The impact of Cameron Clark on Doron Lamb

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
I have found myself thinking that Lamb is more of a possibility for OU because of the recruitment of players by teams that he is favoring. UK may no longer be recruiting Lamb, especially with Poole about to commit Thursday. Arizona is now the leader for Rod Odom, a 6-8 wing. Also, KU has Xavier Henry who likely will play two years. However, Cameron Clark is better or as good as any of those players, with the exception of Henry. Is that a factor that will keep Lamb away? I don't know what position Capel is recruiting Lamb as? Personally, I would recruit him at the PG. Also, I know Tiny will play a factor? I think we will know more once Poole officially commits to UK and Lamb's father makes a statement.

It has always been the prevailing sentiment that if we landed Clark, we would not land Doron Lamb. I don't know if this holds any truth, but I do think it will have an effect. It's going to depend on how Capel recruits him.

The fact that a couple of schools may be passing on Lamb is one in our favor. Personally, I don't think it will make or break OU for Lamb. Clark is a more of a 2/3, whereas Lamb is more of a 1/2.

I could see a lineup with Clark at the 3, and Lamb at the 2 filling Willie's spot once he goes pro. The only recruit I would expect Clark's commitment to affect is someone like Harrison Barnes since they play the same position, and I'm not sure how likely we were to end up with him, in the first place.

Last edited:
I have found myself thinking that Lamb is more of a possibility for OU because of the recruitment of players by teams that he is favoring. UK may no longer be recruiting Lamb, especially with Poole about to commit Thursday. Arizona is now the leader for Rod Odom, a 6-8 wing. Also, KU has Xavier Henry who likely will play two years. However, Cameron Clark is better or as good as any of those players, with the exception of Henry. Is that a factor that will keep Lamb away? I don't know what position Capel is recruiting Lamb as? Personally, I would recruit him at the PG. Also, I know Tiny will play a factor? I think we will know more once Poole officially commits to UK and Lamb's father makes a statement.

Dirty I'm a little confused in your theory on recruiting. In a discussion not to long ago you were saying all these recruits wouldn't go to a school that is bringing in players at the same position. Do you think that helps or hurts schools? I've always thought players want to go where other players are. In the past you've said no to that. I'm just curious which way you think.
I personally think Lamb ends up at KU or OU. I think he wants to win titles and play with other great players. He wouldn't have went to Oak Hill if that wasn't the case.
Oh, and I will be very surprised if X Henry plays a 2nd year at KU. By the pickup reports he's dominating.

Dirty I'm a little confused in your theory on recruiting. In a discussion not to long ago you were saying all these recruits wouldn't go to a school that is bringing in players at the same position. Do you think that helps or hurts schools? I've always thought players want to go where other players are. In the past you've said no to that. I'm just curious which way you think.
I personally think Lamb ends up at KU or OU. I think he wants to win titles and play with other great players. He wouldn't have went to Oak Hill if that wasn't the case.
Oh, and I will be very surprised if X Henry plays a 2nd year at KU. By the pickup reports he's dominating.

That's what I'm saying. All these guys are wings. Poole, Clark, Odom, Woolridge, and Henry would compete for PT with Lamb. That's why I think it would be a good idea to recruit Lamb as a PG or combo. Lamb is a little more of an onball player than Clark and Odom. However, they both play the wing.

cheno, do you not think he will play a couple years so he can continue to play with his brother, similiar to what blake did...I mean his brother did transfer to play with him

They are a perfect tandem to play on the wing together. Clark at the 3 and Lamb at the 2. I think we have a great shot at Lamb selling him on coming in and replacing Willie.

That's what I'm saying. All these guys are wings. Poole, Clark, Odom, Woolridge, and Henry would compete for PT with Lamb. That's why I think it would be a good idea to recruit Lamb as a PG or combo. Lamb is a little more of an onball player than Clark and Odom. However, they both play the wing.

I wouldn't include Woolridge in there. He isn't a threat to Lamb, imo. He sounds like a nice player but more like a Tyrell Reed than Doron Lamb. I think Xavier Henry is the big issue for KU in whether he stays or not, not to mention they still have Elijah Johnson waiting in the wings. KU is pretty stacked at the wing position for the next couple years.

It sounds like Arizona would have the earliest and easiest playing time available.

