Thank God for Sooner Basketball

Boomer Sooner

Reaction score
:capelspinBecause I can't take the constant let downs and dissapointments. Every time Oklahoma has lost a football game since I was about 4 years old It has felt like a punch in the stomach. Capel you are the man!!

:jcapel :tinypower :pledge :tmg :airwillie :kelvin :boomer :sooner

:capelspinBecause I can't take the constant let downs and dissapointments. Every time Oklahoma has lost a football game since I was about 4 years old It has felt like a punch in the stomach. Capel you are the man!!

Yay!

OU basketball has lost some hurtful games as well.

vs North Carolina back late in the Tubbs era (I hate Rick Fox)
The loss to KU in '88.
The loss to Indiana.
Several more over the years as well.

The loss to KU in '88.
The loss to Indiana.

The loss to KU this past year was kinda hurtful.... You take the fact that they caught us w/o Blake, and that they had a one man team in the last 4 minutes and we, somehow could not stop it.... is kinda unnerving! haha

I know OU is a football school but I like basketball better. Every season football starts it is just a reminder basketball is a day closer to starting.

I know OU is a football school but I like basketball better. Every season football starts it is just a reminder basketball is a day closer to starting.

Same here.

I am an equal parts OU football and basketball fan. I look forward to both, and enjoy both, win or lose.

I will say this, though: having a basketball team with the kind of promise that OU has, with so many talented ballplayers on the roster, and more potentially on the way, is a saving grace when the eventual letdowns come along in football.

For one, the basketball system is one of the things I love about sports. Unfortunately, as football hasn't adopted the playoff system, so much depends on winning every single game to give yourself a chance at a national championship. One loss can be a massive hit - two pretty much kills your chances barring some unseen miracle. In basketball, getting to the tournament is most important, and even 5 or a few more losses can get you into the tourney. Once there, it's all about how good you are at the end of the year that counts.

What hurts so much about OU this year, is that Sam got hurt, our OL had to adjust with a green qb behind center, Landry had to take the world and a season on his shoulders, and now our one truly reliable receiving playmaker is out for the moment. Once Sam is back, this OL settles down, Broyles heals and guys like Caleb and Cameron Kenney step up, the OU team that will roll into a bowl at the end of the year will be much better than the one they may play in - but that is how things bounce when one or two losses completely knocks you out of contention.

Thankfully, Coach Capel is carving out his own niche in OU athletics, which may result in our first basketball championship. In all fairness, sometimes it's more fun to watch a team strive for that first championship, and it be a huge celebration when they achieve the goal. It can be rough to have done it 7 times in 100+ years of football and go into every year disappointed if it does not come about that year.

That first basketball national championship will be one to remember, and I still believe Coach Capel and his boys will be the first to do it here.

:jcapel:gerber:bigbarry:fitz:ryanwright:pledge:tmg:tiny:yoyo:cade:tjfranklin:crocker:randolph :williew :eek:allen:hardrick

Get it done, fellas.:OUbball-logo:

Well said. I said after the BYU lost..."It's Basketball Season BABY"!!!!!!
Now it officially is. Bring on Capel and the boys!!!!!!!!

I am an equal parts OU football and basketball fan. I look forward to both, and enjoy both, win or lose.

I will say this, though: having a basketball team with the kind of promise that OU has, with so many talented ballplayers on the roster, and more potentially on the way, is a saving grace when the eventual letdowns come along in football.

For one, the basketball system is one of the things I love about sports. Unfortunately, as football hasn't adopted the playoff system, so much depends on winning every single game to give yourself a chance at a national championship. One loss can be a massive hit - two pretty much kills your chances barring some unseen miracle. In basketball, getting to the tournament is most important, and even 5 or a few more losses can get you into the tourney. Once there, it's all about how good you are at the end of the year that counts.

What hurts so much about OU this year, is that Sam got hurt, our OL had to adjust with a green qb behind center, Landry had to take the world and a season on his shoulders, and now our one truly reliable receiving playmaker is out for the moment. Once Sam is back, this OL settles down, Broyles heals and guys like Caleb and Cameron Kenney step up, the OU team that will roll into a bowl at the end of the year will be much better than the one they may play in - but that is how things bounce when one or two losses completely knocks you out of contention.

Thankfully, Coach Capel is carving out his own niche in OU athletics, which may result in our first basketball championship. In all fairness, sometimes it's more fun to watch a team strive for that first championship, and it be a huge celebration when they achieve the goal. It can be rough to have done it 7 times in 100+ years of football and go into every year disappointed if it does not come about that year.

That first basketball national championship will be one to remember, and I still believe Coach Capel and his boys will be the first to do it here.

:jcapel:gerber:bigbarry:fitz:ryanwright:pledge:tmg:tiny:yoyo:cade:tjfranklin:crocker:randolph :williew :eek:allen:hardrick

Get it done, fellas.:OUbball-logo:

Amen to the bolded sentence. The flip side of that coin is that once we win one, there will be unrealistic fans who think any year we don't win a National Championship is a bad year.

