Sooners skidding

bluesooner17

Reaction score
Last-place Kansas hands Oklahoma fifth consecutive loss

By Tyler Palmateer
Transcript Sports Editor

Sherri Coale finished her second of two postgame interviews, pulled a pair of headphones off her ears and placed them on a courtside table.

A few scattered claps popped from the stands as she walked off the court, her eyes ahead and her face in a scowl. It was a difficult night in what has turned into another difficult season for Oklahoma.

Kansas, sitting in last place in the Big 12, claimed its first conference road victory this season by beating OU 83-80 Wednesday at Lloyd Noble Center.

Although the Sooners regained Ana Llanusa, who scored 22 points after recovering from a lower-leg injury, they were handed their fifth consecutive loss.

There were no easy answers from Coale’s postgame press conference, which lasted just longer than three minutes.

“Had to have a rebound, couldn’t get one,” Coale said. “Needed to make free throws, couldn’t make them.

“Kind of the story.”

The Sooners (12-15, 5-10 Big 12) have surpassed last year’s eight win total. But preseason aspirations within the program were much higher than that.

The injury to Llanusa and departure of junior college transfer Kamryn Lemon hasn’t helped matters, but consistency has been a year-long issue.

Coale was asked if this group is getting better.

“Well, in certain spots, yeah,” she said. “We just need consistency. I thought Madi Williams (23 points) was really good tonight. Thought Tatum Veitenheimer (seven steals) probably had her best game tonight. But Gabbi didn’t play as well as she did this weekend, and Mandy didn’t play as well as she does usually. So it’s just trying to get some consistency where we’ve got five guys doing what they can when we take the floor.”

KU won the rebounding battle 44-28 and the Sooners missed four free throws under the three minute mark.

The rebounding woes especially concerned Coale.

“They have a little bit of a size advantage, but we’ve been sort of digressing in that department,” Coale said. “We have so much improved in rebounding from last year, and the last two, three games, we’ve really lost our attention to detail in that facet of the game. We’ve got to get back to that.”

Zakiyah Franklin gave the Jayhawks the lead for good when she converted a traditional 3-point play out of a timeout, putting KU up 78-75.

OU had the ball down 80-77 but turned the ball over when Gabbi Gregory tried to force an entry pass to Madi Williams. With the ball while trailing 81-77, Gregory turned the ball over again on OU’s last meaningful possession.

“We didn’t execute it well, just didn’t execute. Tried a couple different things, just didn’t execute,” Coale said of those plays. “There were a couple of options.”

One was likely Taylor Robertson, the nation’s leading 3-point shooter who has scored below her average in six of the past eight games since a 31-point outburst against KU during the meeting in Lawrence.

She finished with nine points on 2-of-10 shooting and 1-of-5 from the 3-point line. Williams led the Sooners with 23 points with 9 of 12 made shots. Gregory added 10 points.

Aniya Thomas led KU with 21 points.

OU trailed 42-40 at the break despite forcing KU into 15 first-half turnovers. Tina Stephens stole the ball away on the final possession and converted the other way, giving the Jayhawks a lead and momentum at halftime.

KU (14-12, 3-12) made 5 of 7 shots in the final moments, reasserting itself after taking the initial lead back in the first quarter.

The Sooners were victimized by a few offensive droughts. They went 3:11 without a basket in the third quarter, allowing the Jayhawks to take a one point lead with under six minutes left in the period.

After Llanusa scored five consecutive points to put OU back up, the Sooners went another three minutes without a field goal.

With one quarter left, on a night Baylor clinched its 10th consecutive Big 12 regular-season title, the league’s bottom two teams were knotted up and scrapping for pride as the season continued its decrescendo.

KU got the best of the Sooners from there.

Why complain about rebounds when you choose to start a 6’1 forward and a 6 foot guard in the front court.

And your 1 true post player Williston doesn't even play a single minute.

Our post girls are poor. How about Robertson playing poorly last night also.

Our post girls are poor. How about Robertson playing poorly last night also.

And Scott plays about 10 seconds last night. She has looked pretty good when given time on the court in the past. Why in the world would you not just let her play last night?

I think SC has decided her hair is not curly and blonde - so she needs to sit
- or maybe even just transfer.

Should be a pretty good cat fight once SC leaves, Colton kicking, scratching the other two ladies.

He will leave when she does. His cover is gone. Hiring him was just momma giving him a chance to get better at coaching so he can support himself after she's fired.

