update on Ellis

bbhoops

Reaction score
Last edited:
Man, Ellis must be really good! He's obviously a rebounding machine. But it's rare for a freshman to draw double and triple teams. Respect like that is usually reserved for upperclassmen. Sure hope our coaches can land this kid!

Thanks for the update, bbh!

March 17, 2009

Bob Hovey
Hovpensports.com Publisher
Talk about it in Kansas Boys Basketball
With at least two teams in the final four in each of the past three seasons, the Wichita City League has dominated Class 6A basketball in the state of Kansas so it is of no surprise that two of our top five players in Kansas this season come out of that league. What is a surprise, but probably shouldn't be, is that one of these is just a freshman.

Perry Ellis cracks first team as a freshman

Even though he is in just his first year of basketball, and just 15 years old, 6-foot-8 Perry Ellis could very well be the best basketball player in Kansas boy's basketball this season. If he isn't, then Southeast senior guard Joe Mitchell is.

Joe Mitchell had a good season, great tournament

Those two were the first ones selected this season when our panel of experts got together to compare notes and take a look at information from around the state on these athletes.

While both put up excellent stats for both the season and tournament, they did it within the framework of a team—which is the main reason those two teams were in the state finals.

Ellis and Mitchell are joined on our starting five by three players who did a lot to help their teams to great heights this season. Topeka Highland Park junior guard Rico Richardson and Bishop Miege guard Trevor Releford were big achievers this season and although both just juniors, help make up the bulk of our first team, which might be notwithstanding Ellis, the shortest starting team we have put on the floor in some time. Add to our starting five Girard's Tanner Poppe, and bring sixth man Jeff Reid from Topeka Hayden off the bench however, and we can put enough height on the floor to play with the big guys.

We round out our first team (10 players) with Lawrence guard Dorian Greene, Andover center Luke Meisch, Shawnee Mission South guard Will Spradling, and Shawnee Mission Northwest power forward Steve Carver.

Our second team would also be very competitive, and like the first team, has some very young and up and coming players on it,.

In our viewing 132 teams before the state tournament opened up this year, we saw a lot of underclassmen who we liked and most certainly will consider in the future.

While we feel this is an excellent team, a glance across Kansas indicates a loaded freshman class with many 9th graders not only playing on varsity teams which has been almost unheard of in years past, but excelling on those teams. The future of Kansas basketball on the guys side is most definitely on an upswing.

To date, only two players on this team have committed to play Division I basketball next season. Jeff Reid will play at the University of St. Louis, and Dorian Greene is headed for Colorado State. Greene just committed Tuesday morning. Tanner Poppe will pitch for Kansas University and Joe Mitchell is as of this writing uncommitted as is Luke Meisch. The rest are underclassmen and can not sign until next season although a couple of them have committed.

With that said, here is our top 10, second 12, and honorable mention selections for the 2008-09 season.
Hovpen Sports boys first team <10 players)

• Perry Ellis, 6-foot-8 freshman Wichita Heights
• Joe Mitchell, 6-foot-1 senior Wichita Southeast
• Tanner Poppe, 6-foot-6 senior Girard
• Rico Richardson, 5-foot-10 junior Topeka Highland Park
• Trevor Releford, 6-foot-3 junior Bishop Miege
• Jeff Reid, 6-foot-5 senior Topeka Hayden
• Dorian Greene, 6-foot-1 senior Lawrence High
• Luke Meisch, 6-foot-6 senior Andover
• Steve Carver, 6-foot-8 junior Shawnee Mission Northwest
• Will Spradling, 6-foot-3 junior Shawnee Mission South
Starting Five

• Perry Ellis
• Joe Mitchell
• Rico Richardson
• Trevor Releford
• Tanner Poppe

bbhoops have you seen Releford. The article you have has him listed at 6'3, but I've seen him listed at 5'8 and 5'10.