My feeling after losing the Miami game is much like my feeling after losing the BYU game. It hurts much more for Sam and Ryan to be injured than it does to lose the game.

Amen to the bolded sentence. The flip side of that coin is that once we win one, there will be unrealistic fans who think any year we don't win a National Championship is a bad year.

My feeling after losing the Miami game is much like my feeling after losing the BYU game. It hurts much more for Sam and Ryan to be injured than it does to lose the game.

Agree 100%.

I agree with everything everyone has written here, except liking basketball more. It's even for me. I think the football games hurt more b/c there are so many fewer of them. What hurts this year is all the injuries. I've never seen anything like it.

I agree with everything everyone has written here, except liking basketball more. It's even for me. I think the football games hurt more b/c there are so many fewer of them. What hurts this year is all the injuries. I've never seen anything like it.

I've never seen anything like it either, and I've been following the Sooners since I was a kid in the 1950's.

I've been using the term "snakebit" to describe the football team this year. I am in the same boat: I have never seen anything like what happened to this team this year.

It's as if the worst possible injuries happened at the worst possible time. When we needed Gresham to compensate for a rebuilding wr corp - he is out for the season; when we needed Sam to help make the transition of a new OL a little smoother - he gets injured for half the year; when we did not need any injuries to our wide receivers - we get one (and worse still, to our one reliable playmaker.)

I am just utterly baffled. I've seen teams have a key injury before, but never so many key injuries at the most inopportune times.

The irony is, Demarco Murray is still healthy.

How old are you? I ask because we had to get pretty darn used to losing in the 90s. 4 loss seasons were the good years in that decade.

Losing Gresham, Bradford and now Broyles is a really, really big deal. If all three of those guys are available I am convinced OU wins both games. The Sooners only loss by 1 point in each game.

I am not a coach basher but I have to ask a question. Can any of you name a time that OU did not show blitz and blitzed? How about a time when OU showed blitz and did not blitz. I really don't get that about Venables. Does he truly think it is best to show your hand before the ball is snapped? Surely he doesn't think that yet OU plays that way.

Also, if you the D-line that OU has, why aren't you constantly zone blitzing rather than sending an extra man, two or three.

I also have some questions on offense that I simply do not understand. Why doesn't OU screen more, use more play action, the shuttle pass and more short passing. In 1999 when OU had not been able to compete in football for 4 years the shuttle pass and short passing alone turned OU from a non-competitive team to a competitive team.

I will not pretend that I know as much about football as any of the coaches at OU. There may be excellent reasons that they don't do the "simple" things I think will help but I really don't understand. I watch and think our offense and defense are very predictable.

Every loss in football hurts me just like every loss in basketball hurts me! They are a little easier to take in basketball outside of tourney time but they all hurt. I will agree though knowing the job that Coach Capel has done makes the football losses not hurt as bad. Realistically though losing the players we have in football I think we've battled quite well.

I've been an OU football fan for 57 years and I don't like losing the football games any more than anyone else, but the fan reaction to losses is far far more irritating to me than losing the game.

And heck, in both football losses this year............say we kick a FG at the end of both and win them by 2 points...........then the fan reaction would be no different. Can't enjoy wins because they don't win by enough or the competition was weak , etc etc etc etc etc ad nauseum.

Maybe its just me, but the unrealistic expectations of most OU football fans can ruin it for me. I just stay away from the forums , talk shows, and most of the sports media.

OU basketball is sort've my shelter from the crap.

And I go exploring the net for distractions , catch this shot of a surfer in Australia on a 36 foot wave ..

0,,7025062,00.jpg

I've been an OU football fan for 57 years and I don't like losing the football games any more than anyone else, but the fan reaction to losses is far far more irritating to me than losing the game.

And heck, in both football losses this year............say we kick a FG at the end of both and win them by 2 points...........then the fan reaction would be no different. Can't enjoy wins because they don't win by enough or the competition was weak , etc etc etc etc etc ad nauseum.

Maybe its just me, but the unrealistic expectations of most OU football fans can ruin it for me. I just stay away from the forums , talk shows, and most of the sports media.

OU basketball is sort've my shelter from the crap.

And I go exploring the net for distractions , catch this shot of a surfer in Australia on a 36 foot wave ..

0,,7025062,00.jpg

Very well put. The only thing I would add is that, sadly, some of the fans with unrealistic expectations find there way to basketball boards after football season is over.

The loss to KU in '88.
The loss to Indiana.

Every loss hurts to me. Mizzou was the biggest one this year in my opinion because we just layed an egg. However, there have been no campaigns to fire :jcapel or :kelvin because of a loss or there is no media firing squad ready to shoot down any fan who criticizes the establishment.

constant let downs and dissapointments.

give me a break.

Playing in all those NC games? all those Conf champ games? 2 Heisman winners and a close runner up with an NC?

puh-leeze

I am going to be sad when the OU basketball fans get spoiled too. They're in a good spot right now being appreciative.

Back