The recruiting class for 2012 is big time

thebigabd

Reaction score
Two 4-star guards and Amath M'Baye.

Buddy Hield (6'4'' 190)
-Great size for a shooting guard. Had offers from OU, CU, Boston College, Memphis, Missouri, A&M, Utah, and others. Good shooter, always in "attack mode" per his coach on offense. A scorer who can score from anywhere on the floor.

Jelon Hornbeak (6'4'' 185)
-Again, great size for a shooting guard who still has another year of high school left. Had offers from OU, Arizona, BC, Louisville, Pitt, Texas, Mizzou, WVU, and many others. Thats a big time offer list. Everything indicates that he is a true combo guard that can play PG, SG, and SF. Great athlete, and ESPN scouting report says he has range out to 25 feet. Great with the ball or off the ball.

Amath M'Baye (6'9'' 215)
-Instant starter next year at power forward. Averaged 12 points and 6 rebounds as a sophomore for Wyoming. Averaged 13 and 6 in MWC play. Had a 27 point game against Air Force. Had 24/7 against his new coach. Gets to sit out, gain weight, practice, and get better this year.

Now this is an OU recruiting class. No questionable characters (WW, Tiny), no clowns (TMG, WW, Tiny), and multi-talented guys who are very good athletes, have skill, etc.

These are the types of guys you win with. They are talented, 4-year guys (Hornbeak and Hield). The transfer provides an older guy with outstanding experience along with talent. He and Osby should be a very athletic duo in the paint next season, along with Clark on the outside.

Last edited:
I love M'baye, but I don't know if he starts next year. I would say Fitz and Osby start down low with Clark on the wing. I see AM being the first big off the bench and getting tons of minutes..but doubt he starts. JMO.

I love M'baye, but I don't know if he starts next year. I would say Fitz and Osby start down low with Clark on the wing. I see AM being the first big off the bench and getting tons of minutes..but doubt he starts. JMO.

Fitz is a guy who has shown he can do one thing at an "OU level" on a basketball court, and that is score. He might be the worst rebounding starter OU has ever had, he cant block shots, he cant defend, and he has athletic limitations.

Not only can M'Baye score, but he is taller, longer, more athletic, and can do more things

Agreed. Assuming Fitz improves on his defense and rebounding this year (and I think he will), I see M'Bathe coming off the bench as a super sub. In theory, he could replace Cam, Osby, or Fitz in the lineup. That is a nice luxury to have.

Plus, that would allow him to shake off the rust of sitting out for over a year.

Now this is an OU recruiting class. No questionable characters (WW, Tiny), no clowns (TMG, WW, Tiny), and multi-talented guys who are very good athletes, have skill, etc.

How is TMG not a questionable character? I couldnt help but ask...!:clap

I doubt that M'Baye will replace a senior with three years experience as a starter, but don't rule that out entirely. Fitz has two glaring weaknesses he will have to improve on this season, if he wants to keep his job: rebounding and defense (see foot speed). Experience, toughness, leadership and the ability to score from fifteen and in will be among the strengths he'll bring to the table.

I met M'Baye at the Legends event, and he is an impressive physical specimen. He's listed as an inch taller than Fitz, but appeared to be more than that, at least from my perspective. Judging by what I have seen of him on video, he's more athletic and a lot quicker. It's also important to remember that everyone on this team is starting at square one in learning Kruger's offense. Drew's only advantage is that he will have been part of running the offense in real game situations.

I'm not saying that M'Baye is a sure bet to start over Fitz or anyone else on the team, just that he has a very good chance to do it, providing he proves that he is the real deal between now and the start of the season in 2012.

I doubt that M'Baye will replace a senior with three years experience as a starter, but don't rule that out entirely.

We do not yet know if Fitz is starting out of necessity or if he can actually play. Keep in mind that OU has gone 27-36 since Fitz got here (not saying its his fault, im just saying he hasnt produced on a good team) and we do not know if he is putting up decent points on an awful team or what. I mean, last year he was the only guy who got a touch inside the 3pt line, so his opportunities were sky-high.

But, a big part of that 27-36 record over the past 2 years has been rebounding and post defense. He hasnt shown that he can do well in those areas, and he also needs to show that he can produce on A.) a winning team and B.) a winning team with someone else who touches the ball inside the 3pt line.

Im not sold, and I think M'Baye brings more in most departments. Especially after a year of working hard and getting better. More athletic ability, more height, longer, etc. He just has the things that Fitz will never have, IMO.

We will know a lot more after this season, with Arent and Osby on roster.

I met M'Baye at the Legends event, and he is an impressive physical specimen. He's listed as an inch taller than Fitz

Fitz, and I mean this, is 6'6'' at best. He is not 6'8'' on any planet, especially this one.

Last edited:
We do not yet know if Fitz is starting out of necessity or if he can actually play. Keep in mind that OU has gone 27-36 since Fitz got here (not saying its his fault, im just saying he hasnt produced on a good team) and we do not know if he is putting up decent points on an awful team or what. I mean, last year he was the only guy who got a touch inside the 3pt line, so his opportunities were sky-high.

But, a big part of that 27-36 record over the past 2 years has been rebounding and post defense. He hasnt shown that he can do well in those areas, and he also needs to show that he can produce on A.) a winning team and B.) a winning team with someone else who touches the ball inside the 3pt line.

Im not sold, and I think M'Baye brings more in most departments. Especially after a year of working hard and getting better. More athletic ability, more height, longer, etc. He just has the things that Fitz will never have, IMO.

We will know a lot more after this season, with Arent and Osby on roster.

Fitz, and I mean this, is 6'6'' at best. He is not 6'8'' on any planet, especially this one.

Just from watching the recent videos. If Arent is a legit 6'10'', then Fitz can not be taller than 6'7'' If Arent is alittle less, that gets Fitz to around 6'6". And Osby looks to be a hair shorter than Fitz. It is no mystery why he had so much trouble trying to defend and rebound against what were often much bigger opponents.

Deos it matter who starts? Either way OU will have two legitimate guys to play in the paint and that is an improvement.

Back