Sooners outmatched

bluesooner17

Reaction score
Cold shooting, size disadvantage a perfect storm in loss to Texas

By Tyler Palmateer
Transcript Sports Editor

Madi Williams’ brief flurry early in the second half gave Oklahoma a little life. A blooming deficit was getting smaller.

But on a night Williams had most of the offensive firepower the Sooners could muster, it wasn’t nearly enough to stop their losing skid.

Frigid shooting and a size disadvantage against Texas were too much, and the Longhorns ran away with a 70-53 victory Tuesday at Lloyd Noble Center.

OU trailed by as many as 28 points in the second half.

Williams’ two quick scores were part of OU’s most promising run after halftime, but it was just a 6-0 spurt, and none of the Sooners were in double figures until Williams scored with 5:37 remaining in the third.

She finished with a team-high 16 points. OU shot 36 percent from the field and was 3 of 16 from 3-point range.

Couple that with Texas’ depth inside, and OU coach Sherri Coale called it “a recipe for disaster.”

“They kind of went on a little run and we just panicked and were paralyzed for a bit,” Coale said.

With 11 conference games left to build an NCAA Tournament resume, the Sooners lost their fourth consecutive game and fell to 10-10 overall and 3-5 in the Big 12.

OU leading scorer Taylor Robertson was held to 11 points and took six 3-point shots. She leads the nation in 3s made.

Gabby Gregory was 1-of-10 shooting for the Sooners and four others who played were held without a field goal, going a combined 0 of 8.

Coale is searching for ways to combat the absence of Ana Llanusa, who missed her sixth straight game with back pain.

The Sooners went with a taller starting lineup against the post-heavy Longhorns, inserting forward Nydia Lampkin for Tatum Veitenheimer.

Sophomore center Aspen Williston, who had played sparingly until last week, was in the game as early as the 5:00 mark of the second quarter to help combat Texas’ inside presence.

Freshman forward Liz Scott played the most she has all season, scoring a career-high 12 points in 17 minutes.

None of it worked.

Texas outscored OU 46-34 in the paint and won the rebounding battle 45-32. The Longhorns (14-6, 5-3) came into the game outrebounding opponents by an average of 9 boards.

“It’s hard to get to the rim when they’ve got that kind of size, so you’ve got to make some perimeter shots. So it’s hard on you offensively, obviously,” Coale said. “Defensively, trying to handle the highlow action … Then it turns into rebounds. Can you block them out? Guards didn’t do a great job blocking out either. A few tips could have gone our way if our guards had been more disciplined as well.”

It was a difficult start shooting-wise for both teams. But whatever funk Texas fought through early dissipated early in the second quarter. After a few shots inside, the Longhorns got comfortable and reeled off a 16-0 run.

Texas took a 37-23 after Joyner Holmes scored easy layups on back-to-back possessions. OU was shooting 27 percent (9 for 33) from the field and 13 percent (1 for 8) from 3-point range by that point.

The Longhorns steamrolled from there.

“As far as competing, I think we can do a little bit better,” Williams said. “We just have to get a little bit tougher as a team so that we can be able to mentally be there in the possessions we’re in with teams that are a little bit bigger and stronger than us.”

Last edited:
We all know Sherri & Colton are doing everything possible to put a winning team on the court. When players don't play that falls on to the players....When the players are short that falls on to the players, when the players are short and slow that falls on to the players. Some how Sherri & Colton must remain strong and ride this ship out even when they get little or no help from the players and other coaches....Oh I forgot it is also the fans fault for this mess we're in.

I think you could say this “Sooners outmatched” headline could apply to 7 of our 10 losses so far this season: Two games by 10 or more; 3 games by 15 or more; and, 2 games by 20 or more.

Four straight losses could be a sign this team may throw up their hands and quit before long, but to their credit I didn’t see that last night.

OU basketball is not good, men or women. Always been a Lon supporter but some of his team performance are starting to look more like a SC coach team...heck maybe its time for him to go too????

OU basketball is not good, men or women. Always been a Lon supporter but some of his team performance are starting to look more like a SC coach team...heck maybe its time for him to go too????

Kruger has never really been a big winner in any of his stops. Lon's winning percentage is 61.2% for his career and 61.1% at OU. Lon has only 2 Sweet 16, 1 Elite Eight and 2 Final Fours in his 33 year career (5 total S16 or higher). Personally I am as ready for him to go as I am Sherri. Lon has won 60% of his games the last 5 years. Sherri has won 56% and she has 6 Sweet 16 and 3 Final Fours (9 S16 or higher) in 23 years. Not counting 2019-20 for either coach.

Lon provided integrity and was/is a good not great MBB coach and I think Joe C. was looking for integrity more so than a big time winner after the Capel fiasco. Lon has reconstructed the respectability of the program and I think it is time for him to go in favor of a coach that can consistently make OU a serious conference contender. If Chris Beard can do such at Tech there is someone out there that can do the same at OU. It is Joe C. job to find that someone.

Back