update on Ellis

bbhoops, is kansas players an offshoot of spiece?

i have to agree with dm, it is a little curious for kc/kansas to have two nike teams. and for spiece's best young talent to jump to a new startup.

bbhoops, is kansas players an offshoot of spiece?

i have to agree with dm, it is a little curious for kc/kansas to have two nike teams. and for spiece's best young talent to jump to a new startup.

Same coach and 4 players from last years mo-kan team and they are Wichita based not KC based.

Tiger Woods is just one guy but Nike got heavy into golf because of him.
Michael Jordan is just one guy but Nike gave him his own brand.
In basketball one guy is all it takes.

So Nike thinks Perry is the next Tiger or MJ. Thanx Cheno.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid and I'm glad OU is recruiting the hell out of him. I'm just very leary of situations where "handlers" might be prevalent. Jeff Capel hasn't dealt with Handlers. The kids Jeff has gotten have been kids that he hasn't had to deal with wooing an AAU coach or offering one a job. Kelvin didn't deal with handlers until he went to Indiana and recruited Gordon. That's just a road I wouldn't want to go down.

Last edited:
was there a falling out with suther? issues with travel to kc?

feel free to ignore any questions that are too nosy. i'm just curious.

was there a falling out with suther? issues with travel to kc?

feel free to ignore any questions that are too nosy. i'm just curious.

No falling out with Matt they are good friends and talk regularly. I would say traveling would be the main issue.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid and I'm glad OU is recruiting the hell out of him. I'm just very leary of situations where "handlers" might be prevalent. Jeff Capel hasn't dealt with Handlers. The kids Jeff has gotten have been kids that he hasn't had to deal with wooing an AAU coach or offering one a job. Kelvin didn't deal with handlers until he went to Indiana and recruited Gordon. That's just a road I wouldn't want to go down.

No handler here very tight support system just trying their best to protect Perry and do what is best for him. I highly respect the coach. He has been with Perry since 6 years old. He just didn't show up on the scene. He saw his skills 9 years ago. All is good in this camp. Capel knows that is why he is getting involved.

the schedule is out for the Sooner Cager classic Starts Friday evening.
For more Sooner Cager Classic event information, go to www.athletesfirst.com and click on Sooner Cager Classic.

No handler here very tight support system just trying their best to protect Perry and do what is best for him. I highly respect the coach. He has been with Perry since 6 years old. He just didn't show up on the scene. He saw his skills 9 years ago. All is good in this camp. Capel knows that is why he is getting involved.

so how much is ellis liking capel? are we leading for him?

so how much is ellis liking capel? are we leading for him?

I would be interested in hearing what bbhoops has to say, but to throw in what I have been hearing, Ellis likes Capel a whole heck of a lot, which is why we might actually have a chance of pulling him out of Jayhawk land. Obviously, there is still lots and lots of recruiting left to go.

What type of numbers are being put up by Ellis during AAU play? When do yall get out of school for the year.

What type of numbers are being put up by Ellis during AAU play? When do yall get out of school for the year.

In the Dallas tournament he averaged 17 ppg playing in 17U
last weekend he averaged 20 I believe in 11/12th grade division

I think school is out May 27 or 28 not sure.

I would be interested in hearing what bbhoops has to say, but to throw in what I have been hearing, Ellis likes Capel a whole heck of a lot, which is why we might actually have a chance of pulling him out of Jayhawk land. Obviously, there is still lots and lots of recruiting left to go.

All I know is he likes both Capel and Self. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

He plays with Wesley Staten, the 2012 Iowa State commit. What type of player is he?

He plays with Wesley Staten, the 2012 Iowa State commit. What type of player is he?

He is a good player. He will not be making the trip this weekend to OU. He lives in Iowa and with school still going on it is hard for him to make all the tournaments.

No. I didn't realize Nike was giving him his own brand. :(
To Nike it's chump change to fund a summer AAU program for a top 5 rated kid. Call it an investment in the future. Not really that hard to see.

No. I didn't realize Nike was giving him his own brand. :(
To Nike it's chump change to fund a summer AAU program for a top 5 rated kid. Call it an investment in the future. Not really that hard to see.

Sorry for paraphrasing your words. You're right, it is chump change for Nike to do this. That was never the question. I think if you look at the Renardo Sidney case, where Reebok did the same thing, and how things transpired after Reebok bankrolled the LA Dream Team, that was what I was curious about.

BTW, How did Ellis do this weekend?

Last edited:
Sorry for paraphrasing your words. You're right, it is chump change for Nike to do this. That was never the question. I think if you look at the Renardo Sidney case, where Reebok did the same thing, and how things transpired after Reebok bankrolled the LA Dream Team, that was what I was curious about.

BTW, How did Ellis do this weekend?

He played well. they won their pool but lost their first bracket game. He had 23 points and 3 dunks the first game. I don't know the stats for the other games.

How did Ellis do at the Manhattan Classic? Who where some of the teams that played their. I know Team Texas was there. Did you catch any hoops? How did Clark and Pressey do?

Back