Sooners give up lead, fall to Bears

bluesooner17

Reaction score
By Clay Horning
Senior Sports Columnist

The Sooner women went up and down the court, shot the ball well, hit a lot of 3-pointers and were plain fun to watch.

Also, they didn’t play much defense, gave up a bunch of offensive rebounds, didn’t grab many themselves and ultimately lost a game they appeared to have no business losing.

The 96-90 decision, won by Missouri State — which counts Sooner assistant coach Jackie Stiles as its most famous alumnus — means Oklahoma has Sunday off. Had the Sooners won, they would

have met Oregon State for the Preseason WNIT championship.

The Sooners, who led 37-20 after the first quarter eventually pushed their advantage to 20 points early in the second, nonetheless found themselves down nine points when native Oklahoman Brice Calip ripped a 3-pointer with 4:41 remaining.

A whale of a game for roller coaster aficionados, the Sooners came back from there, finally putting enough stops together to trail 89-86 with the ball out of bounds with 1:15 remaining.

What happened after that, however, was what had already happened way too often in the second half.

Center Mandy Simpson traveled near the baseline to give up one opportunity and after two free throws from Mya Bhinhar made it a five-point game, the Sooners turned it over again when Gabby Gregory threw the ball away.

For OU coach Sherri Coale, the game began to get away in the second quarter and then really got away in the third.

OU led 46-26 following a transition layup from Anna Llanusa — the game’s high-scorer with 30 points — 5:39 before the half.

However, during that frame, three Sooner starters — Llanusa, Madi Williams, Kamryn Lemon — all picked up their second foul and all had to spend significant time watching from the bench. By the time the quarter was over, OU’s lead had been

trimmed to 51-39 and, surprising to their coach, the Sooners’ confidence had been punctured.

“We could never really recover from the break in rhythm,” Coale said.

What it led to disgusted her.

“Our first six or eight possessions in the third quarter were just hideous,” she said.

The Bears won the game in that frame, outscoring the Sooners 34-18.

During one stretch, Missouri State scored eight of nine times down the court, and in the middle of it, OU turned the ball over five straight possessions.

“We got a little frazzled,” Sooner sharpshooter Taylor Robertson said.

Llanusa thought “it just came to our defense.”

Neither team played a lot of that, with the Bears shooting 53.6 percent (37 of 69) overall and 8 of 15 from 3-point land, while OU knocked down 52.5 percent (32 of 61) from the floor and 12 of 22 3-pointers.

The Sooners were destroyed on the boards, getting outrebounded 39 to 26 and 13 to 6 on the offensive glass.

“Rebounding is just discipline,” said Coale.

Robertson hit 6 of 10 3-pointers and finished with 22 points in support of Llanusa. Junior point guard Kamryn Lemon, in her first season at OU, added 17 points and Madi Williams 12.

Alexa Willard hit 12 of 21 shots from all over the court, leading Missouri State with 29 points. Calip and Bhinhar both finished with 19.

The Sooners don’t return to the court until a rare 11 a.m. Wednesday tip against Steven F. Austin.

“We’ve got to build our discipline,” said Coale. “We’ve got to build our confidence”

Our young ladies had six turnovers in a row in the 3rd quarter and that was the difference in the game. I hope that the youth of this team doesn't let the one game get into their heads and they fall apart. This team can be a good team and win a lot of games.

My first game to see this year after travels. I thought we started with a disadvantage due to lack of a defensive-rebounding type center against their size. Early 3 point dead eye shooting got us a lead, but those 3rd quarter turnovers were from MS adjustments, including cutting off the baseline drive pass to the corner for an open 3. We never adjusted and the turnovers we were getting in the first half, they got in their 3rd Q run. Out coached. Giving up 60% of the rebounds puts you at a real disadvantage also.
Talent on the team, but not enough inside skill to match the talent outside.

I charted the 3rd quarter. The turnovers (7) were key. I had thought we took bad shots but only 3 of the 13 shots were forced and/or off balance. Also Missouri State shot the lights out. We had foul trouble and they got 16 open well placed shots and hit 14 of them. They put up only two that a coach would not like.

Our first quarter was sensational. Everything worked. Defense was solid and we got good shots and hit an unsustainable percentage of them.

Early on however, our size disadvantage worked against us as both of our inside players had two early fouls and were joined by two others on the bench with two. It was an ugly quarter but our reserved held on pretty well, losing only 5 points off our first quarter lead.

19 turnovers for the game is too many but not unusual in the womens game. But they were a major factor in losing the lead in the third quarter.

We are a team that tries to do more than we are capable on both offense and defense. Too many forced shots, forced passes and maybe worse of all too many unnecessary fouls on defense. Those fouls were a killer in this game and probably had something to do with a more passive defense in the 3rd quarter.

Also I am preparing to enjoy a dish of crow. I have been skeptical of Lemon but she showed me something in this game and I hope it was a hint of things to come rather than an outlier.

S Also I am preparing to enjoy a dish of crow. I have been skeptical of Lemon but she showed me something in this game and I hope it was a hint of things to come rather than an outlier.[/QUOTE said:
Not sure crow should be on the menu. Lemon made some crucial shots, but also had turnovers bring the ball up the court. Robinson had to do that some, and that had to hurt us both in time clock left after set up, and energy required. May be better than expected, but not as good as hoped.

