Tiny Gallon and Tommy Mason-Griffin?

Sooner23

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on them just over halfway through the season? Other than them missing practice that's caused them to miss a couple starts, and Tiny's collapse at the end of the Gonzga game, I think they give pretty good effort. Agree or disagree?

I have been disappointed mainly due to the immaturity and lack of effort on the defensive side of the ball. I will be surprised if TMG will be on the team next year with his tardiness and lack of respect for coach Capel..

An outsider's perspective: Gallon is a beast in the paint and the team NEEDS to let him touch the ball every possession. For a few reasons, one: he's a good offensive player and two: he seems to get frustrated when he doesn't get the ball and things start spiraling.

Mason-Griffin looks really, really good at times. But then he'll shoot an ill-advised three pointer or he'll drive into the paint and shoot a fade away baseline jumper. But that's just freshman stuff.

Mason-Griffin will be a terror in 2 years, I think. Maybe sooner.

I think that they will both be fine players over the next year or two. Tiny needs some more conditioning [coupled with learning the post] and I think the shared role with WWIII has thrown TMG off a little bit. Overall, they are who I thought they were [haha]. The practice thing baffles me, but Tiny seems to be stepping up, I expect TMG to follow.

I think that they will both be fine players over the next year or two. Tiny needs some more conditioning [coupled with learning the post] and I think the shared role with WWIII has thrown TMG off a little bit. Overall, they are who I thought they were [haha]. The practice thing baffles me, but Tiny seems to be stepping up, I expect TMG to follow.

I agree!

What are your thoughts on them just over halfway through the season? Other than them missing practice that's caused them to miss a couple starts, and Tiny's collapse at the end of the Gonzga game, I think they give pretty good effort. Agree or disagree?

Missing practice aside, I'm pleased with what I have seen so far from both players.

Tiny is averaging close to a double-double in points and rebounds (11.9 ppg and 8.6 rpg). That's pretty darned good for a freshman not named Blake Griffin. I doubt if anyone expected Tiny to rebound at that level. He has done nearly everything Coach has asked him to do this season. Wish I could say that about everyone on the team.

Tommy leads the team in assists with an average of 4.9 per game and a 2.3/1 assist to turnover ratio, plus he's shooting better than 41% from three and 72% from the free throw line. To put TMG's assists into perspective, he is ranked third in the conference behind Tech's John Roberson (5.5) and Garrett at ISU (5.4), and he's ahead of UT's Balbay, who has a 4.5 apg average.

I honestly don't see how anyone can be unhappy with the way these two freshmen have performed this year.

Gallon is playing out of position. His talent fits facing the basket more than having his back to it. TMG is fine, young and not ready, but fine.

I'm happy with all of the freshmen.

Good point. I should have added that I am just as pleased with Pledger and Fitzgerald. IMO, the future is bright with those four players in our program, providing they stick together and continue to do what is best for the team.

Good point. I should have added that I am just as pleased with Pledger and Fitzgerald. IMO, the future is bright with those four players in our program, providing they stick together and continue to do what is best for the team.

What about Hardrick?

I am happy with both Tiny and TMG. I think they both try, on both ends of the court. I think the learning curve on Tiny is steeper than I had expected. Both are very talented, if not incredibly skilled (yet).

Tiny plays hard and looks pretty good at times. He just doesn't know what he's doing a lot of the time. I think TMG is just as lazy as WW. He can shoot 3s okay but that's about all I really like from TMG.

Tiny needs to improve his hands a bit for he seems to have a problem pulling in either rebounds or those passes fed to him while standing in the paint. He also needs a little more confidence in his shots close to the bucket by shooting quicker when there is less defensive pressure.

Tommy needs to take care of the ball a bit better away from the basket and work to develop an intermediate game. He also needs to move more after making a pass on the offensive end.

Back