OU and the Bubble...

NY Soonerfan

Reaction score
As an admitted bubble nerd, I figured I’d take advantage of a slow OU hoops week and delve into who could make the 68 teams come March. There’s a been a lot of good discussion on the board and I’ve been quite adamant that a 7-11 finish in the B12 would make us a “mortal lock” to get in, but I wanted to try and take an overview and put some names down on paper and see just how good (or bad) we look, in comparison to the rest of the bubble teams.

*** I know I rarely post (though I’m on this dang board about 57 times a day LOL) and this is probably obnoxiously long, so I apologize if it breaks any site rules or is a real eyesore, etc. ***

I’ve sussed it out below in tiers, starting with the 32 automatic berths, which I awarded to the current conference leaders as of today, and then followed that with the 36 at-large berths that are available. I then further broke that down into tournament locks and bubble teams, then further broke that down into legitimate bubble teams and real reaches (as of today).

I came up with 22 locks, which means I have 14 potential at-large berths still available. After applying the legit/reach divider, I came up with 20 teams for those 14 spots, and their resumes are listed towards the end of this. And, after seeing it on paper for the first time, and using stats and committee criteria (NET ranking, quadrant wins, etc.), there’s little to no question in my mind we are making the tourney if we finish 7-11 in the B12. I even think it’s not out of the realm of possibility we make it at 6-12, though obviously that would be an uphill battle.

Right now, of the 20 teams I have on my list, EIGHT of those teams hail from power conferences (I did include the Big East in this list) and have under .500 records. That’s pretty remarkable, especially when you consider who the other 12 teams are and how they are far from household names and have very questionable resumes that are inflated by several Q4 wins (of which we have none, as I’ve said many times).

Now, obviously I’m far from 100% right on any of this, and there could be a few teams that I have as locks that aren’t and end up bombing and missing, and there could also be a few reaches that are firmly in the legitimate category and go on a run and make it. But, I think it’s pretty clear that we are in a great spot, should we finish the season strong.

The only caveat to all of this, just like it is every year, would be the locks from potential one-bid conference tournaments that lose. This list would be Nevada, Buffalo, Washington, Wofford and Gonzaga. If one or more of these teams lose, then our position would become very precarious.

America East: Vermont (68)

American Athletic: Houston (4)

Locks (1): Cincinnati
Bubble (4): Central Florida (39), Temple (53), Memphis (61), South Florida (79)

Atlantic 10: VCU (37)
Bubble (2): Davidson (72), Dayton (75)

ACC: North Carolina (9)
Locks (6): Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Florida State, NC State
Bubble (2): Syracuse (42), Clemson (44)

Atlantic Sun: Liberty (55)
Bubble (1): Lipscomb (47)

Big 12: Kansas State (28)
Locks (3): Texas Tech, Kansas, Iowa State
Bubble (4): Texas (35), Baylor (33), Oklahoma (38), TCU (41)

Big East: Marquette (19)
Locks (2): Villanova, St. John’s
Bubble (4): Butler (50), Seton Hall (64), Georgetown (71), Providence (74)

Big Sky: Montana (106) ***

Big South: Radford (133) ***

Big 10: Michigan (7)
Locks (5): Michigan State, Purdue, Wisconsin, Maryland, Iowa
Bubble (4): Nebraska (46), Ohio State (42), Minnesota (52), Indiana (57)

Big West: UC-Irvine (99) ***

Colonial: Hofstra (57)

C-USA: Old Dominion (80)

Horizon: Northern Kentucky (109) ***

IVY: Yale (67)

MAAC: Canisius (276) ***

MAC: Buffalo (18)
Bubble (1): Toledo (65)

MEAC: Norfolk State (252) ***

MVC: Drake (136) ***

Mountain West: Nevada (22)
Bubble (2): Utah State (36), Fresno State (93)

Northeast: St. Francis (263) ***

Ohio Valley: Murray State (60)
Bubble (1): Belmont (53)

Pac 12: Washington (30)
Bubble (3): Arizona State (66), Oregon (72), Oregon State (85)

Patriot: Lehigh (152) ***

SEC: Tennessee (6)
Locks (5): Kentucky, LSU, Auburn, Mississippi State, Ole Miss
Bubble (3): Florida (31), Alabama (51), Arkansas (71)

Southern: Wofford (24)
Bubble (3): Furman (45), UNC-Greensboro (60), East Tennessee State (68)