At OU Lamb would be competing with Davis, Willis, Pledger, and Taylor for the 2 guard spot. He's probably ultimately the best player of that group but it still quite a few guys to have to pass.

Lamb would start at the 2 at OU. With all due respect to Davis and Willis, they won't be much competition for Lamb. And while Pledger is going to be a nice player for us, he is not better than Lamb. Lamb probably starts wherever he goes, to be honest. He's that good.

But at OU, he comes right in and replaces Warren as a combo guard while Clark replaces Crocker at the 3, and that's exactly what I bet Capel is pitching these guys. Clark even made mention of filling Crocker's shoes in an interview I read on another site. Those two are just on another level compared to what he have here.

Clark's commitment does not effect Lamb in any way. In fact, it helps because it helps enhance the class he comes in with. I'm really liking our chances here, especially since we Tiny to also help, and the first official set. I've also heard Capel is Lamb's mother and father's favorite coach.

I'm actually more concerned about Arizona, or another school getting into the mix, right now than Kansas.

Last edited:
Some of this has been said, but I'll piggyback...

I personally don't think Clark is a factor at all with Lamb. OU loses Warren and Crocker and there isn't a clear player on campus stepping into either of those spots. Clark is likely going to play the three in a traditional lineup, and Lamb would fit nicely into the shooting guard spot. I think Lamb and Zeigler seem to be the recruits that won't wind up here together. They play much more similarly than Clark does.

I don't think a coach really gets to recruit a guy as a certain position just because it fits his roster. The player knows who he is and what kind of game he has...a coach isn't going to sell him on anything different. That said, I think Lamb already is something close to a combo guard, so he still is a great fit for this class.

The person it really sucks for is TJ Taylor. He got recruited over pretty quickly.

I don't think it will impact Doron at all. Different positions.

The person it really sucks for is TJ Taylor. He got recruited over pretty quickly.

It would also really suck for Reed, Releford and Morningstar if KU gets Lamb. Actually, the difference in this scenario is that if Lamb commits to OU Taylor is still free to sign elsewhere, so he's not actually getting recruited over like in this instance like the KU kids are.

It would also really suck for Reed, Releford and Morningstar if KU gets Lamb. Actually, the difference in this scenario is that if Lamb commits to OU Taylor is still free to sign elsewhere, so he's not actually getting recruited over like in this instance like the KU kids are.

Exactly.

And don't forget about Royce Woolridge. Like Taylor, he's not even signed yet either and Kansas is trying to recruit over him with Lamb. That really sucks for him too.

Last edited:
And don't forget about Royce Woolridge. Like Taylor, he's not even signed yet either and Kansas is trying to recruit over him with Lamb. That really sucks for him too. :D

Yup. I have a feeling that T.J. will be fine.

What is this talk about TJ being recruited over...I guess I dont know what you mean?

In terms of talent TJ will be fine! He will probably be our best defender in a couple years because of his ability to use his strength against oponents....He is key for this class because of his defensive ability and the ability to play multiple positions...I truly believe TJ is just as important as any other player in the class aside from Clark....We have already wrapped up the two guys I wanted...Clark (which I think will be the top offensive guy we get) and TJ (Which I think will be the top defender we get)...I couldnt be happier about the two recruits we have committed...
Add lamb and im exstatic...He may start over TJ but I definitely see TJ getting alot of minutes (yes maybe even just as many as lamb) because of his ability to play defense...I really see him as a lock down defender...and with so many offensive threats we will have, having that lockdown defender truly makes him very valuable!

I was told from someone on the Oak Hill team that Lamb isn't sure about Arizona cause Momo is a ball hog and that He and Lamb really love Capel

What else is funny about the "OU's got Clark so that helps KU with Lamb crowd" is that Clark commits to OU on Sunday, and then 48 hours later we have an article with quotes from Lamb's father saying his son's first official visit will be to OU. He must have not received the memo up there in New York yet that Clark is a Sooner. Ya think?

TJ is a four year player. Rest assured, if he and Lamb both come to OU, both will see the court if they put in the work.

Capel, being a former point guard, seems to want an offense that is heavily guard-oriented. That is evidenced by the fact he wants to have 2 pgs out there at the same time. So I am not concerned for TJ. I think to run the system he wants to run, Capel needs as many athletic guards as possible. And, TJ's defensive abilities are going to be his equalizer in this situation.

Back