update on Ellis

Does Justin McCay(OU football recruit) or Trevor Releford play on his team?

Does Justin McCay(OU football recruit) or Trevor Releford play on his team?

releford plays for pump and run.

i'm really curious about the kansas players. they apparently just started up, but managed to get the two best area freshmen. they probably don't have a lot of the higher profile older players though. i'd guess that most guys that have been running with pump and run, spiece or wedman for several years will stay with those teams.

but, fi'd love to see a roster.

releford plays for pump and run.

i'm really curious about the kansas players. they apparently just started up, but managed to get the two best area freshmen. they probably don't have a lot of the higher profile older players though. i'd guess that most guys that have been running with pump and run, spiece or wedman for several years will stay with those teams.

but, fi'd love to see a roster.

I'm curious too. I looked for a website, but couldn't find one. Regardless, if they don't have good guard play, they'll struggle on the AAU circuit. Is this just a case of a coach taking the best player and starting a team based on that? I suspect McCay plays for Pump and Run as well since he goes to Bishop Meige.

I think he is just playing in a Wichita local MAYB tournament.

That would be very odd if that weren't the case.

I think it might be because the Jayhawk invitational it is associated with Adidas and he is sponosored by Nike. I am not sure.

Last edited:
Kansas Players is a start up and already sponsored by Nike? Who did they know?

Perry will be featured in the May Dime Magazine and Blake Griffin is on the front cover. How cool is that. Should be on stands in about a week. Check it out!!!!!

They have Perry Ellis

Pretty much what I figured. From an outsider, it seems to be an old script from the AAU handlers playbook. Find a major player, use him to get coaching connections, and work it from their. I hope this isn't the case.

Pretty much what I figured. From an outsider, it seems to be an old script from the AAU handlers playbook. Find a major player, use him to get coaching connections, and work it from their. I hope this isn't the case.

I really don't understand your comment. Let me explain it in more detail to you. Perry's High School team was sponsored by Nike so why wouldn't they sponsor his summer team no matter if it was a new team or not. Perry was sponsored by Nike last year on MO-Kan so they already had the connections with Nike. Does that help?

Last edited:
He is not on Bossi's list (he made a "guide" for the JI on scout...first one of those that I have seen lol)

I posted about KU media drumming up interest for recruits and how the internet media infuses itself as a recruiting tool and this is some of the stuff that I'm talking about. KU's number one targets in 2010 and 2011 are right at the top of the page in Bradley Beal and Harrison Barnes. You don't think KU fans aren't going to follow this guys lead and go out and Identify those guys off the bat. He'll do the same at Midnight Madness.

This is why it's also dangerous for him to cover OU. Now he did do a very fair article on Clark, but he has done three Clark interviews for scouts and all of them have been on the front of Phog.net. None have been on the front of OU's scout page.

I really don't understand your comment. Let me explain it in more detail to you. Perry's High School team was sponsored by Nike so why wouldn't they sponsor his summer team no matter if it was a new team or not. Perry was sponsored by Nike last year on MO-Kan so they already had the connections with Nike. Does that help?

From the perspective of running an AAU team like I use to do, sponsorship is very hard to come by as a start up. I had problems getting corner stores to sponsor my squad. Generally how it happens is Nike has execs who identify good AAU programs to sponsor on the hopes that one day a kid on that team goes to the NBA and strikes a sponsorship deal. Athletes First is Oklahoma's only nike sponsored team. Athletes First has sent quite a number of kids to the NBA. You won't see a Nike sponsored team in Wyoming or Montana because they aren't producing high end basketball players. That's why it's odd for a start up team to apply for Nike Sponsorship and get it based on one player. Especially when you have traditional teams like Pump n Run and Mo-Kan Spiece in the same area. I figured it was because Ellis was a team member, but he's just one guy.

From the perspective of running an AAU team like I use to do, sponsorship is very hard to come by as a start up. I had problems getting corner stores to sponsor my squad. Generally how it happens is Nike has execs who identify good AAU programs to sponsor on the hopes that one day a kid on that team goes to the NBA and strikes a sponsorship deal. Athletes First is Oklahoma's only nike sponsored team. Athletes First has sent quite a number of kids to the NBA. You won't see a Nike sponsored team in Wyoming or Montana because they aren't producing high end basketball players. That's why it's odd for a start up team to apply for Nike Sponsorship and get it based on one player. Especially when you have traditional teams like Pump n Run and Mo-Kan Spiece in the same area. I figured it was because Ellis was a team member, but he's just one guy.

Pump N Run is an Adidas team not Nike. An Nike exec was at the Dallas tournament and was at everyone of Perry's games. So they must see something special I would think. Perry is invited to the Amare and Lebrons camps this summer also.

I figured it was because Ellis was a team member, but he's just one guy.

Tiger Woods is just one guy but Nike got heavy into golf because of him.
Michael Jordan is just one guy but Nike gave him his own brand.
In basketball one guy is all it takes.

Back