Southland: Sam Houston State (173) ***

SWAC: Prairie View A+M (221) ***

Summit: South Dakota State (96) ***

Sun Belt: Georgia State (134) ***

WCC: Gonzaga (1)
Bubble (2): St. Mary’s (40), San Francisco (48)

WAC: New Mexico State (58)

Automatic Bids: 32
Locks: 22
Available Spots: 14

Bubble Teams: 36

Legit (20): (NET ranking), W-L/Conference W-L, QI/II wins, Q4 wins (Q4 losses)

Florida (31): 15-11/7-6, 3/3-5
Baylor (33): 17-9/8-5, 4/7-5 (2)
Texas (35): 15-11/7-6, 4/4-3
Utah State (36): 21-6/11-3, 1/2-12
Oklahoma (38): 16-10/4-9, 3/5-0
Central Florida (39): 19-6/9-4, 0/5-6
St. Mary’s (40): 18-10/9-4, 1/1-8
TCU (41): 17-9/5-8, 1/5-4
Syracuse (42): 18-8/9-4, 3/5-4 (basically a lock, but they have a nightmare schedule to end the season)
Ohio State (43): 17-9/7-8, 4/3-5
Clemson (44): 15-11/5-8, 1/3-6
Furman (45): 22-5/11-4, 1/3-14
Nebraska (46): 15-12/5-11, 2/5-4
Butler (50): 15-12/6-8, 2/5-3
Alabama (51): 15-11/6-7, 2/7-3
Minnesota (52): 17-10/7-9, 3/5-6
Belmont (53): 22-4/13-2, 2/3-14
Temple (54): 19-7/9-4, 1/5-7
Seton Hall (64): 16-10/7-7, 3/8-3
Arizona State (66): 18-8/9-5, 4/5-6 (2)

Reaches (16): Lipscomb (47), San Francisco (48), Indiana (57), UNC-Greensboro (60), Memphis (63), Toledo (65), East Tennessee State (68), Davidson (70), Arkansas (71), Dayton (74), South Florida (76), Georgetown (69), Oregon (72), Providence (73), Oregon State (85), Fresno State (93),

Lock Conference Leaders (5): Buffalo, Gonzaga, Nevada, Washington, Wofford

Bubble Conference Leaders (7): VCU, Liberty, Hofstra, ODU, Yale, Murray State, New Mexico State

Very well done. You are absolutely right in saying that if we get three more regular season wins, we are in. If we only get two more, it'll depend on how other bubble teams fare and obviously we'd need to avoid a loss to OSU or West Virginia in KC. Either way, tomorrow is a must.

Well done NY. Great detail and list of all teams....and I'm a fellow bubble nerd and stat geek. There are so many intriguing bubble teams this year that have glaring warts (i.e. either not near enough Q1/Q2 wins or too many bad losses).

I look at a team like Arizona State. They beat KU and Mississippi St (good wins), but they also have two horrible losses (@Vandy and at home to a terrible Wazzu team). And the PAC-12 is so terribly down this year that they only have one more potential opportunity for a Q-1 win....and that is if that meet up with Washington in the PAC-12 tournament. They might be in trouble....especially if they don't play/beat Washington again.

And then there are teams like UCF and Utah State....who have gaudy records, but very hollow resumes (only one Q-1 win between them). This is why, after some study, that I now realize OU isn't in as bad of shape as I first thought. OU has the Q-1 and Q-2 wins (and the opportunity for a few more) while avoiding the bad losses. When put in context and compared to fellow bubble teams, OU is likely seeded in the 9/10 range if the field were announced today. Still, we need to win at least three more in order to feel really comfortable.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Here's hoping we get on a run and remove any doubt.

I will update this as the night goes on:

Florida (31): Won
Baylor (33): Won
Texas (35): Lost
Utah State (36): Won
Oklahoma (38): Won
Central Florida (39): Won
St. Mary’s (40): Won
TCU (41): Won
Syracuse (42): Lost
Ohio State (43): Lost
Clemson (44): Won
Furman (45): lost to Wofford (who we beat)
Nebraska (46): lost....they are just about done.
Butler (50): bye this weekend
Alabama (51): Won
Minnesota (52): Lost...they have got to be on the "outside looking in" as of now.
Belmont (53): Won
Temple (54): Won
Seton Hall (64): Lost
Arizona State (66): Won

Last edited:
Major props to you, NY Soonerfan! Impressive, time-consuming breakdown on the bubble teams we’re competing with for a spot in the dance. Thank you very much!