All-State boys capsules

BY THE CAPITAL-JOURNAL
March 21, 2009
PERRY ELLIS, Wichita Heights 6-foot-8 freshman center
2008-09 19.2 ppg, 11.7 rpg, 61.4 FG pct.
Led Wichita Heights to Class 6A state title
Career
First freshman to make Capital-Journal All-State team
Worth noting
Ellis, who led Wichita Heights to a 24-1 record, is already considered one of the nation's top recruits, receiving interest from most of the NCAA's premier programs. ... Ellis averaged 13.7 points in the 6A state tournament and scored nine points and grabbed 20 rebounds in the championship game, a 73-58 win over Wichita Southeast. ... Also had 32 assists, 20 blocked shots and 20 steals. ... Is a 4.0 student at Heights.
Coach's comment
"Probably the most impressive thing with Perry this year was his composure and his maturity," Wichita Heights coach Joe Auer said. "He understood that some nights he was going to be a diversion because he was going to draw so much defensive attention. That really happened at the state tournament and it opened up things for other guys."
TREVOR RELEFORD, Miege
6-foot junior guard
2008-09
l 18.6 ppg, 4 rpg, 6.3 apg, 4 spg
l Led Miege to a second-place finish in Class 5A
Career
l Played key role for 19-3 team as a sophomore
l Honorable mention All-5A in 2007-2008
Worth noting
Helped Miege post a 23-2 record. ... Releford was the second-leading scorer in the 5A tournament, averaging 16 points. ... Scored 15 points in the championship game, a 54-52 loss to Highland Park. ... Two-year starter for the powerhouse Stags. ... Is receiving considerable major college recruiting interest. ... Brother Travis was a two-time All-State pick at Miege and is currently a freshman at Kansas.
Coach's comment
"He controls the tempo of the game," Miege coach Rick Zych said. "He's got a good feel for the game as a point guard and his speed kind of gets it going. There's things he needs to work on, but he's pretty good at taking the ball in his hands and making everybody better."
RICO RICHARDSON, Highland Park
6-foot junior guard
2008-09
l 17.7 ppg, 76 3s, 81.4 FT pct.
l Led Highland Park to the Class 5A state title
Career
l Two-time All-State selection
l 206 career 3-pointers, 1,122 career points
Worth noting
Richardson led Highland Park to a 24-1 record and a three-peat in 5A. ... Starter on three state championship teams that are a combined 73-2. ... Despite fighting illness, Richardson scored 30 points and hit six 3-pointers in the state tournament, including a team-high 14 points in the Scots' 54-52 win over Miege in the state championship game. ... Is receiving considerable major college attention.
Coach's comment
"I'm proud of him," Highland Park coach Ken Darting said. "I think Rico became a lot better player this year than he's been. He needed to do a lot more things for us this year, and he did. I think he grew up as a young man, there were a lot of things he had to overcome."
MITCH FIEGEL, Wichita Collegiate
Coach of the year
2008-09
l Coached Collegiate to Class 3A state title
l 26-0, one of two undefeated boys teams in Kansas
Career
l 328-160 record
l Four state championships
Worth noting
Fiegel has posted a record of 313-151 at Wichita Collegiate. ... Fiegel has led Wichita Collegiate to four state championships — 1993, '96, '07 and '09. ... Previously coached one season at Quivira Heights and has been at Collegiate for two decades. ... The Spartans beat Sabetha 55-52 in the state championship game.
Coach's comment
"Very rarely can you play 10 kids and have them all be satisfied with their roles," Fiegel said. "This is not a group you have to manufacture team chemistry with. You look in the lunch room, they're together. In the halls they're together, on the weekends they're together, so not only did they listen and accept their roles, they embraced them."
JEFF REID, Hayden
6-foot-5 senior guard
2008-09
l 19.9 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 51 FG pct., 86 FT pct.
l Led Hayden to a third-place finish in Class 4A
Career
l Led Hayden to 4A state title as a junior
l Scored more than 1,900 career points
l Two-time All-State selection
Worth noting
Reid was the city of Topeka's leading scorer, leading Hayden to a 22-4 record. ... Averaged a 4A tournament-best 20.3 points and scored 28 points in the third-place game. ... Began his career at 1A Brewster, transferring to Hayden for final two seasons. Averaged 22.4 points as a sophomore, earning second-team All-1A honors. ... Signed early with St. Louis. .. Brother Josh played at Kansas State.
Coach's comment
"He had to do some more leadership things this year that I think put more pressure on him just because of the fact that he had to set the example all the time," Hayden coach Ted Schuler said. "With all the pressure and everything, I thought he handled it very, very well."
JOE MITCHELL, Wichita Southeast
5-foot-11 senior guard
2008-09
l 22.5 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.5 apg, 2.7 spg
l Led Southeast to second-place finish in Class 6A
Career
l Played key role for state championship team in 2008
l Became a full-time starter for first time as a senior
Worth noting
Mitchell was the leader for a Wichita Southeast team that posted a 20-5 record. ... Mitchell averaged a tournament-best 24.7 points in the 6A tourney, scoring 32 points in a semifinal victory over Shawnee Mission East and 26 points in a 73-58 loss to Wichita Heights in the state final. ... Mitchell shot 59.2 percent on the season from the field and 75.4 percent from the free throw line. ... He had 44 3-pointers.
Coach's comment
"Joe's progressed from his freshman year to his senior year," Wichita Southeast coach Carl Taylor said. "This was his year. I told him that he had to be a scorer, he had to be our leader. When he comes to practice he comes to work. He brings the lunch pail. He practices hard, he plays hard."

