Top 5 Freshman Point Guards 2010-2011

thebigabd

Reaction score
Serious talent coming into the Big 12 for point guards... My goodness.

1.) Josh Selby (6'3'' 183-KU): Ranked No. 4 overall and the No. 2 point guard by Rivals.com. Last season, Selby averaged 32 points, seven assists, five rebounds and two steals for the Lakers. Currently rated #1 point guard and #1 overall player in the class of 2010.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEEGg_qIFvY[/ame]

2.) Cory Joseph (6'3'' 180-UT): Ranked as the No. 7 prospect in the nation by Rivals.com, No. 21 by ESPNU and No. 22 by Scout.com. As a senior at Findlay Prep, Joseph averaged a team-best 18.8 points, 4.9 assists, 6.7 rebounds and 2.5 steals per game. He converted 53.9% from the floor (216-of-401), including a 46.9% mark from three-point range (60-of-128), and 79.6% from the free throw line (148-of-186) while leading Findlay to a 32-2 record.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD01T8E4OwQ&feature=related[/ame]

3.) Calvin Newell (6'1'' 201-OU): Played the 2009-10 season at Evelyn Mack Academy in Charlotte, N.C. ... Averaged 26.1 points and 7.0 assists per game for the Wildcats ... Thrived at National Prep Showcase tournament in November by scoring 28 (11-for-13 shooting) and 37 points (13-for-20) against prep powers South Kent and The Winchendon School, respectively ... Coached by William Sperow.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH5mr90welQ[/ame]

4.) Phil Pressey (5'10'' 168-MU): Named First Team all-area by the Dallas Morning News in 2010 after averaging 20.2 points, 7.3 rebounds and an incredible 7.0 assists ... Ranked the #16 recruit nationally by2K Sports ... Scored 32 points, grabbed eight boards and dished nine assists in the Southwest Private School Division I championship game ... All-conference, all-regional and all-state selection as a high school senior in Texas.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj5UmH5TdfI&feature=related[/ame]

5.) Shannon Sharpe (6'1'' 200-CU): As a senior in 2007-08, averaged 17.9 ppg., 7.9 rpg., 7.7 apg., 3.2 spg. Recorded five triple-doubles during his senior season • Mountain View League and Triple Crown Tournament most valuable player • Also named to the Inland Empire and Corona all-tournament team.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4SW3u-peYs[/ame]

Honorable Mention
Stargell Love (6'2'' 180): The 6-foot-2 point guard averaged 17.0 points, 10.0 assists and 3.0 steals as a senior this past season for head coach Isaac Pitts at Quality Education Academy in Winston-Salem, N.C. He is the 89th-rated overall player in the ESPNU Top 100 for the Class of 2010 and is rated as the 17th-best point guard in the class. Love, a three-star recruit by both Rivals.com and Scout.com, is also ranked as one of the nation's top 10 fifth-year players by The Hoop Scoop.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VewPEBwMMng[/ame]

I'll take 6'0" to 6'1" PG(s) or taller any day of the week.

Last edited:
Definitely a ultra athletic group of PG's. Look to be scoring PG's as well.
It's going to be fun.

Looking forward to seeing Newell play. I know the Baylor coaches were very high on him. Is Selby cleared yet? Who are the casualties academically in the big 12?

Bakari Turner- Baylor (juco)
Tony Mitchell- Missouri
Selby (agent issues)- still up in the air

Do we know of any others?

Looking forward to seeing Newell play. I know the Baylor coaches were very high on him. Is Selby cleared yet? Who are the casualties academically in the big 12?

Bakari Turner- Baylor (juco)
Tony Mitchell- Missouri
Selby (agent issues)- still up in the air

Do we know of any others?

selby hasn't been cleared yet. mitchell hasn't been denied yet. ratliffe at mu seems to still be waiting too, though everyone seems confident that he will clear. isu is waiting to hear on white's appeal. i think they are also still waiting to see if godfrey clears.

Last edited:
If Selby isn't cleared I will cry. That mixtape above is sick.
Word is he will clear...just waiting on the process like when Morris twins first arrived. I still don't like holding my breath. :)

Sys- one of Tony's former coaches told me that he's not going to make it to Missouri. Now that was 2 weeks ago. But he wasn't on the official roster.

If Iowa State gets Royce White eligible for the 2nd semester, they go from terrible to bad. Baylor has appeals for immediate eligibility for Bobo Morgan (UCLA) and Brady Heslip (Boston College). Both are likely to be eligible due to the circumstances behind their transfers. They need Morgan to throw an extra big body at the Kansas and Kansas States. Heslip would be helpful- Tyrell Reed type.

Sounds like Selby is the big question mark. I bet he clears as Cheno said. Kansas is not the program the NCAA likes to make a statement on.

