I can go to the NBA game just down the road tonight for $20.00 a pair.

Didn't have to do with ticket prices, more to do with people actually showing up...there were over 10,000 tickets sold for the game.

Was embarrassing at the 5 minute mark watching 3/4 of the stadium leave and the Arizona fans (old ladies) sitting right infront of me laughing at our crowd...

Was embarrassing at the 5 minute mark watching 3/4 of the stadium leave and the Arizona fans (old ladies) sitting right infront of me laughing at our crowd...

You should have laughed at her team.

Didn't have to do with ticket prices, more to do with people actually showing up...there were over 10,000 tickets sold for the game.

This has always been a problem since the tickets are tied to donor points for football seating.

Speaking of embarrassing fans, did anyone else witness the fool wearing the gansta AZ cap near the top of section LS8 who kept screaming "PAC 10, PAC 10, PAC 10, PAC 10!"? Of course that only lasted for about the first five minutes of the game, after that I moved down the one of the thousands of seats open behind the benches. I kept looking up to see what he was doing, I'm not sure but I think I saw him sobbing and swallowing his tongue. :capelspin

Last edited:

I am certainly not one to make excuses for the crowd, but someone told me that the tickets were extremely expensive for a game of this caliber. I was told the tickets were priced similar to the Texas and OSU game. Is that true? If so, what a horrid mistake by the AD.

My ticket in LE2 was $60. I have noticed Sunday night Thunder games are maybe 2/3 full and way less crowd involvement than the ones on a weekday or especially Friday night, even against a decent team. Sunday night is just a bad night for basketball. Luckily this is the last Sunday game of the season I believe. Unfortunately our next 3 home games will have small crowds as the regular fans won't come out to see Centenary, Northern Colorado and Maryland-Eastern Shore and the students will be on winter break.. Looking forward to Bedlam on January 11th.

Sunday night is just a bad night for basketball.

Sunday night at 6pm is a great time for basketball. If you're a basketball fan. No work...early tip...perfect. It seems like no matter what day or time there is a game someone says that's not a good time for basketball. I'm curious as to what day and time is good?
I don't like it but I can see why the AD department put $30 on the tickets. The name Arizona gave them the reason to. Might as well sell 10,000 tickets at $30 and get 7,100 or whatever in the seats than sell 10,000 at $15-20 and get 7,500 butts in the seat.

Might as well sell 10,000 tickets at $30 and get 7,100 or whatever in the seats than sell 10,000 at $15-20 and get 7,500 butts in the seat.
I'm not sure you have thought that through. Most of the empty seats (obviously most of the difference in tickets sold and attendance) were season tickets. The decision to make the game a "premium" game hurt walk up sales. The empty seats that were already paid for consisted of season ticket holders not attending. Season tickets were not more expensive this year because of Arizona than any other year, so to say that the premium seating netted them more money is faulty, because 10k tickets that were sold were season tickets that were priced no differently than any other year. Basically, even if this game was Nothern Colorado, the same number of tickets would have been sold. Yes, there are face values for every ticket, but the lump sum for season tickets ends up being the same as any other year, so it's made up in other games.

(disclaimer: there are some tickets that may have been part of the "package" they have on soonersports where you get something like 5 games as your semi season tickets. Buy why would you choose Arizona over Texas as your prime game and then not attend?)

Last edited:
Back