Terry Evans very confident he could win at OU >>> Tulsa World

I'm sure he won't get the job but I really think butts in the seats would increase if he got the job.

I like the guy who sees OU as his dream job opposed to a guy that is just going to get paid to coach with nothing vested in it but his contract.

UCO has been good because they have gotten fringe d1 Oklahoma talent. You can't be successful getting fringe d1 oklahoma talent in the big12 minus 2.

So you think given a better situation with which to recruit to he would still pull in the same players?

UCO has been good because they have gotten fringe d1 Oklahoma talent. You can't be successful getting fringe d1 oklahoma talent in the big12 minus 2.

The point is that he is getting D-1 talent (fringe or otherwise) to go to a non D-1 school. Now it is convincing legitimate D-1 talent not to automatically leave for KU or some other out-of-state school. I think Terry keeps all of our current players, and maybe even adds a couple....plus, he nailed it on his "friendships" in Texas.

So you're saying Terry succeeded by recruiting over his programs expectations? Definite black mark there... cross him off the list.

I'm sure he won't get the job but I really think butts in the seats would increase if he got the job.

I like the guy who sees OU as his dream job opposed to a guy that is just going to get paid to coach with nothing vested in it but his contract.

I should have listed that too when I posted some of the positives about Terry. Absolutely, more fans would come to watch his brand of basketball.

Thank you.

Terry Evans has made one Division II Elite Eight appearance.

Jim Tressel prior to being hired from Youngstown State (not Division II, but a comparable jump) had won FOUR national titles.

I'm sure Terry Evans is a really good coach, but I just don't see the point in hiring him right now. He is openly lobbying for the position, he has already told the media it is his "dream job". We could pluck him from a Missouri State, SMU, etc. if he ever went there.

Thank you.

Terry Evans has made one Division II Elite Eight appearance.

Jim Tressel prior to being hired from Youngstown State (not Division II, but a comparable jump) had won FOUR national titles.

I'm sure Terry Evans is a really good coach, but I just don't see the point in hiring him right now. He is openly lobbying for the position, he has already told the media it is his "dream job". We could pluck him from a Missouri State, SMU, etc. if he ever went there.

There is a HUGE difference in recruiting Ohio and recruiting Oklahoma.

"We would win, first of all," Evans said. "I've won everywhere I've been. I would bring an identity, same as I've had at all of my programs - an up-tempo, high-scoring team that also plays great defense and rebounds the basketball.

"I haven't really seen an identity regarding OU basketball since coach (Kelvin) Sampson left. His identity was defense and toughness. Coach Tubbs' was 'Billy Ball.' Oklahoma needs an identity, needs some excitement."

emmett-brown.jpg

Terry = HC
Hoffman = AC
Webster = AC or friend of the program [:)]
Griffin = AC or Director of BBall Operations.

At this point, Terry may be my first choice for the job because he nailed it. He has a system, and he will base recruiting efforts in Oklahoma and Texas. Sheri was a HS coach, she has succeeded because of her passion of the University of Oklahoma and desire, it worked and she was out of a High School program. At a minimum, I hope he gets an interview.

That would be a terrible coaching staff, IMO.

All that I ask is that he get an interview, no more, no less. If the athletic director determines that he is not the best candidate, then I have no problem with that, but as a graduate of the University of Oklahoma, I'd like to think that one of our own would at least be given that courtesy.

Oh, and I do not care what level he coached at, as I have mentioned, our extremely successsful women's coach came from Norman High. I also see nothing wrong with him being enthusiatic about WANTING the job and saying that it is his dream job either. He played under Tubbs, was an assistant under Sampson, and has done a great job as a head coach wherever he has been.

Why? Bob Hoffman is a good coach, so is Terry Evans. Webster and Griffin would be more recruiters, but I would have faith in Hoffman and Evans to give the players good coaching.

Why?

I can tell you why I think it would be good:

Evans brings energy as the face of the program and has a system that fans want to see.

Hoffman brings the stability of experience and is a solid x's and o's guy.

Webster is connected to Dallas and North Texas about as well as anybody and has about the same coaching credentials as Frank Martin did when he went to KU.

Griffin is a legend in Oklahoma and ties the school to Blake, a guy that hopefully for the next ten years immediately legitimizes the University of Oklahoma to "big time" recruits.

Now tell me why you think they would be bad?

Why? Bob Hoffman is a good coach, so is Terry Evans. Webster and Griffin would be more recruiters, but I would have faith in Hoffman and Evans to give the players good coaching.

A few reasons:

I'm not as high on Hoffman as a lot of you are.

There would likely be a power struggle between Hoff and Evans.

I don't like just throwing a bunch of folks together that may or may not a) like each other, and b) fit together theory-wise.

That staff would have three coaches with very little to no D1 coaching experience.

It's gonna be hard enough for OU to dig ourselves out of Capel's hole, we don't need to be taking chances with so many guys not proven on the D1 level.

I think Evans needs to prove, at a D1 school, that he can recruit the kind of talent it takes to win in his system.

Yes Webster and Griffin have contacts, but that doesn't make them instantly great recruiters. Besides, I'm pretty sure the 3rd assistant coach isn't even allowed to recruit.

There are others, but I'll stop there. I'm not 100% against Evans, but it needs to be after striking out on more proven options, and he needs to bring in a staff that he knows, is comfortable with, and preferably, someone with experience. Hoffman ain't comin' back to be an assistant.

The problem I have with Evans is validation. How do you validate firing Capel for Evans? I was never a Capel (as a coach) fan, but I'm not sure I'd fire him to hire an uncertainty.

You fired Capel because he produced the first back-to-back losing seasons since LBJ was in the White House. You fired Capel because he hired the assistant that got us back into hot water with the NCAA.

The hiring of anybody will not have any effect on the validity of firing Jeff Capel. Jeff earned his dismissal.

And the fact that we have 1 recruit coming in next year.

The problem I have with Evans is validation. How do you validate firing Capel for Evans? I was never a Capel (as a coach) fan, but I'm not sure I'd fire him to hire an uncertainty.

Valid point.

For the record: Evans isn't my first choice... Obviously OU needs someone more qualified than him. I do think he has immense potential though, and I think he'd have a chance of thriving at whatever D1 school he ends up at.

If I'm running the search on a lower-tier D1 school, I would take a serious look at this guy.

Back