Thank you, too, stormspencer!

Thanks again guys!

And I think it was a pretty good day to be a Sooner fan. We won a game we had to win, while giving Texas a very damaging loss, and a few other bubble teams lost as well. Like SS said, Nebraska is basically all but done, Seton Hall is getting close, and Furman lost the one game (at home too) they needed to win to really give them a chance, since I can't see a team in the Southern getting in with five conference losses.

Thanks again guys!

And I think it was a pretty good day to be a Sooner fan. We won a game we had to win, while giving Texas a very damaging loss, and a few other bubble teams lost as well. Like SS said, Nebraska is basically all but done, Seton Hall is getting close, and Furman lost the one game (at home too) they needed to win to really give them a chance, since I can't see a team in the Southern getting in with five conference losses.

Minnesota really had a damaging loss tonight. Like us, they are going to have a couple of Q-1 opportunities before the season over.....but they are in trouble after tonight.

Minnesota really had a damaging loss tonight. Like us, they are going to have a couple of Q-1 opportunities before the season over.....but they are in trouble after tonight.

Absolutely! That was a bad, bad loss and one that really helps us too.

OU moved from a 10 to a 9 in Bracket Matrix today. Out of 101 bracketologists, exactly one doesn't have then in.

Last edited:
Other bubble teams playing tonight:
Ohio State
Alabama
TCU
Temple
Syracuse
Utah State

Other bubble teams playing tonight:
Ohio State
Alabama
TCU
Temple
Syracuse
Utah State

TCU is in triple ot with WVU - in the time it took to look these up WVU went from down 1 to up 8 now just over a min left
Syracuse is up on UNC at the under 4 for the first half
Bama Won at south carolina
Ohio State beat #22 Iowa
Temple up 5 on memphis at the half
Utah State just tipped

Last edited:
TCU is in triple ot with WVU - in the time it took to look these up WVU went from down 1 to up 8 now just over a min left
Syracuse is up on UNC at the under 4 for the first half
Bama Won at south carolina
Ohio State beat #22 Iowa
Temple and Memphis Tied just before half time
Utah State just tipped

TCU about to go down. Also, Butler (who was on the "outside looking in") lost at home to Providence. It would be nice if Memphis knocked off Temple. I expect Utah State to win tonight.

TCU on the verge of a damaging loss. West Virginia had about a dozen chances to win in regulation and the first two OTs but may actually hold on this time.

Memphis beat Temple 81-73
UNC beat Syracuse 93-85
Utah State beats San Diego St 70-54
Indiana beats Wisconsin 75-73 in double ot

Last edited:
Memphis beat Temple 81-73
UNC beat Syracuse 93-85
Utah State beats San Diego St 70-54
Indiana beats Wisconsin 75-73 in double ot

The Providence win at Butler was a great result for us; PC is likely too far gone for it to matter, but it was severely damaging for Butler's at-large chances.

And that loss sure won't help Temple's chances either.

And now, if TCU keeps losing, they will have a similarly poor conference record like us, and we'll have beaten them twice, so we will look that much better.

With OU being as "locked in" as they almost are, just goes to the state of college basketball. Regardless of OOC record or wins, no team that goes 6-12 in their conference should get in. And in most years, I don't think they would. But this is one weak field that we are almost certainly going to benefit from.

Last edited:
With OU being as "locked in" as they almost are, just goes to the state of college basketball. Regardless of OOC record or wins, no team that goes 6-12 in their conference should get in. And in most years, I don't think they would. But this is one week field that we are almost certainly going to benefit from.

I don't think we are anywhere remotely close to "locked in" at 6-12. We'd be a coin flip, at best, with that record. All bets are off if we finish 6-12.

But yeah, I do agree with you totally that 6-12 is pretty pathetic and you don't deserve to be in. The fact we still could just basically speaks to the state and age of CBB these days. And likely going forward too, especially with all these power conferences that have way too many teams.

My only argument to the bad conference records from the power leagues would be "What do you think the mid-majors would be in those conferences?" Me personally, can't imagine the East Tennessee State's and Belmont's of the world being any better than 6-12, and definitely not 7-11. I'm not necessarily saying one side is right and one side is wrong, I just think it's a fun discussion and one the people in favor of the little guy probably don't think about (or what to think about).

Back