Tramel blog nuggets: TMG is OU's best player; Not a great year for Capel

Gutter

Reaction score
Tramel usually has it about right. Can't disagree with either thought...

From Tramel's blog:

* Not such a great coaching season for Jeff Capel. The Sooners’ problems continued in a loss at Texas Tech. OU had an 11-point lead, but that evaporated quickly. Tiny Gallon is a total mystery. With Willie Warren sidelined, the Sooners got little production outside Tony Crocker and Tommy Mason-Griffin. For whatever reason, this team is not cohesive and not improving. Capel did a marvelous job his first three years in Norman — Blake Griffin didn’t hurt — but this is not a great coaching job. This team has far more talent than an 11-8 record suggests.

* With apologies to Warren, Mason-Griffin is the best OU men’s player. This team is fast becoming Mason-Griffin’s team. I don’t know all the stuff going on with Warren, and I suspect he’s a victim of circumstances as much as anything. But TMG is starting to take the reins of this team. There will be bumps in that transition, but in the long run, Mason-Griffin’s ascension will pay off for Capel and the Sooners.

* With apologies to Warren, Mason-Griffin is the best OU men’s player. This team is fast becoming Mason-Griffin’s team. I don’t know all the stuff going on with Warren, and I suspect he’s a victim of circumstances as much as anything. But TMG is starting to take the reins of this team. There will be bumps in that transition, but in the long run, Mason-Griffin’s ascension will pay off for Capel and the Sooners.

:clap

sounds like the conclusion many others have reached here as well.

I'm sorry but Willie Warren is OU's best player and he has been all season. Maybe Tram should stop slobbing on the Thunder long enough to watch this team for two seconds and he would see the same.

doesn't matter if he's the best player or not...being the best individual player doesn't mean that OU is their best as a team when he's out there. arguably.

I'm sorry but Willie Warren is OU's best player and he has been all season. Maybe Tram should stop slobbing on the Thunder long enough to watch this team for two seconds and he would see the same.

Wow! Don't usually disagree with you Bigtime, but no way is WW our best player. Possibly the most talented, but no way the best. The best player LEADS the team, not hangs his head and loafs on defense. He has been playing much harder the last few games, but...I wouldn't call him the best.

this team is not cohesive and not improving. Capel did a marvelous job his first three years in Norman — Blake Griffin didn’t hurt — but this is not a great coaching job. This team has far more talent than an 11-8 record suggests.

I think the team is improving and has improved, not sure where he was the first half of the season.

WW is OU's most talented player but TMG is definitely playing the best right now with Crock a close second. WW has come on as of late though.

Nearly every night I've left the game saying "Mason Griffin was our best player tonight" or "Cade Davis was our best player tonight" or "Tony Crocker was our best player tonight"

I know I'm not the only one because I've heard guys on the sports animal, Bob Knight, other fans and even Jeff Capel say the same thing.

For the most part, I agree with Tramel.

Lately, TMG has been a great player/leader for the Sooners. The same could be said of both Cade and Crocker.

Willie is a great talent, and he is our best talent. However, even with his recent improvements, he still hasn't provided enough consistent evidence to be the best player OU has. I hope for his sake, he continues his improvements. I'll always be a fan of his. He just frustrates me sometimes... haha ;)

Willie may be the best player talent-wise, but production-wise, he is probably 3rd, at best. Definitely hasn't been the most productive player this year.

Hard to argue with any of his points; plus he calls out Trabore so that earns a double bonus.

Back