Terry Evans very confident he could win at OU >>> Tulsa World

Re: Terry Evans confident he could win at OU

This is nice read! I thought I had read that Tubbs had not endorsed Terry Evans? This reads like an endorsement to me?

Heck after I read it, I am ready for The Program to have him as the leader! OU could do much worse! Evans is young and OU is his "dream job"? Connections in Texas..............As the article reads "he has a nice sales pitch"! Kind of got me fired up today!

Last edited:

I would be underwhelmed.

If people think we can do better than BCG and Buzz, they HAVE to think we can do better than Evans.

"We would win, first of all," Evans said. "I've won everywhere I've been. I would bring an identity, same as I've had at all of my programs - an up-tempo, high-scoring team that also plays great defense and rebounds the basketball.

"I haven't really seen an identity regarding OU basketball since coach (Kelvin) Sampson left. His identity was defense and toughness. Coach Tubbs' was 'Billy Ball.' Oklahoma needs an identity, needs some excitement."

"I have no recruiting budget here, yet for the last three years we've been among the best teams in the state," he said. "Give me an unlimited recruiting budget, I'll bring in great players and do a lot of the same things that we did with Kelvin when we went to the Final Four.

"I have former teammates in almost every city in Texas. I have a great relationship with high school coaches all over this state. Look at all of the Oklahoma kids here at UCO (14 of the 15 Bronchos on this year's roster are natives).

"A lot of great Oklahoma players lately have gone to Baylor, Kansas, Kentucky or different schools. I feel they should have been here."

I like it. I like it a lot.

Love the confidence, but I feel he is a long-shot at best.

I don't think I have ever seen a coach plead for another job like this before. Love the enthusiasm Terry!!!

We certainly could do a lot worse! The more I look into Terry Evans the more I like him. I know it may sound a little aggie-ish but having someone that cares so much for the program and university at the top is starting to become a huge plus in my books.

Capel didn't fail because he was at a mid-major before coming to OU. He failed because he had no roots to the area. This caused a revolving door which lead to his demise. It didn't allow him to establish an identity because the faces were always changing. Capel will be successful when he gets back on the east coast where his roots and connections are.

There is a lot to like about Terry. First, he has perfected a system that works. He will not be experimenting from week to week and no one will ever ask, "what are we trying to do on offense?".

He is a successful recruiter on a very limited budget. Give him some great assistants and money to spend and I have no doubt he can bring the players to OU to get us back to the days of Billy and Kelvin and hopefully, beyond.

OU would not be a stepping stone job. This is where he wants to retire.

He would not expect 1.5 mil to start as some would. He would be thrilled with half that to prove himself.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....Evans has proven that he can coach and that he's a winner.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.....Evans has proven that he can coach and that he's a winner.

There is nothing that guarantees a winner at that level translates to wins at OU's level. Nothing. If he is the right guy, then fine. But it isn't b/c he's winning in NAIA.

There is nothing that guarantees a winner at that level translates to wins at OU's level. Nothing. If he is the right guy, then fine. But it isn't b/c he's winning in NAIA.

There is nothing that guarantees anyone wins at OU. You can't ignore his track record though. He's won everywhere he has ever been. Abe Lemons always said the best coaches were the ones at the smallest schools.

Isn't UCO NCAA D-II now?

The system doesn't matter, you can win with any system given you fill the roster with the right players. It's all about getting recruits, way more so than X's and O's or gameday coaching. IMO, 95% of a coach's success comes from work done prior to stepping on the floor...recruiting, practice, scouting, film, gameplans, etc. Sure, there are some adjustments made at halftime, but a vast majority is already in place before the ball is tipped. It's not like these guys are drawing stuff up on the fly...the players have already been through the situation in practice.

I'm sure Terry Evans is a good coach, but hiring him is basically taking a leap of faith and saying "well I hope he can recruit at the D-I level", which isn't very assuring compared to other possibilities. You are hiring Terry Evans on a hunch that he will be good and the fact he loves OU. Sorry, but that doesn't cut it.

I like his passion for OU. I am all for bringing him in. I'd rather waste my energy and enthusiasm for OU basketball on Terry Evans than a guy like BCG who is just going to use us as a stepping stone.

However, I will be happy if Buzz is coach. His recruiting ability goes a long way.

I like his passion for OU. I am all for bringing him in. I'd rather waste my energy and enthusiasm for OU basketball on Terry Evans than a guy like BCG who is just going to use us as a stepping stone.

However, I will be happy if Buzz is coach. His recruiting ability goes a long way.

BCG would not leave OU. After the UK thing, he wouldn't get another offer better than OU, and he likes this part of the country. BCG would stay at OU until we fired him, or he retired.

I'd be all for giving Terry Evans a shot. Let's do it!

I think he could be fantastic wherever he goes. Doesn't matter what level of ball you're coaching, his resume at UCO has been amazing.

He's not going to get the job, but when he does get a Division 1 gig I would be shocked if he didn't succeed there.

Also one aspect that I think gets lost in the shuffle is that he has been around a successful Division 1 program before. Not exactly the same as running a program, but he was the Director of Basketball Operations for KS' 2001-2002 Final Four squad, one of the greatest OU teams of all-time. So wherever he goes, he will have prior knowledge for how to succeed at the D1 level.

Last edited:
If they hired Terry and if Terry's first hire was Tommy Griffin I would be very pleased.

If they hired Terry and if Terry's first hire was Tommy Griffin I would be very pleased.

Terry = HC
Hoffman = AC
Webster = AC or friend of the program [:)]
Griffin = AC or Director of BBall Operations.

At this point, Terry may be my first choice for the job because he nailed it. He has a system, and he will base recruiting efforts in Oklahoma and Texas. Sheri was a HS coach, she has succeeded because of her passion of the University of Oklahoma and desire, it worked and she was out of a High School program. At a minimum, I hope he gets an interview.

UCO has been good because they have gotten fringe d1 Oklahoma talent. You can't be successful getting fringe d1 oklahoma talent in the big12 minus 2.

Back