ALL-STATE TOP 15 FIRST TEAM Name, school Ht. Gr. Perry Ellis, Wichita Heights 6-8 Fr. Joe MItchell, Wichita Southeast 5-11 Sr. Jeff Reid, Hayden 6-5 Sr. Trevor Releford, Miege 6-0 Sr. Rico Richardson, Highland Park 6-0 Jr. SECOND TEAM Name, school Ht. Gr. MItch Allen, Sabetha 5-8 Sr. Blake Jablonski, Wichita Collegiate 6-2 Jr. Luke Meisch, Andale 6-4 Sr. Tanner Poppe, Girard 6-6 Sr. Ben Steinlage, Centralia 6-5 Sr. THIRD TEAM Name, school Ht. Gr. Trae Beck, South Central 6-4 Sr. Bobby Chipman, Washburn Rural 6-8 Sr. Dorian Green, Lawrence 6-2 Sr. Bryce Mayes, Oxford 6-3 Sr. Brandon Newton, Crest 6-3 Sr. Coach of the year — Mitch Fiegel, Wichita Collegiate.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Julie Mason (412-561-1014)
Josh Holland (312-932-2823)

WICHITA H EIGHTS HIGH SCHOOL STANDOUT NAMED
GATORADE KANSAS BOYS BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE YEAR

CHICAGO (March 24, 2009) — In its third decade of honoring the nation’s best high school athletes, The Gatorade Company, in partnership with ESPN RISE, today announced Perry Ellis of Wichita Heights High School as its 2008-09 Gatorade Kansas Boys Basketball Player of the Year. Ellis is the first Gatorade Kansas Boys Basketball Player of the Year to be chosen from Wichita Heights High School.

The award, which recognizes not only outstanding athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on=2 0and off the court, distinguishes Ellis as Kansas’ best high school boys basketball player. Ellis is now a finalist for the prestigious Gatorade National Boys Basketball Player of the Year award to be announced in late March.

The freshman power forward and center led the Falcons to a 24-1 record and the Class 6A state championship this season, averaging 19.2 points, 11.7 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game. A 2008 Reebok Breakout Underclass Camp All-Tournament Team selection and a Reebok U All-American Camp invitee, the 6-foot-8, 210-pound Ellis recorded 20 rebounds, nine points, three assists and one block in a 73-58 victory against Southeast in the Class 6A state final. He shot 61 percent from the field and 65 percent from the free throw line this winter.

