Sue Bird Announcement Made Me Wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver Hardy

Reaction score
Not that it's any big deal, but Sue Bird's sexuality announcement made me wonder something.

We all know OU has had some players in the past who were gay.

In the last five years does anyone think we have?

Do you think Sherri and the staff would recruit a gay player given their religious beliefs?

Just a thought that ran through my head after reading the story late today.

While I think OU doesn't discriminate, I'm not sure Sherri would recruit a openly gay player if that makes since, kind of like don't ask don't tell.

When I was in school (2000-2005) there were several gay players on the squad and nobody gave a rip.

Please, no comments on my five-year plan either.

When I was in school (2000-2005) there were several gay players on the squad and nobody gave a rip.

Speaking as a former student, I think the 5-year plan is brilliant!

I had one on the 5-year plan and one on the 4.5-year plan. As a parent, it didn't bother me much but mine graduated in 1996 and 2001. Much more expensive now.

But I doubt seriously that these players were known to be gay by fans or that
they advertised it at any fan events.

Of course, no Facebook, twitter, instagram so it was easier. I bet it was like someone mentioned above....don't ask, don't tell.

While I think OU doesn't discriminate, I'm not sure Sherri would recruit a openly gay player if that makes since, kind of like don't ask don't tell.

Actually, that would be discrimination. And since I agree with the rest of your statement, I do think she discriminates.

I am actually gay and I know for a fact that some of the players in the past were gay, because they are my friends. The final four teams have had several, I know that much anyway. I would hate to think that SC discriminates against gay players but the more I look at the type of players she chases the more I wonder...I think she tends to pursue girly type of players that play 'pretty basketball', rather than chasing the aggressive, physical, tough type of player (which I personally prefer). I really hope this does not offend anyone because that is not my intention.

I am actually gay and I know for a fact that some of the players in the past were gay, because they are my friends. The final four teams have had several, I know that much anyway. I would hate to think that SC discriminates against gay players but the more I look at the type of players she chases the more I wonder...I think she tends to pursue girly type of players that play 'pretty basketball', rather than chasing the aggressive, physical, tough type of player (which I personally prefer). I really hope this does not offend anyone because that is not my intention.

I think she looks for the players with all these characteristics and most are being recruited by the likes of Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame, etc. OUr academics have improved immensely over the years but based on perception, these are the schools players with qualities/abilities that Sherri likes, are going to choose the other schools every chance they get.

There have been lesbian players on this team and I don't believe she discriminates against them. I don't believe she would have invited Rosalind Ross' family to Norman to honor Rosalind at a game if she were so homophobic. I think this is just another jab taken at Sherri on this board that continues to live on without an ounce of proof.

Actually, that would be discrimination. And since I agree with the rest of your statement, I do think she discriminates.

Discrimination? Not so much. The players are not employees, so the coach has no obligation to go after any player. They can go after who they want, regardless of color or orientation. You have team mixed up with business.

Who cares about a player's sexual orientation. Not me. Is the player talented? Does the player give it 100%? Is the player putting in the work? That's what matters. Frankly, I hope the answer is the coaches don't care, and I hope the players don't either.

I want players with talent, high hustle, heart, and to fit position wise with other recruits/players. If their personal habits/conduct is as a decent person it is none of the fans business their religion, sexuality, or anything related.
CAN THE PLAY?

I want players with talent, high hustle, heart, and to fit position wise with other recruits/players. If their personal habits/conduct is as a decent person it is none of the fans business their religion, sexuality, or anything related.
CAN THE PLAY?

I completely agree! Who cares if someone is gay or straight? As long as they represent this institution in the manner it deserves, and has the talent to be here I say pursue them!

From what I understand the women's college basketball world is somewhat delineated by "gay-friendly" and not as much "gay-friendly" programs.

A few years back I remember the #1 PG recruit in the country was a young lady named Erica Ararian. She visited OU then literally the next day said OU was out and committed to texas. A lot of the scuttlebutt at the time was that OU was of one variety and texas was of the other. It's a good possibility that Sherri and staff have gotten even more militant about it.

Recruiting is a crazy world.

I think she looks for the players with all these characteristics and most are being recruited by the likes of Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame, etc. OUr academics have improved immensely over the years but based on perception, these are the schools players with qualities/abilities that Sherri likes, are going to choose the other schools every chance they get.

There have been lesbian players on this team and I don't believe she discriminates against them. I don't believe she would have invited Rosalind Ross' family to Norman to honor Rosalind at a game if she were so homophobic. I think this is just another jab taken at Sherri on this board that continues to live on without an ounce of proof.

She did not know Rosalind was homosexual when she was recruited and neither did her best friend on the team, until after they left college. As far as Sherri inviting the family here........I do not believe she had a choice. She was an integral part of the team making it to the national championship and several years had passed since Rosalind had been with the team.