I am disappointed with Sherri's remarks after the game. One specific thing that bothered me, I can't remember. ..something to the effect that it wasn't inexperience because of what this team went through last year...and that's not exactly it, but did not make sense to me..maybe someone else heard. Also, she said that rebounds are discipline...well they are more than discipline. ..I did not get to watch game so maybe she was referring to some in particular, but not said that way. Finally, over the last 17 years I have been following, some years more than others, I believe I have heard her say we, the coaches, need to do a better job or are responsible. YOU have a young team falling apart in the third quarter and you can't do anything to help. I know that happens but it is still partially on you. All games are. Starts at the top. I am not mad about it, I don't dislike her, it is just something that I see as a way of thinking or speaking which should be changed. Not going to stop war, disease, hate. JMO

I think Sherri operates partially as a coach, but perhaps even more as a guide for her athletes on which they determine how to pursue their goals. From what she has said, she doesn't teach everyone everything. It is added a piece at a time until they adjust to it. But, I get the impression that she gives a lot more responsibility to the player than a lot of coaches, primarily as a means of allowing them to take control of their career development.

I'm not sure how much of this is real, and how much is perception. The end result seems to be pretty good since her players turn out to be fairly well-rounded and successful women.

Having said that, I think she is competitive, and I have been surprised that she didn't react sooner to some recruiting problems. Of course, it has not helped that we have lost some key recruits in recent years, and we don't have the depth to do that and be successful.

Yet, we may be one piece of luck away from a very good team. We do have some outstanding talent on this year, and it is still young. If we were to get some legitimate improvement from Nydia and Aspen, this team could compete. If Liz is good on the inside, that might be enough. I don't think Mandy will get better. Clair may. She is young, and does need to learn toughness.

I also hope for better things as the season progresses BUT should OU
be losing to the likes of Mo.State on our home court?

I do believe that we are better this year. We have a lot of scoring potential and a little more depth.

It is a shame that we lost a game after a record breaking first quarter. The same old problem, turnovers led to a big scoring run against us. I thought we might come back but we could not get the stops we needed and missed free throws and a crucial turnover finished us.

This team will win more than last year but I don't see how we can compete with the really good teams with our inside weakness. And no apparent answer to that problem on the horizon.

Still like to watch Ana, Maddi and Taylor play. Also sad to see so little contribution from Murcer. In the last 5 games last year she averaged 11.2 points, 7 rebounds, 4.6 assists and 1.2 steals per game.

She scored 9.4 and had 3.1 rebounds per game on the season coming off the bench part of the year. She shot 47.6% from the field and 41.5 from behind the arc. This year she is a non factor.

Unfortunately, I think Jessica Murcer's body language and facial language tells me she is through at OU. I expect to see her at another school next year. Probably NAIA better fits her. I hope I'm wrong. I know her personally, haven't talked to her in probably 8 months, so I'm just speculating. She just doesn't appear to be having fun or be real engaged.

Unfortunately, I think Jessica Murcer's body language and facial language tells me she is through at OU. I expect to see her at another school next year. Probably NAIA better fits her. I hope I'm wrong. I know her personally, haven't talked to her in probably 8 months, so I'm just speculating. She just doesn't appear to be having fun or be real engaged.

I am seeing the same thing.

I think Sherri operates partially as a coach, but perhaps even more as a guide for her athletes on which they determine how to pursue their goals. From what she has said, she doesn't teach everyone everything. It is added a piece at a time until they adjust to it. But, I get the impression that she gives a lot more responsibility to the player than a lot of coaches, primarily as a means of allowing them to take control of their career development.
I'm not sure how much of this is real, and how much is perception. The end result seems to be pretty good since her players turn out to be fairly well-rounded and successful women.

Having said that, I think she is competitive, and I have been surprised that she didn't react sooner to some recruiting problems. Of course, it has not helped that we have lost some key recruits in recent years, and we don't have the depth to do that and be successful.

Yet, we may be one piece of luck away from a very good team. We do have some outstanding talent on this year, and it is still young. If we were to get some legitimate improvement from Nydia and Aspen, this team could compete. If Liz is good on the inside, that might be enough. I don't think Mandy will get better. Clair may. She is young, and does need to learn toughness.

Ok, who do you keep calling Claire? I'm looking on the roster and I'm not finding her?!

Chloe. The only time I remember a Bloom is Clair Bloom of Flowers for Algenon.

Oh i see! Several of your posts mention a Claire, so I was perplexed. Kind of got my hopes up we picked up a productive post! :-( goodness knows we are in dire need!

We look a little better in as much as Missouri State took #7 Oregon State into the middle of the second half with a 5 to 9 point lead before State made a big run and ended up the winner by around 10 points.

I do think Oregon State's ranking is a little lofty. The two bigs Jones and Brown having some up and down play. They should be stronger by tournament time as both have a lot of potential and OSU has some fine guard play.

Brown is playing quite a bit outside but moves inside when Jones goes out.

I charted the 3rd quarter. The turnovers (7) were key. I had thought we took bad shots but only 3 of the 13 shots were forced and/or off balance. Also Missouri State shot the lights out. We had foul trouble and they got 16 open well placed shots and hit 14 of them. They put up only two that a coach would not like.

Our first quarter was sensational. Everything worked. Defense was solid and we got good shots and hit an unsustainable percentage of them.

Early on however, our size disadvantage worked against us as both of our inside players had two early fouls and were joined by two others on the bench with two. It was an ugly quarter but our reserved held on pretty well, losing only 5 points off our first quarter lead.

19 turnovers for the game is too many but not unusual in the womens game. But they were a major factor in losing the lead in the third quarter.

We are a team that tries to do more than we are capable on both offense and defense. Too many forced shots, forced passes and maybe worse of all too many unnecessary fouls on defense. Those fouls were a killer in this game and probably had something to do with a more passive defense in the 3rd quarter.

Also I am preparing to enjoy a dish of crow. I have been skeptical of Lemon but she showed me something in this game and I hope it was a hint of things to come rather than an outlier.

Been away from the board for a few days, but just wanted to say, "Good post."

Back