Sue Bird Announcement Made Me Wonder

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, would someone please tell me how many avowed heterosexuals Sherri has recruited to OU?

THAT makes as much sense as some people's response to Black Lives Matters, when they say ALL lives Matter. IT is assumed you are heterosexual. And it is okay to hold hands with your boyfriend and have it online. To have a picture of you on a team trip in bed with your boyfriend and another player. THIS IS THE MOST ABSURD, IGNORANT COMMENT ABOUT THE ISSUE WHICH I HAVE SEEN POSTED HERE. Not saying I have seen them all. Let's all just hope there were none worse.

Tell me one player that ANY coach at OU has recruited which was/is openly gay! This IS Oklahoma after all.

She also didn't have to invite family to Oklahoma. They were in Wisconsin and 99.9% of fans in Oklahoma would have never known. Rosalind was also rumored to be coming back to Oklahoma to work at OU.

I have no idea. I thought we were talking about the basketball program.

Oh, and MORE than .1 PERCENT OF THE fans learned about the incident with Rosalind and her being a lesbian before the family was invited here. I would bet money on that.

Also, that rumor about Rosalind having a job here was only stated by her family. IF IT WERE TRUE, then why didn't Coach Coale talk about it? Talk about losing an individual she had hired, an individual whom she obviously thought would help the team. ONE) I do not think it was true. TWO) If it was, then why didn't she talk about it? Afraid of push back from fans after incident in which it was clear she was a lesbian and killed by her lesbian lover.

Oh she needed to do something for Rosalind and she did the least as far as I am concerned. And she waited until the controversy had died down. If you would have read all I have written, I have said the fans probably would not be accepting of lesbian players. I haven't for the most part criticized Coale. I have been talking about the facts, what has happened, what does happen, the legalities of it, the homophobia of it, etc. that is involved with lesbian players on the basketball team and/or where lesbian recruits are concerned.

And, finally, you do not need to tell me we are in Oklahoma. I have lived here as a liberal all of my life. 67 years. I am quite aware. The majority of white straight males in Oklahoma are not only close-minded but also pretty clueless.

I could tell you a story about Coach Coale and a couple of her players but I will not. Came straight from the player who loves Coach Coale but ignored her instructions about whom she and a friend could hang out with. The player did not know the reason and I do not either. My point being that Coach Coale is not perfect, nor are any of us. You do not hear me calling for her resignation. I am not a hater. YOU seem to be part of a group who loves to have someone to put down and to hate. You seem to lack compassion in general. I feel sorry for you as I do many people on these forums who act as you do at times.

Last edited:
I have no idea. I thought we were talking about the basketball program.

Oh, and MORE than .1 PERCENT OF THE fans learned about the incident with Rosalind and her being a lesbian before the family was invited here. I would bet money on that.

Also, that rumor about Rosalind having a job here was only stated by her family. IF IT WERE TRUE, then why didn't Coach Coale talk about it? Talk about losing an individual she had hired, an individual whom she obviously thought would help the team. ONE) I do not think it was true. TWO) If it was, then why didn't she talk about it? Afraid of push back from fans after incident in which it was clear she was a lesbian and killed by her lesbian lover.

Oh she needed to do something for Rosalind and she did the least as far as I am concerned. And she waited until the controversy had died down. If you would have read all I have written, I have said the fans probably would not be accepting of lesbian players. I haven't for the most part criticized Coale. I have been talking about the facts, what has happened, what does happen, the legalities of it, the homophobia of it, etc. that is involved with lesbian players on the basketball team and/or where lesbian recruits are concerned.

And, finally, you do not need to tell me we are in Oklahoma. I have lived here as a liberal all of my life. 67 years. I am quite aware. The majority of white straight males in Oklahoma are not only close-minded but also pretty clueless.

I could tell you a story about Coach Coale and a couple of her players but I will not. Came straight from the player who loves Coach Coale but ignored her instructions about whom she and a friend could hang out with. The player did not know the reason and I do not either. My point being that Coach Coale is not perfect, nor are any of us. You do not hear me calling for her resignation. I am not a hater. YOU seem to be part of a group who loves to have someone to put down and to hate. You seem to lack compassion in general. I feel sorry for you as I do many people on these forums who act as you do at times.

