Talking Points | OU admits hoops violations >>> KCSTAR

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Source Link

So, what’s going to happen to Oklahoma basketball?

The university admitted Thursday that it committed two major rules violations in its men’s basketball program but asked the NCAA for leniency despite its second serious infractions case in the last five years.

The violations have to do with former Sooners center Keith “Tiny” Gallon receiving a loan from a financial advisor in Florida and assistant coach Oronde Taliaferro’s knowledge of the deal.

Taliaferro, who resigned in April 2010, initially lied about knowing about the deal (head coach Jeff Capel was cleared of any wrong doing in the scandal).

You may recall that the Sooners were on probation thanks to the hundreds of improper recruiting phone calls made by former coach Kelvin Sampson.

Under NCAA bylaws, that makes OU a repeat violator. That means it can face having the sport dropped for one or two seasons with no scholarships provided for two seasons.

According to the Associated Press, the university conceded it qualifies as a repeat violator, but said previous cases show those penalties “are not appropriate in this case,” according to the Associated Press.

“This is an isolated incident involving a single member of the coaching staff, who clearly knew his lack of action to prevent or report the violation was not acceptable,” the university said, according to the AP.

Oklahoma asked the NCAA to place the program on two more years of probation, vacate its wins from a 13-18 season in 2009-10, and take away one scholarship, two official visits and 10 in-person recruiting days during the upcoming academic year.

I wonder if Lon Kruger knew what he was getting into when he took the Sooners job. OU is already a program on the slide and this will only hasten its descent into the bottom of the Big 12.

What do you think is the appropriate punishment for Oklahoma?

| Pete Grathoff, pgrathoff@kcstar.com

What are you talking about BigTime. OU's admissions and self imposed penalties are the deal. That is it. It was a negotiated resolution. A slap on the wrist. End of story. Oklahoma Basketball is on an upward trajectory. You are mistaken to imply otherwise.

What are you talking about BigTime. OU's admissions and self imposed penalties are the deal. That is it. It was a negotiated resolution. A slap on the wrist. End of story. Oklahoma Basketball is on an upward trajectory. You are mistaken to imply otherwise.

Dude, is it not obvious that BT posted an article written by someone other than him?

I hope you are right....but you never know what the NCAA is going to do.

This isn't true.
OU and the NCAA cooperatEd on the investigation, but these penalties were solely imposed by the University.
The NCAA punishment has not yet been decided. They can choose to accept our self-imposed sanctions, or hit us much harder.

This isn't true.
OU and the NCAA cooperatEd on the investigation, but these penalties were solely imposed by the University.
The NCAA punishment has not yet been decided. They can choose to accept our self-imposed sanctions, or hit us much harder.

Schools that cooperate with the NCAA and self impose reasonable sanctions usually get what they ask for.

You are right. It should have been. I overlooked it. My bad.

No sweat gary.

Perhaps old Pete from the Star ought to do his research on potential "repeat offenders" and see how many received the death penalty. OSU, Kansas and Baylor are three from the Big 12 that qualified for the repeat offender status and none of those programs got the full salami from the NCAA.

Did that writer only just learn about this situation? Of course Kruger knew what he was getting into; it's only the writer to whom this seems to be surprised by facts that have been known for literally months.

What a clown.

Oklahoma Basketball is on an upward trajectory. You are mistaken to imply otherwise.

In the sense that OU went from 13 wins in 2009-10 to 14 in 2010-11, yes, OU is on the rise.

In the sense that OU went from 13 wins in 2009-10 to 14 in 2010-11, yes, OU is on the rise.

You are picking at the wrong guy. I'm no cheerleader for the current state of OU basketball. I just happen to think that the program is at it's bottom. It can not get worse. I don't think that Capel was the worse coach in basketball. He was just not good enough. I don't think that the players on last years team were the worst playes in basketball. They were just not good enough. I think that Krueger is good enough and I think he will bring in players that are good enough. Up, I believe, is the only way to go. If you think otherwise, of course, I'll think you are mistaken.

Back