Trae Young staying at Norman North for Senior season

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First of all, I want to thank Norman North Coach Brian Merritt, as well as all the Prep School coaches that spent their valuable time recruiting me and showing patience. Especially coach Kevin Boyle and Ray Miller at Montverde Academy, and Andy Johnson at Findlay Prep, among others. But I want to get this process over with so I can focus on the next important chapter in my life, which is college basketball and academics… plus there's a MORE IMPORTANT decision looming in the State of Oklahoma regarding a certain NBA player this summer... But after constant prayers and discussions with my family, as well as getting the advice and opinions from numerous college coaches across the country, I've decided to spend my senior year of high school in Norman, Oklahoma, and return to Norman North High School. This gives me one more year to spend at home with my family before I leave for college. And also one more year with friends that I've known since I moved to Norman as a kid years ago. This decision has nothing to do with where I'll play college basketball in 2017, but more to do with preparing myself mentally, physically, and emotionally under the guidance of my immediate family. I realize that locally and nationally there will be people who disagree and feel that I'm making a mistake, but I've learned over the past year that not everyone will be a fan of mine and agree with my decisions. But I feel confident in my decision and I look forward to continuing my growth as a young man ON and OFF the court. Thank you and God Bless. GO T-WOLVES.

http://newsok.com/high-school-baske...ior-season/article/5502805?platform=hootsuite

"This gives me one more year to spend at home with my family before I leave for college"

ITS OVER KENTUCKY BOUND DOOM GLOOM WAAAAAH

:)

He seems really grounded. I want him on our team even more now

"This gives me one more year to spend at home with my family before I leave for college"

ITS OVER KENTUCKY BOUND DOOM GLOOM WAAAAAH

:)

It's not too late for him to fall in love with a girl in Norman... *coughPritchardcough* :ez-laugh:

This is not good news for anyone wanting him to go to Kentucky, I think this helps OU, and I imagine a probable neutral effect on KU's chances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not good news for anyone wanting him to go to Kentucky, I think this helps OU, and I imagine a probable neutral effect on KU's chances.

When i first saw the news, I thought this was good for OU. Then when I read his quote, I thought it was bad news

Not trying to be negative, and I may be putting too much stock in his words. But wouldn't that quote imply that he wouldn't be going to Norman for college, since he already lives there?

When i first saw the news, I thought this was good for OU. Then when I read his quote, I thought it was bad news

I can see how it might read that way. I think his context had only to do with being away at prep school. You're reading it more in the context of his college choice. I read it more as 1 more year at home with his family, friends, etc before college. To me, his phrasing had more to do with putting off moving out not necessarily moving AWAY.

I hope you are right but i'm not going to hold my breath

His statement could just as easily mean something more like, "I don't where I'm going to college. It's possible it'll be out of state. So I want to spend time with my family while I can."

Which wouldn't qualify as breaking news -- we've all known it was possible he'd sign with an out-of-state school.

However, if he's making decisions now based on proximity to his family, it's entirely possible that will also factor into his next decision, when push comes to shove.

Not trying to be negative, and I may be putting too much stock in his words. But wouldn't that quote imply that he wouldn't be going to Norman for college, since he already lives there?

The guys I knew from Norman High did not live at home when they went to OU.

He lives in Norman and said he wants to be with his family before he leaves for college one last year. He gone

He lives in Norman and said he wants to be with his family before he leaves for college one last year. He gone

I disagree but we'll know for sure sometime in August!

He also said he and Porter are still a package deal. And Porter doesn't have Kansas or Kentucky on his list. I think people are over analyzing these things

It helps us a bunch! It was unlikely he would have gone to OU if had gone to a prep school. My guess is it will come down to OU and KU. Just my guess I have zero knowledge from OU or the kid.

It's just loose language.

I went to undergrad in my hometown. I moved to my own house and said things like "when i was off at college". Relax people

Trae wouldn't ever tip his hand

Rayford Young was just on the sports animal. He said a lot of positive things about OU. Most notably imo that when Buddy met Trae in Cali this week he was recruiting for OU. Said if you make shots and lead your team then it doesn't matter where you go. Also said Lon developed him and he wasn't as talented as Trae and that Lon will do wonders with him.

Most important part of this announcement, IMO, is that Trae can continue hanging out at OU's practices throughout the season.

Back