Sooner fans giveth and Sooner fans taketh away

I'm not sure you have thought that through. Most of the empty seats (obviously most of the difference in tickets sold and attendance) were season tickets. The decision to make the game a "premium" game hurt walk up sales. The empty seats that were already paid for consisted of season ticket holders not attending. Season tickets were not more expensive this year because of Arizona than any other year, so to say that the premium seating netted them more money is faulty, because 10k tickets that were sold were season tickets that were priced no differently than any other year. Basically, even if this game was Nothern Colorado, the same number of tickets would have been sold. Yes, there are face values for every ticket, but the lump sum for season tickets ends up being the same as any other year, so it's made up in other games.

(disclaimer: there are some tickets that may have been part of the "package" they have on soonersports where you get something like 5 games as your semi season tickets. Buy why would you choose Arizona over Texas as your prime game and then not attend?)

the season tickets package changes in price every year a little bit based on the premium games ...

It's early, but the crowd thing isnt going to go away anytime soon. We just need a smaller, newer stadium. A fieldhouse type arena with the students in FRONT of the camera and with actual lights.

we don't need a smaller stadium .. we sold over 10k tickets to the game

and we will sell 12500+ against texas osu ect ...

and as to the lights .. i guess you have never watched a game at or on tv from madison square garden ... aka the most famous arena in the world

the lights are great they put the spotlight on the court where it should be

Re: crowd

Sunday night at 6pm is a great time for basketball. If you're a basketball fan. No work...early tip...perfect. It seems like no matter what day or time there is a game someone says that's not a good time for basketball. I'm curious as to what day and time is good?

I know I have said that competing against football was bad and that a lot of others have made some excuses, but you're right. People should be at the game. I like to think we are providing explanations rather than excuses, but that isn't the point is it? We have been consistently good for a long time. Sure our support has improved, but we are still trying to make the step towards consistently exceptional crowds. I think we can do it. Frankly, we could have had a better crowd, but it seems like the atmosphere was good and the players were feeding off of it. I don't think we will ever have the home court advantage that the KU, UK or UNCs of the world have, but we can have that advantage in a lot of games. I think we can and should be in the next tier of programs as far as fan support. I think we have the second best tradition in the Big 12, monetary support, a great coach and growing fan support.

So, we can get down on the crowd over this game and we can make excuses (and I admit that I participate in that at times), but I remember the crowds Capel's first year and I remember the crowds during the Sampson era and we are getting better. During Sampson's tenure we had some great fired up crowds, but the effort to create a great atmosphere has improved since then. The crowds size has improved since Capel's first season. We should look at this AU game and be happy about the atmosphere created by the student section, but also be aware that the crowd should be larger and that any excuses we can give don't explain away that fact.

I don't necessarily think we need a smaller stadium. I think we need a more compact stadium built for basketball with the students right down on the court like Duke has. I've noticed some of their games that have not been sold out but with the students right on the court it still makes for a loud atmosphere.

the season tickets package changes in price every year a little bit based on the premium games ...

That's what I figured when I made my statement. So by Arizona being a premium game the athletic department made more money. Quite a bit more.
And the trade off is if the tickets were lower priced you make a lot less more money and maybe only probably get 300-500 more butts in the seats.
I can see why they did the premium pricing is all I'm saying. And really, if you're going to have premium pricing...Arizona on a weekend should be premium....otherwise don't have premium pricing. Really what other games are better than that on the schedule this year...OSU & Texas would probably be it.

My season tickets were the same as last year. What is the difference in 10k sold for Arizona plus Maryland East Shore (a "premium" and a dreg) and 10k sold for Arkansas and Iowa State. (two midlevel games) It's the same price.

This has always been a problem since the tickets are tied to donor points for football seating.

There is no connection between basketball season tickets and donor points for football seating. Someone (Norm or Spock?) has posted the exact policy with regards to this in the past.

There is no connection between basketball season tickets and donor points for football seating. Someone (Norm or Spock?) has posted the exact policy with regards to this in the past.

Priority points are universal within the athletic department.

My season tickets in RE3 are the same price they were last year. By the way the face value of my ticket Sunday night was $60. I don't understand why it is so hard to make it to these games. I drive from the Woodward area to make the games and was there Sunday night. I make 80-90% of them and give my tickets away to people who will use them for the games I can't attend. I can't imagine making the $2500 investment, which is what two seats cost in my section, and then not making it to the games.

I'm curious as to who has the seats next to me. They keep selling them to opposing fans. Last week some redneck from Arkansas was sitting there wearing entirely too much perfume and then on Sunday there were 4 Arizona fans sitting there.

As for the tickets not being tied to football. That is technically correct. I only get 1 priority point for having basketball season tickets. However my donation for the basketball seats, which you have to have to get into the lower level, gives me the same amount of points as a donation would for football. I do get added football benefits, extra OU/texas tickets, thanks to my basketball donation.

Back