Tony Crocker has started 95 games at OU

thebigabd

Reaction score
He has started an average of 31 games per season at OU. No way he doesnt start every game this year (unless injured).

Veteran.

He has started an average of 31 games per season at OU. No way he doesnt start every game this year.

Veteran.

He better keep working hard then because he has three guys breathing down his neck (including a true freshman).

He really hasn't had much competition during his time at OU. I like it that guys are really pushing him this year. It will be good for Tony and the team.

He better keep working hard then because he has three guys breathing down his neck (including a true freshman).

He really hasn't had much competition during his time at OU. I like it that guys are really pushing him this year. It will be good for Tony and the team.
It must be noted that there have been guys that the message board pundits have predicted would start over Tony for the last two years. Of course, none of them did, and most of them either rode the pine or transfered/got kicked off the team.

It must also be noted that competition for all starting spots is healthy.

I agree. he will start every game. He and Willie Warren with both start every game, and they play the two positions that Ray Willis and Cade Davis can play. Thats why I don't think either of those guys will start this year unless there is an injury.

However, both Ray and Cade could start together next year as upper-classmen with Willie and Tony gone.

It must be noted that there have been guys that the message board pundits have predicted would start over Tony for the last two years. Of course, none of them did, and most of them either rode the pine or transfered/got kicked off the team.
It must also be noted that competition for all starting spots is healthy.

Very true. I was one that thought he and AJ both would get more competition last season. It just didn't happen. Ray Willis got stabbed, decided to not play team ball, and then got in trouble with the law. After he got stabbed, he quickly lost the 8 pounds he had put on (plus 5 more pounds) and never could get back.

I feel a lot better about making the competition claim this season because there are three guys that could push Tony for his spot, and the true freshman already has a Big 12 ready build and could fill a need that we currently don't have ( a dependable spot up three point shooter). I also think that Ray and Cade are at better levels then they were last year.

Tony will get pushed.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Cade might have a better overall game than Tony?

Certainly, if Cade was the better player, then he would have taken more minutes from Tony, who like Cade, had his good and bad shooting moments last year. But, most of the time, I felt that Cade was a better rebounder and was a better slasher than Tony. Defensively, Tony is probably better and that may be the difference.

The starting job is Tony's to lose, but I would not be surprised if Cade makes a serious push for minutes this season. I think Willis is another year away from getting serious minutes.

Is it just me or does anyone else think Cade might have a better overall game than Tony?

Certainly, if Cade was the better player, then he would have taken more minutes from Tony, who like Cade, had his good and bad shooting moments last year. But, most of the time, I felt that Cade was a better rebounder and was a better slasher than Tony. Defensively, Tony is probably better and that may be the difference.

The starting job is Tony's to lose, but I would not be surprised if Cade makes a serious push for minutes this season. I think Willis is another year away from getting serious minutes.

With Cade, it is about lateral quickness. If he can continue to improve in that area then I could see him starting by his senior year.

I really hope Tony can become a more consistent player this year and I think he will be. If he can play like he did during the Syracuse game more often then he will start every game.

I really hope Tony can become a more consistent player this year and I think he will be. If he can play like he did during the Syracuse game more often then he will start every game.

If he plays like he did against Syracuse every game we will go undefeated.

I prefer Tony to Cade, if I had to choose. JMO.

I agree. I like Tony's defensive improvements over the course of last season. I think that gives him the edge right now.

Last edited:
Barring injury, Tony will start every game. He is the best defender among our wing players and has started for 3 seasons. He needs to be more consistent offensively, but with that said he is easily the most consistent wing we have outside of WW.

Crocker will start every game unless he is injured/suspended/etc. Cade is without a doubt a hard worker and I'll be interested to see how much his game develops this summer, but the ball is in Willis' court. If he wants to commit to playing team ball, he'll surpass Cade.

Just my opinion, Cade will be a good role player but he is slowly being recruited over (which is what happens when you have good programs year in, year out).

The nice thing about both players is their versatility. They can play anywhere from the 2 to the 4 depending on the situation. They rebound well, play solid defense, can draw the charge effectively and they are getting much better at playing within the offense.

Back