Tiny

SoonerfanTU

Banned
Reaction score
How does his game/body/athleticism compare to that of Big Baby for the Celt's? Pretty sure Tiny handles the ball a little better, but can he hit the 15-18 footer like Big Baby? If so, we need to find a good low post scorer, and we'll be a tough team to defend. Alot like our last FF team with Ace.

How does his game/body/athleticism compare to that of Big Baby for the Celt's? Pretty sure Tiny handles the ball a little better, but can he hit the 15-18 footer like Big Baby? If so, we need to find a good low post scorer, and we'll be a tough team to defend. Alot like our last FF team with Ace.

I think Big Baby is actually bigger than Gallon, but they are similar as far as "game" is concerned... Tiny can hit 3pt shots, and can hit jumpers as well. They have a similar skill set and are both unique because of their skill and ability to move at their size.

As for a true low post scorer, I don't think OU has one this year.

I think Big Baby and Tiny are a pretty good comparison. Both are around 6' 9" 290 with quick feet and a unique skill set for their size. Tiny has range to behind the arc (he went 6 for 9 in one game and 5 for 5 in another) and Davis does most of his scoring from 17 feet and in. If Big Baby has range to the three he hasn't shown it in the NBA yet.

Big Baby definitely has the best inside game at this point. It's not that Tiny can't be effective down low. He's virtually unstoppable when he gets the ball in close. But, judging by what I've seen, he likes playing on the perimeter, maybe a little too much. lol I have the feeling that will change when he gets to OU this summer.

I'm hoping Juan or Ryan will improve their post play in the off season so Tiny can move away from the basket more to open up the middle for our slashers. We didn't see much of that with Blake, because teams double and triple teamed him and clogged up the lane.

I won't be at all surprised to see Fitzgerald move into a low post spot and get starter-like minutes later in the season. He's a big, strong kid who plays hard, and he seems to enjoy banging inside. I'm more excited about Andrew than any post player on next year's team, except for Tiny.

Tiny actually has an advantage over Big Baby in the fact that he has had a perimeter game for alot of his young career, and Big Baby is just now developing one. Big Baby has a hell of a motor though.

This is a great thread because I think this will be one of the crucial aspects that could bring it all together for this team. I don't think Tiny will get to shoot as much as he's used to at OU. However, I also think that Coach Capel will not try and put shackles on Tiny's game from the perimeter. Tiny will be encouraged greatly to get inside and use his strength to become a better low post scorer, but he will be given the freedom to shoot when he has a good look. He has to have a little freedom. I have no doubt that Coach Capel will give it to him. As far as having a low post scorer to go with Tiny. This is an excellent point. That's why I think that Andrew Fitzgerald could come in and help us tremendously. Not from scoring, but from the rebounding mentality and the heart that this kid has. His passing ability is good enough as well. The best scenario would be for Orlando, Juan, or Ryan to step up their games bigtime. That means the work has to be done in the summer. Who will step up? Stay tuned. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

I have posted this a couple of times, so sorry to be redundant if you've seen it before...I really think you can get way of base trying to compare him to other heavy guys. As far as Big Baby goes, I don't think they compare very well at all. Part of why Davis slipped so far in the draft is that he is only really around 6'6". Add that to concerns about his weight and an uncertainty about which position he would play in the league and he dropped. As far as his perimeter game, he took threes pretty regularly at LSU and shot a lot in the midrange. It isn't something that just appeared the last couple of weeks (though his minutes and confidence have).

If you want to compare games (as in skill set and impact on the game), Tiny compares very well with Chris Webber. His game starts with how good his hands and feet are. He really is very, very gifted in this area. These help to contribute to his very high skill level also, which enables him to be comfortable down low, in the high post, short corner, and all the way out to three point range. He is a very good passer and outlet passer, rebounds in and out of his area well, and handles well enough to push back with rebounds before giving it up. Very skilled, versatile guy.

As far as who to compare him to athletically, that is a lot tougher. He isn't the athlete Webber was. Big Baby and DeJuan Blair have football bodies that were always really muscular regardless of how much weight they carried. I think Tiny has carried a lot more "bad" weight than those two guys. I know he has slimmed down a lot though and who knows how he looks now. Offseason is always scary for guys with weight issues. The Zach Randolph comparison might be pretty fitting, but he was always really heavy on top of his legs, meaning his lower body has always seemed too thin for his upper body. If you take the phrase "for his size" out of the sentence, then Tiny isn't really a great athlete.

Tiny reminds me of Baby. Capel reminds me of Doc Rivers. Last years Celtics teams reminded me a little of last years OU team and I think next year's OU team will be similar to this years Celtics team without Garnett and Powe, their versions of Griffin and Griffin.