The rumor I heard was for a job with the University, not the basketball program. Also, in the ESPN story about this tragedy, a former partner mentioned Rosalind was wanting to return to OU for education shortly before she died and I'd be shocked if she would want to return to a place where her coach was very homophobic! Doesn't make sense! I actually met a former girlfriend of Rosalind this summer in Spain who was taking an OU graduate level course at a military base and I'm pretty sure this woman didn't date her in Norman.

I find it interesting you are making innuendos about Coale, along with this former player, when you stated both you and her didn't know what she meant! You must think you know what she meant or you wouldn't have posted that comment in this thread. Coale is NOT perfect and I've stated that multiple times over the years.

As for your comments about me, you have no clue of anything about me. I will keep my assumptions about you to myself!

Difference between once they are on campus and recruiting them. She can recruit whoever she damn well pleases. Once they are on campus, she can't discriminate, you are right. But she can choose who she wants to recruit. If she wants to not recruit people who have blue eyes, she can.

Recruits are not entitled to no discrimination when it comes to a coach choosing to recruiting them.

wow..this floors me that someone in 2017 would still say this! Of course she can't discriminate!

The rumor I heard was for a job with the University, not the basketball program. Also, in the ESPN story about this tragedy, a former partner mentioned Rosalind was wanting to return to OU for education shortly before she died and I'd be shocked if she would want to return to a place where her coach was very homophobic! Doesn't make sense! I actually met a former girlfriend of Rosalind this summer in Spain who was taking an OU graduate level course at a military base and I'm pretty sure this woman didn't date her in Norman.

I find it interesting you are making innuendos about Coale, along with this former player, when you stated both you and her didn't know what she meant! You must think you know what she meant or you wouldn't have posted that comment in this thread. Coale is NOT perfect and I've stated that multiple times over the years.

As for your comments about me, you have no clue of anything about me. I will keep my assumptions about you to myself!

I have said about Coale: 1) she won't recruit an openly gay player or she hasn't to date 2) I do believe the fact that the fact that the details around Roz's death left no question about her gender preference and that because of that the university and Coale did not give her the recognition that they would have had it been Caufield or Dales 3) the two or three stories I read said she had a job with Sherri.......doesn't matter because if she had a job with Sherri or the University it was never acknowledged, so I am guessing she did not have one or whomever she was going to work for did not acknowledge it and if that were the case, then this was wrong and homophobic. 4) As far as Sherri being homophobic, you either take the moral ground or you don't, if you don't you are complicit in the homophobia which abounds in this state and should NEVER be accepted at a public university. 5) Not saying Coale should be fired or that she is a terrible person, but feel it is time for her to stand-up for all women.....after all, without bi and lesbian women, she would not have made it to the championship game and two final fours

You really do come from a place of privilege. I did not say that Roz did not like Sherri. I did not say that she did not like OU. However, even if coming back to Oklahoma meant coming back to work for a person who was homophobic, if she would have had to be private about her personal life, people who are lesbian and gay, bi and transgendered have been having to do that for centuries AND it hasn't changed. Plus, I have never said Sherri was outwardly homophobic since being at OU.

My beliefs about you come from reading what you write here. You just do not get so many social issues. They don't affect you personally, so they do not matter. Maybe one day you will open your eyes. I am an open book. You can say what you want about me. I will either admit it or say again, you have no clue. Personally, I think you did not say anything personal about me because you had nothing to say except that maybe you do not like me, which is really irrelevant to the conversation.

Last edited:
I find it interesting you are making innuendos about Coale, along with this former player, when you stated both you and her didn't know what she meant! You must think you know what she meant or you wouldn't have posted that comment in this thread. Coale is NOT perfect and I've stated that multiple times over the years.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what you are saying in the bold. I said I did not think she had a job with the ouwbb program, though it was reported that she said she did. Her brother stated it in an interview. I said if she DID have such a job
then Sherri should have even had more to say about losing someone she had hired. My guess is Roz may have told some people she had a recruiting job when she didn't. Maybe she hoped to get one.

Finally, I made no mention of your thinking Sherri Coale was perfect, so have no clue how that comment is relevant.

Tell me one player that ANY coach at OU has recruited which was/is openly gay! This IS Oklahoma after all.

She also didn't have to invite family to Oklahoma. They were in Wisconsin and 99.9% of fans in Oklahoma would have never known. Rosalind was also rumored to be coming back to Oklahoma to work at OU.

This IS Oklahoma. But it's interesting that it hasn't been an issue with the program in Stillwater.

