The oklahoman’s super 5 first team

bluesooner17

Reaction score
MACY GORE SEILING

Macy Gore rarely hesitated to let the 3-pointer fly.

After a season in which she felt like her shot was never quite right from long range, she was going to do more.

More shooting. More creating.

“Get to the paint and shoot off dribble for 3,” Gore said.

Simple, yet effective during a season in which Gore became one of the state’s most dynamic point guards. She was the unquestioned leader of the state’s most dominant small-school program to earn a spot on The Oklahoman’s Super 5 team.
“She controls probably 95 percent of everything,” said Gore’s twin sister, Karly. “She’s the one that gets us going.”

Macy Gore, a 5-foot-9 junior, has always been Seiling’s creator. But this season she became the offensive leader with 17.2 points, 6.3 assists and 4.6 rebounds while leading the way to a third straight state title.

She took 109 more 3-pointers than her sophomore season and increased her percentage from 28 percent to 42. This came after spending her summer travel season focusing on her longrange jumper.

“I really worked on the offensive side so I was able to create more shots and hopefully create more shots for my teammates,” Gore said.

And when she wasn’t on the floor, her teammates found things were a struggle.

In Seiling’s lone loss to Owasso, Gore missed a stretch with a minor injury.
During the Class A state semifinals, she played less than 20 minutes due to foul trouble. Seiling survived in double overtime only when Karly took over.

“She was just a creator for us all year long,” Hamar said. “It was incredible, really.”

Gore now understands the challenge of next season.

Seiling is no longer the small team large schools overlook. But Gore feels up to the challenge.

“Hopefully we’ll come out and our girls will want to work harder this year and step up and do the job again,” Gore said.

JACOB UNRUH, STAFF WRITER

INFO
• Height: 5-9
• Position: Point guard
• Class: Junior
• The story: A dynamic floor general, Gore became the heart and soul of the state’s most dominant small-school program. She averaged 17.2 points and shot 42 percent from 3-point range while averaging 6.3 assists. It was her leadership that helped lead the way to a third straight title and led to an offer from Oral Roberts.

SYDNEY MANNING CASHION

Sydney and Tosty Manning have yet to talk about the end.

Sydney’s final prom and graduation are fast approaching.

She is set to play college basketball at Missouri State, where she will be coached by someone other than her mom for the first time since she was 4 years old.

“I wouldn’t say it’s super sad, but it’s crazy to think she’ll never,” Sydney said, stopping to point out that Totsy will coach her during this summer’s Oklahoma Girls Basketball Coaches Association All-State game.

But then Sydney will put behind a highly successful high school career that led to a state championship and two state runner-up finishes with her mom as the coach.

This season, it was their first at Cashion, and it resulted in a Class 2A state runner-up finish after three seasons at Deer Creek.

In those four years, Sydney became arguably the state’s most complete player.

This season, she averaged 17.1 points, 7.5 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 3.4 assists to earn back-to-back appearances on The Oklahoman’s Super 5 team.

Totsy made sure Sydney was comfortable while trying to balance coaching and being her mom. Sydney always had the green light to do what was needed.

Totsy even looked to her in crunch time.

But it’s time to move forward.

Sydney is hoping to help build something special at Missouri State. And Totsy has full confidence it’s the perfect fit for Sydney after she turned down in-state offers from Tulsa and Oral Roberts.

“I think she is going to flourish,” Totsy said.

“She’s ready. We’ve had to decide it’s time.”

Even though she’s not coaching, Totsy will still get to enjoy Sydney playing for the first time in years.

“I’m excited for her to get to watch as a parent and get to cheer and not worry about what defense to call and those kinds of things,” Sydney said.

INFO
• Height: 5-9
• Position: Guard
• Class: Senior
• The story: After three years in Class 6A, Manning looked more complete at her new school to earn a repeat spot on the Super 5 team. She averaged 17.9 points, 7.5 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 3.4 assists as she led Cashion to a Class 2A state runner-up finish. Manning will play next year at Missouri State.

JESSI MURCER WESTMOORE

Jessi Murcer can’t wait for unlimited access to a gym.

It’s in the late hours or time between class she’ll put up shot after shot to reach perfection. Tired or not, she won’t care.

It’s something Westmoore’s star never had in high school, but it’s the best part of playing next season at Oklahoma.

She’ll have a chance to continue moving forward in her development, past times she took poor shots and made bad passes.

“I think because I was inexperienced,” Murcer said.

But in her final season, Murcer was her best version yet, a player who rarely made the wrong decision on the court.

Murcer averaged 21.3 points while leading the Jaguars to the Class 6A area tournament to earn a spot on The Oklahoman’s Super 5 team.

She hit game-winners and scored more points often on less shots.

“It was probably the main thing I was focusing on this year compared to the other years, mostly because of the program I’m going in to,” Murcer said.

“They’re going to need me to be as efficient as possible.”

She scored 2,065 points in her career, the most in Westmoore school history.
Last season, she scored a career-high 22.7 points but missed the playoffs with a broken bone in her hand.

She made up for lost time this season, increasing her shooting percentage from 49 to 54 on just seven more shots in four more games.

And even though the Jaguars missed the state tournament she classified the year as a success.

“I am happy with my four years at Westmoore,” Murcer said.

“I got to play with my sister, so that’s the best thing I could have asked for.