Also, I followed the Rosalind Ross story and the university did not have much to say in the first couple of months. Matter of fact, I called or emailed Mossman (can't remember now) about why they had not made a statement and his response was the legalities and an ongoing investigation. THAT was completely irrelevant. If it was Rosalind's fault, if she was in the middle of a drug deal or whatever; to not make some statement was cowardly and/or judgmental. And not saying that was Sherri, but she didn't say that much either. Can you imagine that happening to Stacey Dales or Caton Hill and her not having more to say. And do not know why Sherri did not ever say that much. Did appreciate Stacey Dales mentioning Roz in her speech after having her jersey hung.

Tell me one player she has recruited who was openly gay? One that has been openly gay while on the team. I know there have been homosexuals on the team, but do you believe Sherri would have recruited them if they were out to the world? Out to the fan clubs which get together and do events with the team? If so, why were the lesbians who have been on the team not been out? Why hasn't Sherri participated in the WBCA'S promotion for the equality of lesbians and bi women. Uconn did one of the first video promotions. OU...hear nada. IS it Sherri or is it Sherri afraid to buck the fans of Oklahoma?

From what I understand the women's college basketball world is somewhat delineated by "gay-friendly" and not as much "gay-friendly" programs.

A few years back I remember the #1 PG recruit in the country was a young lady named Erica Ararian. She visited OU then literally the next day said OU was out and committed to texas. A lot of the scuttlebutt at the time was that OU was of one variety and texas was of the other. It's a good possibility that Sherri and staff have gotten even more militant about it.

Recruiting is a crazy world.

That's strange because Ararian suggested that Courtney and Ashley come to OU. I do not see her doing that if she had a problem with OU. And I do imagine there are gay-friendly and those that are not gay-friendly.

Discrimination? Not so much. The players are not employees, so the coach has no obligation to go after any player. They can go after who they want, regardless of color or orientation. You have team mixed up with business.

Actually, the law covers public institutions. Our taxes pay for public institutions so they are more liable than some businesses regarding political and social institutions. She has the obligation NOT to discriminate. Just like the Penn St. coach lost her job because she discriminated against people she thought were gay. No one is pushing the issue regarding color because that is pretty equal. No one is pushing the issue regarding sexual orientation because these are l7,l8,19 yo young women. Do you really think they want to deal with that? However, the time will come when universities will be held accountable on the issue.

She did not know Rosalind was homosexual when she was recruited and neither did her best friend on the team, until after they left college. As far as Sherri inviting the family here........I do not believe she had a choice. She was an integral part of the team making it to the national championship and several years had passed since Rosalind had been with the team.

Also, I followed the Rosalind Ross story and the university did not have much to say in the first couple of months. Matter of fact, I called or emailed Mossman (can't remember now) about why they had not made a statement and his response was the legalities and an ongoing investigation. THAT was completely irrelevant. If it was Rosalind's fault, if she was in the middle of a drug deal or whatever; to not make some statement was cowardly and/or judgmental. And not saying that was Sherri, but she didn't say that much either. Can you imagine that happening to Stacey Dales or Caton Hill and her not having more to say. And do not know why Sherri did not ever say that much. Did appreciate Stacey Dales mentioning Roz in her speech after having her jersey hung.

Tell me one player she has recruited who was openly gay? One that has been openly gay while on the team. I know there have been homosexuals on the team, but do you believe Sherri would have recruited them if they were out to the world? Out to the fan clubs which get together and do events with the team? If so, why were the lesbians who have been on the team not been out? Why hasn't Sherri participated in the WBCA'S promotion for the equality of lesbians and bi women. Uconn did one of the first video promotions. OU...hear nada. IS it Sherri or is it Sherri afraid to buck the fans of Oklahoma?

Tell me one player that ANY coach at OU has recruited which was/is openly gay! This IS Oklahoma after all.

She also didn't have to invite family to Oklahoma. They were in Wisconsin and 99.9% of fans in Oklahoma would have never known. Rosalind was also rumored to be coming back to Oklahoma to work at OU.

So, would someone please tell me how many avowed heterosexuals Sherri has recruited to OU?

Actually, the law covers public institutions. Our taxes pay for public institutions so they are more liable than some businesses regarding political and social institutions. She has the obligation NOT to discriminate. Just like the Penn St. coach lost her job because she discriminated against people she thought were gay. No one is pushing the issue regarding color because that is pretty equal. No one is pushing the issue regarding sexual orientation because these are l7,l8,19 yo young women. Do you really think they want to deal with that? However, the time will come when universities will be held accountable on the issue.

Difference between once they are on campus and recruiting them. She can recruit whoever she damn well pleases. Once they are on campus, she can't discriminate, you are right. But she can choose who she wants to recruit. If she wants to not recruit people who have blue eyes, she can.

Recruits are not entitled to no discrimination when it comes to a coach choosing to recruiting them.

Difference between once they are on campus and recruiting them. She can recruit whoever she damn well pleases. Once they are on campus, she can't discriminate, you are right. But she can choose who she wants to recruit. If she wants to not recruit people who have blue eyes, she can.

Recruits are not entitled to no discrimination when it comes to a coach choosing to recruiting them.

NO, she can't! You need to read the law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back