This is two games against crap teams that OU has not looked good...

in no way did we play bad against mount saint marys and in no way are they a crap team

God forbid someone says something negative about our team ... we didnt play well at all tonight outside WW need to step it up

St Marys is pretty good. Anyone expecting Final Four looking team on Nov 16 th is fooling themselves. Our main weakness is interior defense. A lot of that can be corrected. We will be ok.

can't tell everything yet, but have to admit I am really concerned about the interior D and rebounding. The D is just horrible at times - way too easy shots inside and know lateral movement. Hope that improves in a hurry. Watching the end of the Zags give #2 Mich St all they wanted, I could not help but think we will be lucky to hang with them if we play anywhere close to that.

You'd think most of you have seen enough basketball to understand how it works, but I guess not. Even experienced teams are going to have less than amazing performances against bad teams from time to time. 4 of our best players are freshmen and our best player is a soph as we all know, they just played 2 days ago, it was not exactly a game they were going to get hyped up for, but it's a game, it's a win, and there is plenty of points for them to work on before the next game.

I am very encouraged by the potential of this team and excited to see them continue to grow. Sure I would have liked to see us win by 40 tonight, just as I did on Saturday, when I was at the game. There was plenty to like about them and plenty to correct that Capel will take care of.

This team will play it's best basketball come conference time and as the year goes on.

Just be patient and look at the positives and let Capel take care of the other stuff.

We are a young team and, yes, will have lots of ups and downs.

These first two games have gone as expected rather than "not looked good" in my opinion.

It will be a lot of fun to watch the froshs develop throughout the year.

in no way did we play bad against mount saint marys and in no way are they a crap team

This was my first thought. We've only played on bad team and played sloppy, but won. This is a classic case of young teams playing down to their opponent. I think we we are in Big games the young players will probably play up to our opponents.

Many will side with the notion that young players are a reason for inconsistent play but on "any level" there are players who make plays and those who watch. Right now we don't have enough of those players who make plays but an abundance of watchers. Gallon should have dominated against this team and I think he had one basket. Enough said.

Im actually more concerned with the turnovers than the D. We need to value the ball more.

Anyone expecting Final Four looking team on Nov 16 th is fooling themselves.

Yea, expecting OU to look decent against a 10 win team is the same as expecting a Final Four team.

Anyone who expected a finished product on November 17th is being unreasonable.

See above response.

Many will side with the notion that young players are a reason for inconsistent play but on "any level" there are players who make plays and those who watch. Right now we don't have enough of those players who make plays but an abundance of watchers. Gallon should have dominated against this team and I think he had one basket. Enough said.

Fitzgerald didnt score and Gallon had one basket

Lots of overreaction on this board.

Reminds me of the people who were disappointed with BG early in his freshman year and thought he was "just a great athlete"...

Calm down.

Why are you calling the Mount a bad team? They aren't good, but they aren't "crap" either. They will probably be in the tournament. If you told me we would open the season with two double digit wins, but turn the ball over too much in one game, I would say that is about where I expect us to be. This is a really lame thread. It reminds me off football fans who complain about OU beating Baylor by only 2 TD. We were more than 10 points better than both teams and ULM's entire game plan was based around slowing the game down. They are an experienced team and had a good game plan that was well executed, but we still beat them by 11 points.

My only concerns with the game are making sure Tiny stays out of foul trouble (and a connected point) not getting out rebounded. As the season goes on turnovers will get under control and players will get more familiar with each other and the offense. If you are unhappy right now with our play then you had some really unrealistic expectations. We won the two games by a combined 35 points. If you are unhappy with where the team is right now it has more to do with your unrealistic expectations than with the teams performance.

Last edited:
Last year we beat someone named Gardner Webb by 4 points at home, then went on to make the Elite 8. The year before, we lost at home to Stephen F. Austin, but won a game in the NCAA tourney. Yes, we have question marks and weak areas. But it's too early to draw too many (or too conclusive) conclusions.

we are only 2 games into the season so i am not going to panic about anything just yet. I expect teams to have advantages on OU in the post, rebounding, and turnovers in the early going this season. This team is going to have growing pain just like many other teams. At this point its just best to take it one game at a time and not dwell on the upcoming games.

Someone said Willie Warren was the only bright spot. I thought he had problems tonight myself. Steven Pledger was awesome. I'm uber glad we got him.

I think what draws the ire of some posters has nothing to do with what "could" happen next week or next month and so on but more to the point of what "has" happened. When you have three Mcdonalds all americans you should be running roughshod over weaker opponents.

Someone said Willie Warren was the only bright spot. I thought he had problems tonight myself. Steven Pledger was awesome. I'm uber glad we got him.

I agree. Outside of a bunch of free throws and uncontested layups, which you get in pregame warmups, he didn't show any promise from the outside and yes, he is a guard.

I watched from about 10 minutes left in the 1st half to about 5 minutes left in the 2nd half. And it seemed like when Gallon was in the paint on defense, and man would get near him with the ball, he's move his hands back in a "I didn't foul him" way, instead of just keeping his hands up.

Maybe camera angles were playing with my eyes, but it sure seemed like it. I'm sure it will get corrected. Gallon's defense, not my eyes.

The big thing with the young players is learning consistency. A lot of talent on this team, it's going to fun watching how they develop.

Back