Terry Evans very confident he could win at OU >>> Tulsa World

I think there will be more fans show up early next year just to see what the new coach does.

Yes. But like you said, the new coach. That could be anybody. Just hiring somebody that wasn't Capel should help initially. But that isn't specific to any one coach, or one style of play.

Thank you.

Terry Evans has made one Division II Elite Eight appearance.

Jim Tressel prior to being hired from Youngstown State (not Division II, but a comparable jump) had won FOUR national titles.

I'm sure Terry Evans is a really good coach, but I just don't see the point in hiring him right now. He is openly lobbying for the position, he has already told the media it is his "dream job". We could pluck him from a Missouri State, SMU, etc. if he ever went there.

The is a huge difference between winning and recruiting to Youngstown State in football at the FBS level (a traditional national power) and recruiting to UCO at the Division II level which traditionally I can never recall even being respectable until Terry Evans took over. UCO in basketball prior to Terry Evans and Youngstown State in football prior to Jim Tressel are worlds apart; YSU was a national power long before Tressel, UCO was nothing before Evans.

Gotcha.

I think these fans need to get a grip on reality then. If epic is Buzz and BCG, then fine, but if they think we are getting someone like Rick Pitino, Billy Donavan, heck even Jamie Dixon, or someone like that, they need to take a look at who we have hired in our history.

I haven't seen anybody realistically mention those names.

We did get a little crazy before Capel was hired. I remember a lot of talk about Dixon, Calipari, and Jay Wright.

I haven't seen anybody realistically mention those names.

We did get a little crazy before Capel was hired. I remember a lot of talk about Dixon, Calipari, and Jay Wright.

Dixon and Wright were at least small possibilities then....now, no way.

The is a huge difference between winning and recruiting to Youngstown State in football at the FBS level (a traditional national power) and recruiting to UCO at the Division II level which traditionally I can never recall even being respectable until Terry Evans took over. UCO in basketball prior to Terry Evans and Youngstown State in football prior to Jim Tressel are worlds apart; YSU was a national power long before Tressel, UCO was nothing before Evans.

And the fact that YSU players were being paid while Tressel was there.

Definitely a difference.

However, I would be willing to bet that Tressel would get UCO to more than one Elite Eight of the FBS in nine years.

The system doesn't matter, you can win with any system given you fill the roster with the right players. It's all about getting recruits, way more so than X's and O's or gameday coaching. IMO, 95% of a coach's success comes from work done prior to stepping on the floor...recruiting, practice, scouting, film, gameplans, etc. Sure, there are some adjustments made at halftime, but a vast majority is already in place before the ball is tipped. It's not like these guys are drawing stuff up on the fly...the players have already been through the situation in practice.

I'm sure Terry Evans is a good coach, but hiring him is basically taking a leap of faith and saying "well I hope he can recruit at the D-I level", which isn't very assuring compared to other possibilities. You are hiring Terry Evans on a hunch that he will be good and the fact he loves OU. Sorry, but that doesn't cut it.

Tell that to Jeff Capel. Capel couldn't win with 3 McDonalds AA, 5 other top 100 players (Willis, Pledger, Fitzgerald, Ryan Wright, and Tony Crocker), Cade Davis and a handfull of Juco players.

I perosnally could not disagree more. I think it is all about coaching. A good coach wins. A good coach with good players wins championships.

Tressel mixed with football corruption? Where have I seen that before?

What is funny is that the Tom Friend piece in Espn the Magazine with Maurice Clarett about 5 years ago had Clarett describe almost verbatim what happened at YSU. Tressel just set up the same donor giving system in Columbus he had in Youngstown and the NCAA didn't even look into it.

What is funny is that the Tom Friend piece in Espn the Magazine with Maurice Clarett about 5 years ago had Clarett describe almost verbatim what happened at YSU. Tressel just set up the same donor giving system in Columbus he had in Youngstown and the NCAA didn't even look into it.

I forgot about that... And I remember everyone lambasting Clarett for making those very accusations. I admittedly was one of them, since at the time The Vest had this squeaky-clean persona, and Clarett, well.... was Clarett.

