Terry Evans very confident he could win at OU >>> Tulsa World

You fired Capel because he produced the first back-to-back losing seasons since LBJ was in the White House. You fired Capel because he hired the assistant that got us back into hot water with the NCAA.

The hiring of anybody will not have any effect on the validity of firing Jeff Capel. Jeff earned his dismissal.

Exactly.

I will also add that Terry Evans has a chip on his shoulder because all of his life people have told him he can't do something and he's done nothing but prove them wrong.

When OU recruited him, people said he would never play. He was a 4 year starter and has the OU record for assists and 3 point shots. As Bob Sr. says, "BAAAANG! He hit it!".

He's a high school coach at the states largest class with only 1 year experience in high school at Chickasha (Go Chicks!; my alma mater). Nobody thought he could turn around MWC and win championships...guess what, he won 3.

He was either the head coach or asst coach of the most successful AAU team in the history of Oklahoma hoops which had 4 D1 starters all at BCS programs in his starting 5.

He gets the job as Kelvin's director of basketball ops...everybody thought it was just to get Alexander and Bookout who he coached in AAU. Kelvin's most successful season was with Terry on the staff. Maybe he had nothing to to do with it, maybe he did have something to do with it. Nobody knows for sure.

Then, he gets the job at UCO. Nobody thought he would be as good as the previous coach, Seward. Guess what, some of the most successful seasons in UCO history have been with Evans as the coach.

The guy can succeed and he will succeed. All he needs is a chance.

You fired Capel because he produced the first back-to-back losing seasons since LBJ was in the White House. You fired Capel because he hired the assistant that got us back into hot water with the NCAA.

The hiring of anybody will not have any effect on the validity of firing Jeff Capel. Jeff earned his dismissal.

...and you hire a guy who has made one Division II Elite Eight?

He gets the job as Kelvin's director of basketball ops...everybody thought it was just to get Alexander and Bookout who he coached in AAU. Kelvin's most successful season was with Terry on the staff. Maybe he had nothing to to do with it, maybe he did have something to do with it. Nobody knows for sure.

Going off what a DBO's job entails, I highly doubt Evans was the missing piece to make that such a successful experience. Just my opinion from experience.

The guy can succeed and he will succeed. All he needs is a chance.

Think he deserves a chance, absolutely...but he needs to prove himself at a larger school first. No problem with him getting an interview.

I don't disagree BOB, but does it inspire a fanbase? We're all die-hards so we know who Evans is, but what about the very common fans? IMO if Evans is hired it could be very divisive. It's hard to take a chance on someone when we just fired someone we gave a chance to. Fans are hoping for an epic, big-time hire.

I don't disagree BOB, but does it inspire a fanbase? We're all die-hards so we know who Evans is, but what about the very common fans? IMO if Evans is hired it could be very divisive. It's hard to take a chance on someone when we just fired someone we gave a chance to. Fans are hoping for an epic, big-time hire.
Who are we after that falls into this?

...and you hire a guy who has made one Division II Elite Eight?
Sure! If you interview a bunch of candidates and find him most to your liking. Kelvin had one NCAA appearance when we hired him, a first-round loss. He turned out OK.

Is Terry the right guy for the job? I don't know. They don't pay me the big bucks to make those decisions (Ca$tiglione!), but if he knocks your socks off in an interview you give him a real hard look because he's a Sooner and WANTS to be here.

NAIA have you been to an OU game and had a look around? Our fans are primarily white heads. They will flock to see Terry Evans an ex OU star.

NAIA have you been to an OU game and had a look around? Our fans are primarily white heads. They will flock to see Terry Evans an ex OU star.

Yeah I've been to a game, not many lately unfortunately. Will an Evans hire drive up ticket sales before the season starts? That's my point. The "white heads" would be there anyways.

Ask Joe C.

According to fans on here, it's Buzz or bust.
Buzz doesn't fall into your category.

