Thoughts on tonights game....

Puma and Cheetah were on the floor together for our best streach

Just got back from the game. First off, Blair is not that quick and that scares me going against good competition. The PG from Northern St. was quick but we are going to face quicker PG's than that. Newell came in and stayed with him for the most part. We are too small inside to compete with the big boys. I hope CJ Washington is pretty good because we need help inside. Our best lineup tonight was in the second half with Newell, Pledger, Cade, Honore, and Ahmed. Honore was setting great screens for the shooters and Ahmed gave us some length and heighth down low. He needs to get stronger but he definitely has some upside. They seem to be competitive and have a want to win but we will have to outscrap the other team. Capel needs to let this team play to its strengths. I like the scrambling defense, trapping, pressing, etc. At least we can only get better from here. :)

We played a lot better when we stopped jacking up 3's. This team needs to play to its strength. We need to improve on D and try to get a good look in the half court.

If OU has another bad season, why keep Capel around? OU can find the money to buy out his contract.
Exactly, his recruiting track record just hasn't been good enough if this happens. I think we'll still win around 20.

If OU has another bad season, why keep Capel around? OU can find the money to buy out his contract.

The difficulty might be the probation OU will probably have to serve for the Gallon incident. Get the hammer thrown at us and it will be difficult getting the right coach to come to Norman. Given the buy out is $6.4 million it might not be the right time to make a move. If we lose scholarships waiting a couple of years until the lost scholarships are behind us could all us to attract a better candidate for coach.

Once TJ is back I think he'll help this team a bit. He has a college level body and I think he can make a good impact.

I'm hoping for something around 15 wins, we'll learn a lot soon but the most glaring thing is that there definitely seems to be too many guys on the team who aren't OU level.

I will be interested in seeing what Taylor brings to OU's backcourt. In my opinion, talent and depth at guard is the most important factor in building a successful college team. If he's not ready to step in and contribute minutes at both the 1 and 2, OU is going to be even more susceptible to fatigue and foul trouble.

ABD what box score were you reading or game were you watching? Thompson finished with eight rebounds, Cam Clark had more than three points (try eight or nine), and Fitz had 13 points and 10 rebounds. If you don't believe me just read the box score. Will the team have to play much better? You're darn right they will, but let's at least look at the correct box score before coming on the board and posting doom and gloom. This was one exhibition pre-season game. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Exactly, his recruiting track record just hasn't been good enough if this happens. I think we'll still win around 20.

:ez-laugh: Seriously? I'm not a doom and gloomer, but this team would be overachieving if it got 15 wins. Hopefully with 15 Capel keeps his job. But I'm seeing a 10-win season.

Michigan St., Ohio St., and Syracuse? What are three teams that have lost exhibition games to D2 opponents over the past 3 years. Folks, this isn't the case of playing traveling old-man AAU teams now. Players at these smaller schools have a bunch of pride and winning over a "name" team in an exhibition is a big deal to many of them. I know everybody was hoping Cam would come out and put up 30, but it was his first D1 game. Maybe Blair isn't the greatest defender, but I'll take 8/3 A/TO any day. I think many just need to take a deep breath and realize this team is a work-in-progress and just see if they get better over the year and reserve judgement until the end.

I didnt see the game, but judging from the game thread and other comments i am seeing a lot of what could have been expected from our first game...this team and some of the players were getting some undue hype because we hadnt seen them play and had nothing to compare them too...

This team is going to struggle, but hopefully we will see them continue to get better each game and compete...most of us know that is the best we can ask for...all the premature talk about tourney and that jazz is just what it was, premature...

I'm going to support this team for what it is...and hopefully now that they have hit the court we can get a better understanding of where they need to improve and who has the talent...

I still cant sit here and judge guys cause i didnt see them play, but out of the stats the thing that jumped out at me most was Pledger, only shot 3 3's and finished over 20 pts...that shows me he is a much more complete player this year...i expected the other guys to struggle some no matter the competition in the first few games as they try to figure each other out in game situations...but for those that like to analyze basketball this will be an interesting year from that standpoint...

Michigan St., Ohio St., and Syracuse? What are three teams that have lost exhibition games to D2 opponents over the past 3 years. Folks, this isn't the case of playing traveling old-man AAU teams now. Players at these smaller schools have a bunch of pride and winning over a "name" team in an exhibition is a big deal to many of them. I know everybody was hoping Cam would come out and put up 30, but it was his first D1 game. Maybe Blair isn't the greatest defender, but I'll take 8/3 A/TO any day. I think many just need to take a deep breath and realize this team is a work-in-progress and just see if they get better over the year and reserve judgement until the end.

Not only this, but we didnt lose the game. We won by double digits. And as far as Blair goes, not only did he had 8 assists, but he only played half the game. He could have easily had 12-13 assists had he finished the 2nd half. But Capel wanted to see what Newell, Honore and Abdi could do. It's an exhibition game.

Back