OU and the Bubble...

Confident that we are in the dance.

Having Buffalo and Washington win would just make that more comfortable for the other teams looking up at us. Good feeling to have. Loving UT sweating this out. They are toast in my book. Such a massive failure with their talent.

UT isn't even under consideration, IMO. There's just no possible way the committee can put a .500 team in, especially one who would likely be missing one of their key players (Hayes).

The American could steal a spot if somehow Houston or Cincy didn't win (Memphis/WSU). Neither of those teams are getting in without winning their tourney.

Memphis/WSU beating Houston seems like a true David vs. Goliath. Houston is unbelievable this year. Kelvin Sampson and the Houston Cougars are 30-2 this year and won their first AAC Tournament game by 40 points.

It's an amazing season, and Kelvin Sampson should be National Coach of the Year. Look at this starting 5:

PG: Corey Davis---- Juco transfer who averages 17 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists per game. Had offers from LA Tech, Louisiana Lafayette, and Western Kentucky.
SG: Armoni Brooks --- Junior averaging 14 points, 7 rebounds per game... Had offers from Nebraska, Cal Poly, Fresno State, Creighton, etc
SG: Galen Robinson --- Senior with offers from Bowling Green, TCU, UTSA, Sam Houston State, Lamar, Citadel, etc.
F- Fabian White --- Sophomore with offers from Florida Gulf Coast, SMU, and UTSA.
F- Breon Brady --- Juco transfer with offers from ASU and Washington State

30-2 with a bunch of nobodies... Shaka Smart at UT can't even put a competent team on the floor and Kelvin Sampson is 30-2 with a bunch of guys nobody wanted....

But that is Kelvin Sampson... He assembles a team. He has a formula. He says you need 3 good players, thats it. Then around 3 good players as your "core" you need a couple shooters, a couple of slashers, a couple of rebounders, etc. From that point its just coaching, defense, toughness, etc.

When he gets his 3 good players and the role players he needs for his system, he's going to win a lot.

Something to be learned in that... Don't always just go chasing the best player you can get. I remember a quote from Capel somewhere that said that.. He is going after the most talented player, regardless of team need. At some schools, that isn't how you win. At others, it is. Capel comes from Duke where you just get all the best talent. At Houston, OU, OSU, and others... You have to put a team together.

Re: OU and the Bubble.

Something to be learned in that... Don't always just go chasing the best player you can get. I remember a quote from Capel somewhere that said that.. He is going after the most talented player, regardless of team need. At some schools, that isn't how you win. At others, it is. Capel comes from Duke where you just get all the best talent. At Houston, OU, OSU, and others... You have to put a team together.

Well said!

It didn’t work for Capel either. The year after BG left, he had three Mickey D All-Americans in Gallon, TMG and Warren, with one heck of a supporting cast that included Crocker, Fitzgerald, Pledger, Davis, Honore and Wright, among others. OU was 13-18 that season, 4-12 in conference play, proving that you’ve got to have the right pieces and the right team chemistry to have a successful season..

abd and Ada ... Agree with what you fellows are saying. It also seemed to me that KS was able to identify recruits that played with toughness. He either recruited tough players, or he somehow instilled toughness into his players after they arrived on campus.

I thought that Spangler and Isaiah Cousins played with toughness, but that seems to be a trait that has been missing for the past 3 seasons at Oklahoma.

I am hopeful that there are some "tough guys" coming into the program. I think Doo can be a very "tough" player as a senior.

Absolutely, but I can't see Houston losing, and there's Cincy on the other side too, so I'm not considering that scenario at this point.

Only thing that worries me at all is that Memphis is playing on their home floor and knows they need to win. Will definitely be rooting fot both favorites to win today.

The Oregon game was tough last night because I found it painful to cheer for a Hurley. But if Washington wins tonight, that's the best case scenario.

Absolutely, but I can't see Houston losing, and there's Cincy on the other side too, so I'm not considering that scenario at this point.

I would be stunned if one of Houston or Cincy doesn't win that tournament. They are on another level compared to Wichita and Memphis.

Pac 10 is down to Washington and Arizona State....so we are good there....oops. I missed that. How did Oregon come back and win that game? They were down the last time I checked last night.

