The OU players' times in their latest mile run

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Source: SoonerSports.com

MILE TIMES
Strength and conditioning coach Jozsef Szendrei was kind enough to share the team's individual mile times from Monday morning. The Sooners are in their fourth week of a six-week preseason conditioning program and run the mile once a week. Here are this week's times:

Cade Davis: 5:29
Ryan Randolph: 5:33
T.J. Franklin: 5:45
Tony Crocker: 5:49
Beau Gerber: 5:53
Ray Willis: 5:53
Willie Warren: 6:20
Barry Honoré: 6:21
Steven Pledger: 6:22
Tommy Mason-Griffin: 6:25
Ryan Wright: 6:25
Andrew Fitzgerald: 6:26
Tiny Gallon: 6:56
Kyle Hardrick: 7:10
Orlando Allen: 7:34

MILE TIMES
Strength and conditioning coach Jozsef Szendrei was kind enough to share the team's individual mile times from Monday morning. The Sooners are in their fourth week of a six-week preseason conditioning program and run the mile once a week. Here are this week's times:

Cade Davis: 5:29
Ryan Randolph: 5:33
T.J. Franklin: 5:45
Tony Crocker: 5:49
Beau Gerber: 5:53
Ray Willis: 5:53
Willie Warren: 6:20 Ran Backwards
Barry Honoré: 6:21
Steven Pledger: 6:22
Tommy Mason-Griffin: 6:25
Ryan Wright: 6:25
Andrew Fitzgerald: 6:26
Tiny Gallon: 6:56
Kyle Hardrick: 7:10
Orlando Allen: 7:34

:D

Not surprising, except I figured Willie would be in better shape than Barry Honorore.

Man Barry Honore can really move for a big fella. Impressive. Think about what kind of time he can post once he drops some weight.

I hated the mile in offseason...put me on the line runnin sprints and i was good but that long distance was a beast...

therefore i never hold it against any player that doesnt run a fast mile considering it has pretty much nothing to do with what happens on the court (other than great for conditioning)...Cade's time is impressive tho

I hated the mile in offseason...put me on the line runnin sprints and i was good but that long distance was a beast...

therefore i never hold it against any player that doesnt run a fast mile considering it has pretty much nothing to do with what happens on the court (other than great for conditioning)...Cade's time is impressive tho

Agreed. It isn't something to read too much into. Though, a fast mile does imply good conditioning I am not sure a slow mile necessarily implies bad conditioning unless it is a really slow mile.

It is possible that everyone will be able to run it in less than 7 minutes by the end of the 6 week training period which would be outstanding.

therefore i never hold it against any player that doesnt run a fast mile considering it has pretty much nothing to do with what happens on the court (other than great for conditioning)

This.

I think it is important mentally...just to teach your brain endurance over long stretches, even when your body is ready to give up.

Big O needs to get it in gear.

This....kudos to Honore, that's impressive.

I would have thought they could all run under six minutes just because they are in such good shape. I am pretty sure I could break a 6 minute mile when I was about 30 (I would have been darn close), although I can actually run faster if I take a quarter to warm up (it is really hard for me to run the first quarter fast, it just zaps my eneregy). Additionally, I was running on a treadmill and I think that makes a fairly significant difference (as in faster) than running on the street or track.

I'm not accusing anybody of anything, but I find it really hard to believe that Tiny Gallon ran a 6:56.

I'm sorry. I just dont think he could have done it. Maybe he ran FOR 6:56 before he stopped a quarter mile short?

I'm not accusing anybody of anything, but I find it really hard to believe that Tiny Gallon ran a 6:56.

I'm sorry. I just dont think he could have done it. Maybe he ran FOR 6:56 before he stopped a quarter mile short?

The vid they showed from a week (or two) ago, he finished.... Tiny had been working really hard on his weight through conditioning and dieting.... So, IMO, it is not out of the realm of possibility for him to run a mile under 7 mins.

Some of these guys seem surprisingly slow to me. I would think all the guards would be under 6 mins. When I was at Tulsa Memorial we had to run a preseason mile to see how well we were conditioned going into our senior year and I had my fastest mile at 5:39. I think I was 4th on our high school team. I think all of our guards were either under 6 minutes or really close. I guess I just expect college players to be faster... They probably would have all dominated me in a shorter sprint, which is more important for b-ball...

I think some of you guys are seriously underestimating how quick a 6 minute mile really is. I spent 8 years in the military, and while there were a few guys that could run two miles in the 10 minute range, they were very few. Most guys fall in the 13-15 minute range for 2 miles. A 6 minute mile is a really quick pace.

I realize that it is a little easier to run a 6 minute mile than a 12 minute two mile, before anyone points that out. Basketball players, while in great condition, don't train to maximize thier time over a long distance run, so I am pretty pleased with all of those numbers.

Just for the record, if you had been out there watching, I bet Cade Davis looked like he was just short of sprinting to run it in 5:29.

I am not trying to question Yo Yo's coaching however the Mile is the most wasted run you can do for a basketball kid. Well the 2 mile might be worse.

It teaches you to pace yourself and to jog. You need to spring in basketball. If you want to run it at the beginning and hten at the end to show progress fine. However Buildups, 150's and 200's are much better for conditioning.

That being said, those mile times are not very good. We have high school kids running faster than that as sophmores.

I think some of you guys are seriously underestimating how quick a 6 minute mile really is. I spent 8 years in the military, and while there were a few guys that could run two miles in the 10 minute range, they were very few. Most guys fall in the 13-15 minute range for 2 miles. A 6 minute mile is a really quick pace.

I realize that it is a little easier to run a 6 minute mile than a 12 minute two mile, before anyone points that out. Basketball players, while in great condition, don't train to maximize thier time over a long distance run, so I am pretty pleased with all of those numbers.

Just for the record, if you had been out there watching, I bet Cade Davis looked like he was just short of sprinting to run it in 5:29.

6:00 is SLOW for a major D-1 guard. I coached an 8th grade boy who ran 4:53 last year and he isn't athletic at all. You don't have to be sprinting to run a 5:32 mile. That means you are running an average of 1:23 a lap. That is not that fast.

I wouldn't invest too much into these times however to say 6:00 is a fast time for a college basketball player isn't really accurate. I am not athletic at all and ran the 2 mile in 10:57 and the mile around 5:15. I wasn't recruited to play D-1 ball at most schools because "I wasn't athletic."

Back