The Official Trae Young Accolades Thread

skyvue

Reaction score
There have been and will be so many stories, so many awards, so many tweets and posts about Trae, I figured it might be good to have a thread to contain news of them all.

Here's the latest: For the second week in a row, the Big 12 awards are a Sooners sweep. Trae Young is the Big 12 Player of the Week and Brady Manek earns Big 12 Newcomer of the Week.

That marks the first time in Big 12 history that one pair of players from the same school earned both honors in consecutive weeks.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to accumulate all the weekly, monthly, and annual honors he receives. Freshman of the year, player of the year, MVP of the Big 12 tournament, all tournament team, etc. Let's keep track of them in this thread and list them all out at the end of the year.

Should be pretty crazy.

As a reminder, he wasn’t on the 1st or 2nd team all Big12 teams. And OU was picked 6th.

There have been and will be so many stories, so many awards, so many tweets and posts about Trae, I figured it might be good to have a thread to contain news of them all.

Here's the latest: For the second week in a row, the Big 12 awards are a Sooners sweep. Trae Young is the Big 12 Player of the Week and Brady Manek earns Big 12 Newcomer of the Week.

That marks the first time in Big 12 history that one pair of players from the same school earned both honors in consecutive weeks.

This isn’t a knock on Manek, but how did he earn “Newcomer of the Week” over Trae. I guess what is the criteria.

This isn’t a knock on Manek, but how did he earn “Newcomer of the Week” over Trae. I guess what is the criteria.

Pretty Simple. You can't win both in the same week. Trae won Big Twelve player of the week so he cannot win Big Twelve Newcomer of the Week.

trae1a.jpg

And both games were against Top 10 opponents.

Last edited:
Was sent this by a buddy who snagged off Twitter

50 years ago, Pete Maravich averaged 43.8 PPG his 1st season of varsity at LSU. He scored or assisted on 51.8 PPG and his offensive output has never been rivaled.

Until Trae Young.

Young is scoring or assisting on 52.6 PPG entering today.

He's phenomenal. It was so much fun getting to see him live today. TCU really defended him quite well, I thought, but at some point he just decided to drive to the hoop nearly every time since the refs were calling everything. The drive at the end was absolutely the right play, too. He plays like such a veteran.

Bill Simmons complimenting Young.

Trae Young is the best freshman college guard I have ever seen.
https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/947212157661224960

I forgot about Derrick Rose. My bad. Revising my list to... 2. Magic 3. Kenny 4. Chris Jackson 5. D Rose 6. Iverson 7. Jalen Next 5 were probably Marbury, Alford, Kidd, Isiah and (gulp) Bobby Hurley. (Remember: only freshman guards I’ve seen... so no Maravich.)

Nor was there a shot clock which would have given him more possessions.

Those two pessimistic comments are true but it is also true that the parity that exists today did not exist back then. Therefore it was easier to put up big numbers against the weaker teams and only 5 guys could play at a time on the loaded teams. Additionally nobody has been able to rival Pistol Pete for decades. Therefore, it really isn't necessary to discount what Trae is doing.

Back