The West Virginia late night

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
A question for the board, where the heck was the compliance department during this blatent violation? I mean, you had guys with cardboard cutouts, signs, even T-Shirts, and they were sitting courtside. There is even a photo of Payne taking a photo of the students.

I think the NCAA should make an example out of this because it should have been shut-down. Either you have the rules or your don't. This wasn't a "grey area" thing like a chant coming from the student section...

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I remember our students cheering Ryan Humphries when he came to game when he was a Senior in high school. I seem o remember the students cheering for another recruit at a game in the past few years (Blake or Willie?) Where does the NCAA draw the line?

I remember our students cheering Ryan Humphries when he came to game when he was a Senior in high school. I seem o remember the students cheering for another recruit at a game in the past few years (Blake or Willie?) Where does the NCAA draw the line?

That is the tough part. But, it is one thing when a student section cheers or chants his name. How do you expect compliance to stop that? Its another thing all together when students are wearing TShirts with the recruits name and photo on them, and have a ton of props. Clearly, the compliance department turned a blind eye, and if you are going to have rules, then WVU should get punished.

Now whether or not I agree with that rule is another story....

Last edited:
That is the tough part. But, it is one thing when a student section cheers or chants his name. How do you expect compliance to stop that? Its another thing all together when students are wearing TShirts with the recruits name and photo on them, and have a ton of props. Clearly, the compliance compartment turned a blind eye, and if you are going to have rules, then WVU should get punished.

Now whether or not I agree with that rule is another story....

Perhaps that's why we have those Compliance rules posted at the football stadium - they could be posted at LNC, too, but I've never noticed them.

The NCAA wants to clamp down on the effects of social media, but there is no way they will be able to do this. You can't police what kids do. Now if the university coordinated this, they're dead wrong.

The NCAA wants to clamp down on the effects of social media, but there is no way they will be able to do this. You can't police what kids do. Now if the university coordinated this, they're dead wrong.

You can't tell me that they couldn't easily have taken away the props and shirts and stuff. This was clear cut, and easy to stop. Don't you think they should be punished? If the rules are in place then compliance departments need to do their jobs....

I think their mascot Mountaineer guy was even holding a cardboard cut-out on the court. That definitely is a big no-no.

You can't tell me that they couldn't easily have taken away the props and shirts and stuff. This was clear cut, and easy to stop. Don't you think they should be punished? If the rules are in place then compliance departments need to do their jobs....

I think a secondary violation. I don't like to squelch these young kids enthusiam. I do have a problem when you have a guy like Greg swaim coordinating the making of bobbleheads and fans attending pickup games.

A couple of pics:

madness017-1.jpg

madness007.jpg

I think their mascot Mountaineer guy was even holding a cardboard cut-out on the court. That definitely is a big no-no.
Technically it is a Mountaineer gal this season which I find quite odd.

A chant I can understand and maybe one or two T-shirts but given the NCAA rules on this I think they went a little overboard. Of course I wish we could get our students that pumped for regular games so maybe I'm a little jealous.

No doubt they are cool signs. I love 'em. But you can't tell me that the Mounties compliance department did not see those things.
I could understand them not seeing maybe one or two signs/shirts but the whole thing went overboard.

As long as it stays in the stands I don't see a problem with it. Seeing how it looks like a player and the mascot was involved, it is a problem. I really don't see the difference b/t this and when we all chanted Reggie, Reggie, Reggie to get Reggie Smith

If what's being done in those photos is an NCAA violation, then that's just ridiculous.

West Virginia is going to be really good this year, IMO.

Can they? If you are a state actor (like a state school) I am not sure you may do this. It sure seems like a content based restriction on speech. If it is, it would be subject to strict scrutiny under Con Law and that pretty much means you can't do it. I think the school could say no signs but a ban on t-shirts would be problematic in that style is expressive and protected (you can have a tatoo if you want a tatoo).

Honestly, it would be a great lawsuit because it might cause the Supreme Court to reverse itself on whether or not the NCAA is a state actor. I think under current law the state schools are in a no win situation.

The line that was crossed and that likely got WV in trouble was when people acting on behalf of the university got involved.

You can claim a First Amendment protection for the speech and expression of the fans, but the player and mascot can be limited in that venue. JMHO

The line that was crossed and that likely got WV in trouble was when people acting on behalf of the university got involved.

You can claim a First Amendment protection for the speech and expression of the fans, but the player and mascot can be limited in that venue. JMHO

Actually a school may not defend that it is protected speech under the first amendment because the NCAA is not a state actor. That is the entire problem. As long as the NCAA is not a state actor it does not have to give due process, equal protection, or honor any other constitutional rights, including the right to free speech.

Back