I ask again, and I'll rephrase. (I shouldn't have to rephrase, but whatever) If you were Joe C, who are these big time, epic names you would be going after? After you answer that question, name an epic, big time coach OU has EVER hired to coach basketball.

I honestly don't think there is a realistic hire that OU could make that will affect ticket sales initially, at a material level. Any change from one coach to another would be minimal at this point. Whomever we hire is going to have to win the fans back, and he'll do that by winning games.

Yeah I've been to a game, not many lately unfortunately. Will an Evans hire drive up ticket sales before the season starts? That's my point. The "white heads" would be there anyways.

I see your point. I am going to say yes, more people will show up an LNC because of Terry Evans than a guy most local residents and students haven't heard of or seen coach.

I honestly don't think there is a realistic hire that OU could make that will affect ticket sales initially, at a material level. Any change from one coach to another would be minimal at this point. Whomever we hire is going to have to win the fans back, and he'll do that by winning games.

This.

Sorry, OU is not going to pack the Noble b/c Evan or anybody for that matter, is hired...all based on winning

The only guys you can really call home run hires are Bruce Pearl(although NCAA cloud over him), Tubby Smith, and, since we are talking Bruce Pearl some, Kelvin Sampson. We would have to petition the NCAA to get Kelvin. But really outside of those 3. We aren't getting BCG, looks like he's a done deal to Tech.

Buzz doesn't fall into your category.

I ask again, and I'll rephrase. (I shouldn't have to rephrase, but whatever) If you were Joe C, who are these big time, epic names you would be going after?

No need to rephrase, I got it the first time. I'm not talking about myself. I'd be happy with a guy like Mack, Cronin or even Evans. All I'm trying to say is that there's a lot of OU fans that want that splash hire and I don't see how they'd think hiring the UCO coach would fall under that heading. As far as epic names out there? I can't define it for every fan but you've seen the drooling for BCG and now for Buzz. A lot of these fans want to hire the homecoming king, if that makes sense.

This.

Sorry, OU is not going to pack the Noble b/c Evan or anybody for that matter, is hired...all based on winning
Well maybe a Billy Tubbs would fill seats initially. I think there will be more fans show up early next year just to see what the new coach does.

Depends what you consider a homerun.

If it's somebody like Coach K, Self, or anybody like that, we aren't going to land one.

If it's a "sure thing" type of hire, somebody that will just about definitely get us back to say, the level Kelvin had us, I think there are 2-5 names I'd put in there. Maybe more, but some would be a bit outside the box.

Then you have a list of guys that are a lot like Capel. We'd be taking a chance with them. I would like to stay away from this list, b/c the failure rate is going to be higher. And two failed coaches in a row would damanage our program for decades. This next coach HAS to win. Not championships. But he has to get OU into the top 4-5 of the Big 12, and Dancing way more often then not.

No need to rephrase, I got it the first time. I'm not talking about myself. I'd be happy with a guy like Mack, Cronin or even Evans. All I'm trying to say is that there's a lot of OU fans that want that splash hire and I don't see how they'd think hiring the UCO coach would fall under that heading. As far as epic names out there? I can't define it for every fan but you've seen the drooling for BCG and now for Buzz. A lot of these fans want to hire the homecoming king, if that makes sense.
Gotcha.

I think these fans need to get a grip on reality then. If epic is Buzz and BCG, then fine, but if they think we are getting someone like Rick Pitino, Billy Donavan, heck even Jamie Dixon, or someone like that, they need to take a look at who we have hired in our history.

This.

And if the students don't even show up for the football games, what makes anyone think they will show up for the basketball team even if they were winning?

Precisely.

The only guys you can really call home run hires are Bruce Pearl(although NCAA cloud over him),

I think the fact that he now has the NCAA stigma doesn't make him a home run hire. Add that with OU seeing trouble with the NCAA the last 5 years compounds that fact.

Back