But we are ok.

Only thing that worries me at all is that Memphis is playing on their home floor and knows they need to win. Will definitely be rooting fot both favorites to win today.

The Oregon game was tough last night because I found it painful to cheer for a Hurley. But if Washington wins tonight, that's the best case scenario.

It's funny you mention rooting for a Hurley, bc, as I watched Marquette and then Arizona State yesterday, I said under my breath, "I can't believe I'm thinking this, but I'd love one of those two guys to be our next coach."

LOL

I would be stunned if one of Houston or Cincy doesn't win that tournament. They are on another level compared to Wichita and Memphis.

Pac 10 is down to Washington and Arizona State....so we are good there....oops. I missed that. How did Oregon come back and win that game? They were down the last time I checked last night.

But we are ok.

WSU is probably the second best team in that conference right now, and I think they beat Cincinnati today, so I'm really hoping Houston takes care of business.

ASU went ice cold last night, and had several VERY questionable decisions during the end of that game. They tried hard to lose, and were able to pull it off lol

It's funny you mention rooting for a Hurley, bc, as I watched Marquette and then Arizona State yesterday, I said under my breath, "I can't believe I'm thinking this, but I'd love one of those two guys to be our next coach."

LOL

I watched Arizona State yesterday and thought my god these kids are playing stupid

We're still in unless there are quite a few more bid stealers.

That said, I can't help but laugh at all the guys on the team who took to social media after the KU win to say "We're going to the dance", before promptly getting their butt kicked by KSU and then laying an egg against WVU to put us in this position.

Man did Houston ever try to give that game to Memphis. Missed about 500 straight free throws, turned it over several times, and gave up scores of offensive rebounds down the stretch. Thankfully Memphis couldn't take advantage. One potential bid stealer down, four to go.

Don’t get the love for texas. Yeah, they have 2 good wins but 16-16 should never get in the tourney unless you win the conference auto bid.

Also, don’t understand the temple love.

Belmont is more deserving than texas, temple, NC state, and any of the last 4 in

Don’t get the love for texas. Yeah, they have 2 good wins but 16-16 should never get in the tourney unless you win the conference auto bid.

Belmont is more deserving than texas, temple, NC state, and any of the last 4 in

I don't even think Texas is under consideration any more. The committee can't put a .500 team with 16 losses in the NCAA Tournament.

Belmont is my 70th team, but I'm not going to complain if they make it. However, their claim to fame is two wins over Lipscomb, a win at UCLA and a win over Murray St. That's pretty much pure bunk. They also lost twice to Jax St. (I know they were third in the conference, but still). Plus they have 17 (!) Q4 wins. They don't really have much of an argument, with the obvious exception that all of the last few teams have extremely weak resumes too.

I don't think there is much love for Texas. They are in the conversation because they have five really good with, but I think they'll fall short.

Bowling Green and Oregon are the only bid stealers left. So for those teams right on the cut line, today has been a good day.

Oregon looks like they will steal a bid. Washington has been HORRIBLE offensively and has stretches of bad defending to boot.

Here's my 68 listed below (in order). After going through it all, I think we're closer to an 8 than we are a 10 (though I'd MUCH rather have a 10). The teams/resumes we're competing against just completely stink beyond belief. After the first 10 teams overall, I really think you can throw the rest of the names against the wall and seed the 3's-6's in about any order you want.

Last four in: TCU, Arizona State, NC State, Furman
First four out: Clemson, St. John's, Belmont, Temple

1 - Duke, Virginia, UNC, Michigan State/Gonzaga
2 - Michigan State/Gonzaga, Tennessee, Kentucky, Michigan
3 - Houston, LSU, Purdue, Florida State
4 - Texas Tech, Wisconsin, Virginia Tech, Kansas
5 - Iowa State, Villanova, Miss State, Kansas State
6 - Auburn, Marquette, Louisville, Maryland
7 - Cincinnati, Buffalo, Wofford, Nevada
8 - Seton Hall, Utah State, Syracuse, Minnesota
9 - Florida, Iowa, Oklahoma, Ohio State
10 - St. Mary's, Central Florida, Washington, VCU