“And I feel like I grew a lot as a person and a basketball player, which growing as a person is way more important than a sport.”

INFO
• Height: 5-7
• Position: Guard
• The story: A dynamic scorer, Murcer became a more efficient shooter while averaging 21.3 points to lead the Jaguars to the area tournament. The state’s Gatorade Player of the Year, she also became the school’s all-time scoring leader, finishing with 2,065 career points as a four-year starter. Murcer has signed with Oklahoma.

CE’NARA SKANES PUTNAM WEST

The past two years were almost like a dream to Ce’Nara Skanes.

Skanes started as a sophomore at Putnam West, realizing the program was beginning its turnaround from a one-win program.

The Patriots made the area tournament for a second straight year, a milestone considering the previous turmoil.

Never did she imagine she would put up the decisive basket in the Class 6A state championship game last month.

“It was a major improvement,” Skanes said.

Skanes, a 6-foot forward, became the driving force for a deep, talented Putnam West team that finished as the Class 6A state runner-up.

She averaged 15.5 points and 8.2 rebounds to earn a spot on The Oklahoman’s Super 5 team.

“I think she just gave us a great opportunity,” Putnam West coach Carlos Adamson said.

“It’s not always pretty, but she always gets the job done.”

Skanes’ length can sometimes make things appear awkward, but she’s a strong slasher who is developing a solid jumper.

That’s what Florida International, the school she signed with in November, wants from Skanes in the future. And Adamson recognized that this season, so he adjusted Skanes’ role.

No longer was she a post-up player or primary ballhandler. Instead, she was hanging around the free-throw line for short jumpers, pick-and-rolls and more.

“So, I took a few 3s here and there,” Skanes said.

As Skanes worked on her jumper, she developed rapidly, going from a post player to versatile star who took on the leadership role of the team.

It was Skanes who took over in the second half of the title game. She had the final shot, a runner that would have forced overtime at the buzzer, but it rolled off the rim.

A few years ago, she might have laughed off the thought of that play even happening.

“It wasn’t the way we wanted to end it, but it was still great,” Skanes said.

INFO
• Height: 6-0
• Position: Forward
• The story: Skanes’ length and athleticism were often too much for opponents, whether she was attacking the basket or showing off her improved jump shot. She averaged 15.5 points and 8.2 rebounds as she led Putnam West to the Class 6A state championship game. Her versatility led her to sign with Florida International.

Is it Milton? Murcer 54%. Wow. Macy Gore 28% soph. 42% Jr on 109 more 3 pointers. Maybe Coale needs to take a look. Sounds like she is a hard worker.

Milton is the player of the year she had her own write up not published here. She led her team to champ and is a top player in ok. I am surprised Gregory did not make top 5 list.

Where’s Skanes going to college? Have we offered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skanes is going to Florida International. Milton is going to UTA. For class of 18 in OK midmajors seem to be the level top players can play. The 19 class has gregory and Lauren fields who i have heard nothing about much this year who is currently committed to Cal. Then you have the 20 class who i am told has much better prospects. But i would think if you are a top elite level player you would grace the list of many post season awards. Levings is a name I’m again surprised not to see here.

Milton is the player of the year she had her own write up not published here. She led her team to champ and is a top player in ok. I am surprised Gregory did not make top 5 list.

It seemed odd to see a guard scoring less than 12 points per game selected over a guard who scored over 22 points per game.

It seemed odd to see a guard scoring less than 12 points per game selected over a guard who scored over 22 points per game.

One led her team to a State Championship and the other didn't even make it to the State Tournament. I am assuming that was the deciding factor.

One was 6A. The other was 4A if I remember correctly.

These are not selected by the same criteria that a college coach might go by. When a first team candidate is looking at Florida International or Missouri State while another second or third-teamer is looking at Cal-Berkeley or Oklahoma, it is obvious that the selection criteria are quite different. Quite a number of solid D-1 powers are looking at Gregory. But, she is also a junior and at Holland Hall. It will be interesting to see how she is assessed by these same people next year when they make their all-state teams. Blue chip teams and all-state teams are historically quite different in football.

These are not selected by the same criteria that a college coach might go by. When a first team candidate is looking at Florida International or Missouri State while another second or third-teamer is looking at Cal-Berkeley or Oklahoma, it is obvious that the selection criteria are quite different. Quite a number of solid D-1 powers are looking at Gregory. But, she is also a junior and at Holland Hall. It will be interesting to see how she is assessed by these same people next year when they make their all-state teams. Blue chip teams and all-state teams are historically quite different in football.

Owasso was also 6A, they even beat Westmoore in the playoffs. I would agree that they are chosen with a different criteria, as they should be. I think Gabby Gregory not being 1st team had more to do with her being in Tulsa and this is an OKC area paper. I would assume she will be 1st team in the Tulsa World.

Very true and if it’s still like it was years ago, there can be a little politics involved, especially with coaches All-State teams.

Actually most of the talent level is very even in ok at least for the top 18 yes some can gonto Oklahoma but would prob be a star at Tulsa. Just a preference in recruiting. The kid going to Missouri state decommited from Arkansas. The big thing to look at tonsee if you have a higher prospect than others is look at the bulk of their offers are they for mid majors and a couple d 1 or are they primarily d1. Some kids are looking to play some want to go to highest school they get offer from but at end of day they all try to choose what’s best for them.

Back