AND SHE'S GOING TO BE FIRED. They may call it a retirement. She may say she wants to return to teaching or whatever, but I bet she basically gets fired about two weeks after the Big 12 tournament is over.

And that's giving her longer than she deserves at this point. A once great coach with the fire to get it done becomes a mass of coaching blubber over the last 10 years.

Joe should have stepped in 5 years ago and tossed that test or whatever it is Sherri' recruits by and given her a choice take this other job or your fired.

He's waited too long in my opinion -- by about 5 years at least.

And Scott plays about 10 seconds last night. She has looked pretty good when given time on the court in the past. Why in the world would you not just let her play last night?

I think SC has decided her hair is not curly and blonde - so she needs to sit
- or maybe even just transfer.

Word. She drives away the good players bc they Don't have that NAIA look she wants. Scott might be so much better had she been given more opportunities this season. I doubt she hangs in, I bet she transfers out. Agreed about the rebounding, can't complain about it when you won't play or even give your true posts opportunities. Simpson ain't getting any better. The others might actually have. SC makes the dumbest calls IMO. God I hope she's gone next season, along with her whole staff. Bring on Pebley

He will leave when she does. His cover is gone. Hiring him was just momma giving him a chance to get better at coaching so he can support himself after she's fired.

AND SHE'S GOING TO BE FIRED. They may call it a retirement. She may say she wants to return to teaching or whatever, but I bet she basically gets fired about two weeks after the Big 12 tournament is over.

And that's giving her longer than she deserves at this point. A once great coach with the fire to get it done becomes a mass of coaching blubber over the last 10 years.

Joe should have stepped in 5 years ago and tossed that test or whatever it is Sherri recruits by in the nearest trash can and given her a choice: take this other job or your fired.

Joe should have stepped in 5 years ago and tossed that test or whatever it is Sherri recruits by in the nearest trash can and given her a choice: take this other job or your fired.

I think Sherri will be back for 2020-21 and maybe 2021-22. But her contract which was extended through the 2023 season in 2019 @ $1.1 Mil. And Joe C. is not the type guy that likes to buyout coaches contracts It is going to be interesting. I think our best bet is that Sherri personally choose to retire from shame. It is difficult to explain extending a contract for 4 years with a million dollar plus salary and then firing her 1 year later.

Unfortunately my gut tells me Sherri will be the coach in 2020-21. Why is there any need to ever extend Sherri's contract in the first place. If I was the AD her contract would be year to year. Ditto Lon Kruger. We are definitely not protecting a great coach or top notch program from potential damaging loses.

www.oudaily.com/sports/ou-athletics...cle_b2e1760a-9911-11e9-a0e8-235180233e4b.html

Word. She drives away the good players bc they Don't have that NAIA look she wants. Scott might be so much better had she been given more opportunities this season. I doubt she hangs in, I bet she transfers out. Agreed about the rebounding, can't complain about it when you won't play or even give your true posts opportunities. Simpson ain't getting any better. The others might actually have. SC makes the dumbest calls IMO. God I hope she's gone next season, along with her whole staff. Bring on Pebley

I just shake my head every time I see that "3" on her jersey. She has improved since last year, but now she's ready to compete at the DIII level with some success. And it's not her fault. She is put in that position and is not ready for it...and will not be next year, or the year after.

I'm sure CParis does that Michael Jordan cry every time she sees (if she can stand to watch) Simpson post up and turn the ball over when she can't get that bounce pass...or a rebound.

MJ.jpg

I used to be a big Sherri supporter even though did not approve of the high turnover rate and average at best half court offense.

It is hard to believe she was complaining about rebounding when she kept Scott and Williston on the bench almost the entire game.

She also said last night that there are only two ways to get Robertson open. On a fast break and on a penetrate and dish off.

She also talked about all the screens that they set for Taylor. What I see is Taylor running around like crazy trying to rub her defender off on another player. Murcer is one of the few I have seen set screens for Taylor.

Veitenheimer does not usually penetrate so that is out. Ana and Gabbi seldom dish when the penetrate so that is out.

Sherri's early success was more because of her fast break game than her half court game. Big 12 teams know that is the strength of OU's team and have long ago taken a lot of that away.

Further the Kansas defender practically had her arms around Taylor all night. When Taylor scored 31 against Kansas up there we somewhat neutralized the chaser by putting Taylor on the point and doing some actual screening to get her open. That is the only reason we came from so far behind to win.

Back