Last years team

Rashon Rondo - Austin Johnson (skinny guys that weren't really PG's)
Sam Cassell - Omar Leary (veteran backup pg)
Ray Allen - Tony Crocker (streak shooter)
Paul Peirce - Willie Warren (do everything, scoring guard)
James Posey - Juan Patillo (defenders)
Kevin Garnett - Blake Griffin (dominant, rebounding/scoring big man)
Leon Powe - Taylor Griffin (garbageman/defender)

This years team

Rondo - TMG (Rondo is bigger/better now and is more like TMG than AJ this playoffs)
Allen - Crocker (still streaky)
Peirce - Warren (proven stars)
Scalabrine - Cade (white boys that shoot the 3 from the corner and provide energy)
Baby- Tiny (skilled fat guys with great nicknames)
Perkins - Wright/Allen

(I wish I knew how to quote) Open it up for our slashers? Name one. Just one. We havent had one since Nolan Johnson. WW did very little last year for all his hoopla. Every other team in the league had at least one-except us.

(I wish I knew how to quote) Open it up for our slashers? Name one. Just one. We havent had one since Nolan Johnson. WW did very little last year for all his hoopla. Every other team in the league had at least one-except us.

First off, the quote button is under the post you want to quote, on the right.

I think you make a really fair point about slashers, but you might be a little too hard on Willie. I thought he did a lot off the dribble last season, he just had a hard time doing it when Blake was clogging it up. Capel never really took Blake out to free things up (sort of why I hoped they would try some pick and roll with those two). When Blake wasn't in the game (and the two he missed with the concussion), I thought Willie was a lot more effective in the open offensive sets.

I agree with Big, we're going to be a little short on post players who can catch the ball with a defender behind them and make offensive moves that result in a bucket. But that's all right, we just need to generate lots of movement, more slashing, back screens into our offense.

Since we had Blake last year we didn't need to do that as much. This year we can't just pass it in to a post player and wait for him to take his defender.

big baby is closer to 6'6 then 6'9 ... tiny is bigger a better shooter and pretty much a better skilled player overall .. and much much higher rated coming out of high school ..

baby was a top 10 OT out of highschool ..

How about Ace McGee? Is Tiny's game similar to McGee's? Obviously Tiny is thicker than McGee was, but in terms of what they like to do are they similar?

I think you make a really fair point about slashers, but you might be a little too hard on Willie. I thought he did a lot off the dribble last season, he just had a hard time doing it when Blake was clogging it up. Capel never really took Blake out to free things up (sort of why I hoped they would try some pick and roll with those two). When Blake wasn't in the game (and the two he missed with the concussion), I thought Willie was a lot more effective in the open offensive sets.

Excellent point, Elmo, and similar to the one I made above, only you did a much better job. :)

OU will definitely miss Blake (understatement of the year), but his absence will open up driving lanes for Willie and hopefully guys like Ray Willis and T Crock, providing he works on his handles in the off season. I believe Pledger will prove to be another player who can drive the lanes or pull up and hit short range jumpers. If Cade focuses his attention on putting the ball on the floor more this summer, he could be in the mix as well. In other words, we'll have an ample supply of guards who are capable of scoring off the dribble drive by taking it to the hole or hitting short range jumpers.

I like the versatility of our big men, too. Tiny has range to the three point line and Fitzgerald has a nice touch to fifteen or seventeen feet. Ryan Wright has proven he can hit shots from fifteen feet and in, he just has to be more consistent. TMG, Pledge and our returning back court players in WW, TC, Cade and Willis will give us more firepower from the perimeter than we had last year.

In short, next year's team should be a lot more versatile offensively, even without Blake. With all of the positives Blake brought to the floor, there were also negatives in that he drew double and triple teams that served to clog the middle and make it difficult for slashers like Willie to show their stuff. I think we'll see that change this season.

Excellent point, Elmo, and similar to the one I made above, only you did a much better job. :)

OU will definitely miss Blake (understatement of the year), but his absence will open up driving lanes for Willie and hopefully guys like Ray Willis and T Crock, providing he works on his handles in the off season. I believe Pledger will prove to be another player who can drive the lanes or pull up and hit short range jumpers. If Cade focuses his attention on putting the ball on the floor more this summer, he could be in the mix as well. In other words, we'll have an ample supply of guards who are capable of scoring off the dribble drive by taking it to the hole or hitting short range jumpers.

I like the versatility of our big men, too. Tiny has range to the three point line and Fitzgerald has a nice touch to fifteen or seventeen feet. Ryan Wright has proven he can hit shots from fifteen feet and in, he just has to be more consistent. TMG, Pledge and our returning back court players in WW, TC, Cade and Willis will give us more firepower from the perimeter than we had last year.

In short, next year's team should be a lot more versatile offensively, even without Blake. With all of the positives Blake brought to the floor, there were also negatives in that he drew double and triple teams that served to clog the middle and make it difficult for slashers like Willie to show their stuff. I think we'll see that change this season.

The thing I really like about Tiny and Fitz playing with Willie and TMG is that they can drift out to the short corner on dribble drives and force helping bigs to choose whether to help on the drive or to stay at home. I know people tend to think of bigs shooting from the high post, but when a big can go out on the baseline to the short corner you can really open things up for dribble penetration and you can really eat up a zone that way too.

Also, I think Tony is much better as a rhythm shooter than as a static shooter. I think he will benefit from getting more shots off of screens and motion as opposed to out of two-man sets or rotations. I just think he is at his worst when he is standing and waiting for the ball.

I like the Big Baby comparisons with Baby having more strength and rebounding skill and Tiny having better hands, handles, and range.

Back