Ellis has maintained a 4.00 GPA in the classroom and ranks No. 1 in his class. He has v olunteered as part of several=2 0community-cleanup se rvice initiatives and as a motivational speaker to area youth athletes, addressing the importance of education and positive thinking.

“What Perry Ellis has done as a freshman is remarkable,” said Lonnie Lollar, head coach of rival Bishop Carroll High. “He has done truly good things. He’s an extremely intelligent young man. His sportsmanship is top-notch. He has done things the right way. He scores 20 points per game and averages double-digits in rebounding—which is phenomenal in our league for a freshman. He’s the missing piece that put that team over the top.”

Ellis will begin his sophomore year of high school this fall.

The Gatorade Player of the Year program annually recognizes one winner in the District of Columbia and each of the 50 states that sanction high school football, girls volleyball, boys and girls cross country, boys and girls basketball, boys and girls soccer, baseball, softball, and boys and girls track & field. The selection process is administered by ESPN RISE, which works with top sport-specific experts and a media advisory board of accomplished, veteran prep sports journalists to determine the state winners in each sport.

Ellis joins recent Gatorade Kansas Boys Basketball Players of the Year Travis Releford (2007-08, Bishop Miege HS), Tyrel Reed (2006-07, Burlington HS), and Casey Crawford (2005-06, Blue Valley North HS) among the state’s list of former award winners.

For m ore on the Gatorade Player of the Year program, incl uding nomination information, a list of past winners, and the announcement of the Gatorade National Player of the Year, visit gatorade.com/playeroftheyear.

Congrats to Perry! One of many to come imo.

Perry Ellis named Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year
http://www.ksn.com/sports/41874052.html
WICHITA, Kansas -- Wichita Heights freshman Perry Ellis was named the Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year after leading the Falcons to their first State Championship since 1977.

Perry Ellis named Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year
http://www.ksn.com/sports/41874052.html
WICHITA, Kansas -- Wichita Heights freshman Perry Ellis was named the Kansas Gatorade Player of the Year after leading the Falcons to their first State Championship since 1977.

bbhoops,

I love hearing all the updates man. I was wondering if you could give us any insight into what kind of chances that OU actually has in landing this guy. I know it is a long way down the road, but I would just like to get your initial thoughts....

Thanks

BT

Big Time, I do know that Blake is his favor college player and he said he did like Coach Capel. I do think they have a great chance with him. The coaches have shown great interest and he has been on OU's campus twice this year. Yes it is a long time from now but Memphis, KU, Kstate, UNC and OU are all doing the right thing by building an early relationship with him. KU was a his first High School game, KState was at his first substate game, KU was at his first state game and OU was at his championship game so they are are showing him that they want him to know they are supporting him. That is my opinion.

Big Time, I do know that Blake is his favor college player and he said he did like Coach Capel. I do think they have a great chance with him. The coaches have shown great interest and he has been on OU's campus twice this year. Yes it is a long time from now but Memphis, KU, Kstate, UNC and OU are all doing the right thing by building an early relationship with him. KU was a his first High School game, KState was at his first substate game, KU was at his first state game and OU was at his championship game so they are are showing him that they want him to know they are supporting him. That is my opinion.

Thanks for the info. I know we will be following the kid closely over the next couple of years....