Turns out Clarett was onto something after all.

Tell that to Jeff Capel. Capel couldn't win with 3 McDonalds AA, 5 other top 100 players (Willis, Pledger, Fitzgerald, Ryan Wright, and Tony Crocker), Cade Davis and a handfull of Juco players.

I perosnally could not disagree more. I think it is all about coaching. A good coach wins. A good coach with good players wins championships.

Looks like more of a talent evaluation, which falls under recruiting.

I forgot about that... And I remember everyone lambasting Clarett for making those very accusations. I admittedly was one of them, since at the time The Vest had this squeaky-clean persona, and Clarett, well.... was Clarett.

Turns out Clarett was onto something after all.

The Vest didn't deserve that persona as YSU was placed on probation from things that happened while he was the coach. A little basic research would have shown you that Clarett was likely not lying (and doubtful he knew about what happened at YSU).

Looks like more of a talent evaluation, which falls under recruiting.

OU did not lack in talent. They lacked structure, discipline and experience. Perhaps we are arguing semantics more than anything.

I am talking about 2009/2010 not 2010/2011. I think it is fair to say OU lacked talent this last season.

Last edited:
If Terry is hired then I would have to see to believe it

Not entirely accurate as UCO had some good seasons with Jim Seward as head coach in the 90's. His team advanced to the elite 8 at least once in 97 or 98 and they consistently scored 100 points per game. They were a lot like the style Billy Tubbs teams played.

But, your point that UCO was not really a power before Evans took over is correct. They had some good seasons, but not NC type seasons.

All I am asking for is that the guy get a chance at an interview and not be burdened with being too similar to Jeff (young and inexperienced). I also think that "inexperience" can be overcome by a passion for your work, and I have no doubt that Terry will bring that to the OU job. I'd put it to you this way, if it is a choice between Buzz Williams and Terry Evans, I'd probably go with Buzz Williams, but if it is a choice between Terry Evans and some guy who makes a run from a mid-major in the tournament, then I like what Terry brings to the table.

Question: What is the difference between what the HC at UCO makes and what a top assistant at OU makes? I thought I heard that Taliaferro [sp?] was making like $185,000.00 per year, surely Evans isn't making that as the HC at UCO. Maybe my "dream team" is that we get Buzz Williams or someone similar and they bring in Evans as an assistant. Obviously, that isn't the way things work, but it'd be this specific fans perfect scenario.

All I am asking for is that the guy get a chance at an interview and not be burdened with being too similar to Jeff (young and inexperienced). I also think that "inexperience" can be overcome by a passion for your work, and I have no doubt that Terry will bring that to the OU job. I'd put it to you this way, if it is a choice between Buzz Williams and Terry Evans, I'd probably go with Buzz Williams, but if it is a choice between Terry Evans and some guy who makes a run from a mid-major in the tournament, then I like what Terry brings to the table.

Question: What is the difference between what the HC at UCO makes and what a top assistant at OU makes? I thought I heard that Taliaferro [sp?] was making like $185,000.00 per year, surely Evans isn't making that as the HC at UCO. Maybe my "dream team" is that we get Buzz Williams or someone similar and they bring in Evans as an assistant. Obviously, that isn't the way things work, but it'd be this specific fans perfect scenario.

I think the difference in Terry and Jeff is Terry has relationships with the HS coaches in Oklahoma and in Texas whereas Jeff did not. They knew who he was, certainly, but didn't know him personally.

Second, Terry has a system or a style for how his teams play, and Jeff never did. It seemed to me that Jeff thought he could sign a bunch of talent and put them all on the floor together and he would win. I don't think you would see that with Terry. If he finds a kid who may seem like a lump of coal, in Terry's system the kid could maybe be a diamond.

I don't think Terry would take an asst. job but if the situation were setup to him in such a way that it was his job when the head coach left then I could see it. I don't think many coaches would take the job knowing their asst. is the next head coach unless it was a coach in the last few years of his career and was just helping Terry get the experience needed to take over the reigns.

Back