Even this spring, OSU heavily recruited Taylor Emery. The OSU coaches had no problem "liking" and retweeting outsports.com stories about Emery on Twitter. Stories with headlines such as, "Openly Gay Player Wins Top Award in Women's Junior College Basketball."

https://twitter.com/hallerik/status/851461129180237824

The family and girlfriend of a recent OSU star walked onto the court with the player during Senior Night festivities.

WHO CARES ????????????

You all must be having a boring summer !!!!

OBVIOUSLY, I do. And certainly not because I am having a boring summer. But such a powerful, intelligent zinger to a very important topic. You do KNOW you do not have to read topics which bore you.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Time to move on before this thread gets out of hand!

I will repeat what I said above: OBVIOUSLY, I do. And certainly not because I am having a boring summer. But such a powerful, intelligent zinger to a very important topic. You do KNOW you do not have to read topics which bore you.

Funny, a topic more important and relevant in today's social than a punch Britney Griner threw 7 or so years ago, you consider might get out of hand. SMH Guess I am not being properly subservient to the white straight males on the board.

And who cares: WBCA does. Should THEIR position of pushing an agenda of inclusion of glbt rights matter?

This IS Oklahoma. But it's interesting that it hasn't been an issue with the program in Stillwater.

Even this spring, OSU heavily recruited Taylor Emery. The OSU coaches had no problem "liking" and retweeting outsports.com stories about Emery on Twitter. Stories with headlines such as, "Openly Gay Player Wins Top Award in Women's Junior College Basketball."

https://twitter.com/hallerik/status/851461129180237824

The family and girlfriend of a recent OSU star walked onto the court with the player during Senior Night festivities.

If only OUWBB would get on board with the positon of the WBCA. Would do half of what OSU has done to date.

And to think, last night I was regretting my involvement in this thread. This type of social media does not lend itself to intelligent discussions of political and social issues. Thus, I felt bad for stating the obvious because these issues are just not obvious to some people. They are not relevant to them. I am not going to change any minds no matter how I put things. It would take posts which were too long, plus anyone who didn't agree would still take an offensive tone in any response. I still regret getting involved but after seeing two of the posts which considered this matter irrelevant I felt it was better to reply first than say anything about regrets. My biggest regret is that ALL of us, including me, are not kinder to each other. However, my participation and even just reading of this board has waned and I have no intention of any further involvement here. I am quite sure that will make the regular posters happy. If so, I guess that is a good thing. My wish for all people is that they have as much happiness as possible. It is sad that more than a few here find that happiness in the sniping at each other over REALLY trivial matters. These attitudes are indicative of what is going on in our country today, the hate, personal insecurity, needing to have someone to look down upon to make oneself feel better. Unfortunately, this attitude is being passed on to our grade school and high school kids. And you wonder why these kids do not have better attitudes? Might feel entitled? WELL, believe it or not, I will end this with I truly wish the best to everyone. I do hope we all become a little kinder, have a lot more patience and become seriously less judgmental about everything and especially about situations about which we have no personal experience or knowledge.

Last edited:
I will repeat what I said above: OBVIOUSLY, I do. And certainly not because I am having a boring summer. But such a powerful, intelligent zinger to a very important topic. You do KNOW you do not have to read topics which bore you.

Funny, a topic more important and relevant in today's social than a punch Britney Griner threw 7 or so years ago, you consider might get out of hand. SMH Guess I am not being properly subservient to the white straight males on the board.

And who cares: WBCA does. Should THEIR position of pushing an agenda of inclusion of glbt rights matter?

My position is simple. It has absolutely nothing to do with gay rights. My wife and I have gay friends and even gay family members we care about. We don't pretend to understand the lifestyle they chose, but they still have our utmost love and respect.

This is a basketball board, not an open forum to discuss sensitive topics like gay rights. If you want to continue this discussion, you can do it on the Campus Corner forum, where all off-topic threads find a home if they're on the main BB boards long enough.

It's a good thing Stacy Dales wasn't openly gay before she got to OU

It's a good thing Stacy Dales wasn't openly gay before she got to OU

Yes it is.

It's a shame the thread was moved. The topic of the thread - would Sherri recruit an openly gay player - is definitely related to OU women's basketball.

It seems until an openly gay player is on the team, or until a gay former player speaks out, the question will continue to come up amongst the fans. So far all they have to go on is Rosalind Ross telling her mother the climate here was "unreceptive to lesbian players."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back