Sunday, Apr 5, 2009
Posted on Sun, Apr. 05, 2009
Ellis takes spot among nation's elite
BY JONATHAN LONG
The Wichita Eagle
Perry Ellis refuses to let his youth define him on the basketball court. He allows his game to do that.
Ellis, a 6-foot-8 freshman at Heights, solidified himself as arguably the best high school player as a freshman. Now, he is out to show the country that he's not next -- he's now.
Ellis, a member of the Nike-sponsored Kansas Players AAU organization, was one of 20 post players in the country invited to the Amare Stoudemire Skills Academy. The camp takes place in Phoenix from June 28-July 1.
"I'm very excited," Ellis said. "I really want to keep getting better. I know people will talk about me if I do bad, so I just have to keep working hard."
Working hard isn't new for Ellis. He spends an hour before school each morning working on his game, and is continuing to work with a weight trainer who has helped him gain 27 pounds since September.
"Perry works hard every day," Heights coach Joe Auer said. "He's got daily goals for improvement and that's part of why he is where he is."
The Stoudemire camp is part of the Nike Summer Series that features four position camps -- Vince Carter, Paul Pierce, and Deron Williams host others. The 80 combined participants will travel to Akron, Ohio to participate in the LeBron James Skills Academy. The top 30 players from there will be selected to represent Nike's USA teams against International teams at the Nike Global Challenge. Two freshmen participated in the 2008 Summer Series.
"This process is highly selective, because we take the best 20 players regardless of shoe affiliation and class," Raphael Chillious, Business Manager for Nike Elite Youth Basketball said. "To be selected is pretty monumental. The overall selection process isn't finished, but he'll be one of a handful of freshman at the most."
The soft-spoken 15-year-old Ellis has become used to being the young kid on the block. Though Ellis first turned heads nationally two years ago as a rising eight-grader, nothing compared to the exposure that he received this past season. Whether it was constant media requests or inquiries from strangers, young and old, about him choosing a college there wasn't much Ellis or his family could do to escape the attention.
"Sometimes you just have to say no to things. And I did," Will Ellis, Perry's dad said. "I felt he needed to get some games under his belt. Honestly, I wanted him to sneak up on everybody."
The opportunity to sneak up on people on the basketball court disappeared his eighth grade year. Already hovering over most Brooks Middle School students at 6-foot-1, 140 pounds in the seventh-grade, he added five inches and 35 pounds his eight-grade year.
His first glimpse of the national spotlight came after a stellar showing at an Adidas Camp in 2007. His performances at the 2008 Reebok Breakout Underclass Camp, 2008 Reebok All-American Camp, and the AAU 14 and under nationals started to turn the heads of college coaches.
Kansas coach Bill Self attended Ellis' first high school game and later offered him a scholarship. Memphis followed. While college is very important to Ellis, it's not something that he spends a lot of time thinking about. Most of his time away from basketball and the books is reserved for X-Box 360.
"People ask me about college, but that's still a long way away," Ellis said
For now the Gatorade Player of the Year -- the first freshman in the state to receive the honor -- has his eyes set on improving his game in hopes of defending the Class 6A championship. With those improvements will come more accolades and attention. Both are things Ellis believes he's getting better at handling.
"I'm getting used to answering questions," Ellis said. "I've always played basketball, I haven't always got this much attention."
Jonathan Long covers high school sports. Reach him at 316-268-6296 or at jlong@wichitaeagle.com.

I saw a way too early list for the recruits in Perry's class. Perry and two others from Texas (Peters and Green) were ranked 1st, second, and third in the country. OU is in great shape with all three of these kids. That year could be a monster class for OU hoops. Ellis will be the toughest of the three to land, but landing even one of them, will give us another stud.

I saw a way too early list for the recruits in Perry's class. Perry and two others from Texas (Peters and Green) were ranked 1st, second, and third in the country. OU is in great shape with all three of these kids. That year could be a monster class for OU hoops. Ellis will be the toughest of the three to land, but landing even one of them, will give us another stud.

OU has its elite camp June 3rd and 4th. If they get these kids to attend, it will work out well for them.

Perry played with Spiece Mo-Kan last year he is playing with the Kansas Players this year same head coach. They are sponsored by Nike. I heard they were coming to the tournament Sooner Cager Classic May 8-10th. Perry is 15 but I hear he will be playing in 17under division to improve his game and make him stronger.

Back