The West Virginia late night

I agree that the rule is kind of foolish. But if you don't enforce it you will get all kinds of behavior, some school supported and some not. No school will know where they stand and then some school will get burned by an arbitrary judgment. Either enforce the rule or abolish it.

If LNC security can successfully confiscate the "Eddie is a drunk" posters from the students coming in they could certainly police the sign thing. There is no way to police a chant from the student section.

If LNC security can successfully confiscate the "Eddie is a drunk" posters from the students coming in they could certainly police the sign thing. There is no way to police a chant from the student section.

If someone were to sue over taking that sign, OU would lose. If they allows signs at the LNC, they cannot have restrictions based on content. The government in this country cannot pick and choose which speech it will allow. A complete ban of certain types in certain situations is allowed as a reasonable time, place and manner restriction (local sign ordinances are arguably allowable although most are probably unconstitutional if actually challenged) but state actors cannot not allow me to hold up a sign that says I love Eddie Sutton and stop BigTime from saying Eddie is a drunk (particularly when it is true). That is clearly the law in this country although I don't think it has been applied to a sports event.

If someone were to sue over taking that sign, OU would lose. If they allows signs at the LNC, they cannot have restrictions based on content. The government in this country cannot pick and choose which speech it will allow. A complete ban of certain types in certain situations is allowed as a reasonable time, place and manner restriction (local sign ordinances are arguably allowable although most are probably unconstitutional if actually challenged) but state actors cannot not allow me to hold up a sign that says I love Eddie Sutton and stop BigTime from saying Eddie is a drunk (particularly when it is true). That is clearly the law in this country although I don't think it has been applied to a sports event.

yes they can. you would lose this battle man.

Based on what Supreme Court Authority? If signs are allowed they cannot have a content based limitation on speech. The only way you lose this case is if a court concludes the LNC is not a public forum.

There is a big difference between saying no signs of any nature and we don't like this sign.

Based on what Supreme Court Authority? If signs are allowed they cannot have a content based limitation on speech. The only way you lose this case is if a court concludes the LNC is not a public forum.

There is a big difference between saying no signs of any nature and we don't like this sign.

Its not a public forum. You have to pay to get it. So you think somebody should be able to bring in a sign that has cuss words, guns, nudity, etc.? That would be alright?

Back