Point guards are like quarterbacks - they need the right program fit to be hyper-successful. In that vein, I'll say Pressey is going to be the best of the group this upcoming season. Selby, though I've never seen him in person, looks to have all the markings of a one-and-done, and as such, will make a significant impact this year I'm sure; but I really believe Pressey will flat out FLOURISH in his God Father's system. Could be scary good!

Sounds like Selby is the big question mark. I bet he clears as Cheno said. Kansas is not the program the NCAA likes to make a statement on.

I don't know about that. KU is I believe the only school that wasn't allowed to defend their national championship. If something is wrong with Selby then they will come down on him. All the statements seem to be fine that he will be able to play. Who knows...if there is something minor he may have to sit out a few games. Remember John Wall missed 2 games to start last season because of something. So who knows what will happen.
I just think, like all of us, the NCAA is kind of ridiculous. They could have an answer by now. Now we're 4 days into the semester and the kid can't go to class. It hurts the kids. They did the same thing to the Morris Twins who missed 2 weeks and the NCAA basically said there wasn't a problem it just took a lot longer to get thru their paperwork.
If Selby is out the year it would really hurt KU bigtime. The guy is a stud.

I don't know about that. KU is I believe the only school that wasn't allowed to defend their national championship. If something is wrong with Selby then they will come down on him. All the statements seem to be fine that he will be able to play. Who knows...if there is something minor he may have to sit out a few games. Remember John Wall missed 2 games to start last season because of something. So who knows what will happen.
I just think, like all of us, the NCAA is kind of ridiculous. They could have an answer by now. Now we're 4 days into the semester and the kid can't go to class. It hurts the kids. They did the same thing to the Morris Twins who missed 2 weeks and the NCAA basically said there wasn't a problem it just took a lot longer to get thru their paperwork.
If Selby is out the year it would really hurt KU bigtime. The guy is a stud.

a lot of times, people are quick to blame the ncaa for problems the student athlete created.

in the case of the morris twins, they attended an essentially fake school and didn't finish till after the summer. not the ncaa's fault that they weren't cleared at the same time as recruits that finished their requirements in may and submitted their records for review in a timely fashion.

in selby's case, if he didn't want a longer than average evaluation time, he could have refrained from accepting the loan of a mercedes from an adidas rep. the ncaa didn't force that on him. we also don't know how cooperative selby and his family are being with the investigation. the recruit at miss st. last year, for example, refused to submit records, and had to sit out all year, despite the ncaa having no solid evidence of amateur violations.

i'm not always a cheerleader for the ncaa, but i don't think it's fair to blame them for taking their time on borderline cases, or when recruits refuse to cooperate.

dfw: yeah, i know most people don't think he'll make it, at least not for the fall semester. but if the ncaa has completed their review, mu hasn't announced the results yet. afaik, mitchell is still waiting to hear.

If you guys want to see a real highlight video, you should check out campbest's back in his prime.

He would work any one of those PG's in his heyday.

MU is still waiting on Mitchell and Ratliffe. Supposedly Ratliffe just needs to finish an online math class with a C or better, which should happen in the next several days. If he can't do that, I don't want him at Mizzou anyway, regardless of his talent. With a very simple and achievable goal like that, he should have no excuse.

Mitchell's case is a lot more complicated (I assume; no one seems to say anything on the record). What I know is that he has graduated from high school and his school district has accepted all of his credits. He's taken and retaken all the required tests to get credit for the classes he took in Florida. I don't know about his grades/ACT score, but I think that would be a simple yes/no kind of deal. Either the NCAA is trying to determine whether or not to accept the credits (which I don't think is the case, but is just my own feeling), or there's an issue with the rule about having to graduate in 8 semesters by a certain date (I think I read that it's a new rule, but Mitchell is caught up by a bit of a technicality; since he had to take a state-required math test to graduate and the retake wasn't until mid-summer, he didn't technically graduate in the time allotted by the NCAA).

If Mitchell is held out because he had to retake a test in July instead of May, that sucks. He doesn't seem like a bad kid, and I've read that just about every college team has guys who had worse grades... it's just a screwed up situation from transferring back and forth to schools that may not have had his best interests in mind.

If Selby does not make it in, I am thinking Newell will be the best. He can flat out sky. When he shoots it rains more than Seattle.

?....if newell is such a good scorer and such a great talent, why wasnt he ranked on rivals or anywere?

I think that he was a "true" prep school kid as well, and by that I mean that he had an extra year in HS to get eligible. That always dings your rating a little bit.

Were we the only team to really even recruit Calvin? Rivals only has us listed and not even a picture of him.

Were we the only team to really even recruit Calvin? Rivals only has us listed and not even a picture of him.

If I remember right, OU beat out Baylor, West Virginia and a couple other schools.

Back