Warren needs to work on attitude, body language and BB IQ

buttermaker1

Reaction score
Kid has all the talent in the world and continues to make bad decision after bad decision I just don't understand it. He compounds these mistakes with poor body language, lazy D and a questionable attitude.

3 terrible TO's in 4 straight possessions, a 3 jack with 28 seconds on the shot clock, small lead and 1 minute to play. He drives and scores late in the game and does this over the top chicken run.

He could learn a thing or two from the way Cade Davis carries himself and approaches the game.

I really want to like Warren as a player but it is becoming difficult. I can't imagine Blake putting up with this, Warren didn't act or play this way last year. Someone on the team needs to check him.

Last edited:
Tell us how you really feel. I was more disturbed by his emotions when he made a few baskets than I was by his body language when he was playing terrible. When he made that layup to think he clinched the game, he glided down court and OSU hit a three. Now it wasn't his man, but still he should have set the tone by hustling back. He's immature and we just need to hope that he's taking steps to mature.

I couldn't agree more Buttermaker1. It's frustrating to see a guy with so much talent wasting it by not hustling, playing terrible defense, taking 23 footers 6 seconds into the shot clock, forcing bad shots in the paint, etc as you mentioned. I'm sure Coach Capel and his staff have discussed these things ad naseum with Willie but it doesn't seem to be changing his approach.

Other than sitting him I don't know if he will change his approach or not. It may take NBA scouts telling him he's playing himself not only out of the 1st round of the draft but quite possibly into the middle end of the 2nd round with his current level of play.

A note to Willie...nobody gives a crap if you think you got fouled. Not even the officials. Defend your man and quit crying please.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carey Murdock called him the most overated superstar in OU basketball history last night. To me, he's just the most frustrating player I've seen play at OU.

I agree his body language is horrible. I saw him treat his teamates/coaches like garbage multiple times last night alone, not to mention the rest of the season. He played a little harder last night than he has most games this year, but he still made a lot of fans in my section angry and screaming at Capel to take him out after about the 5th turnover, followed by loafing back on defense in the first half.

I think WW actually had his mind set that he would play really hard last night, but he just has so many bad habits formed this season that he repeated a lot of them.

Bad habits are hard to break in one night.

I think WW actually had his mind set that he would play really hard last night, but he just has so many bad habits formed this season that he repeated a lot of them.

Very true. It is hard to change a habit in one game. But it should not be that hard to break that habit in 16 games. Willie has been jawing the refs and taking plays off all season.

I totally agree with this.

He played hard, but "doing the right things" is something he has to force right now. And I think the effort is a bit forced as well.

I agreewith the OP. I came into the season very high on Willie. I wanted to like him (part of me still does) but I am less hopeful because the thing that will keep him from changing is his attitude. His attitude seems set to me, not fluid or changing.

Coach has not been able to impact Willie's attitude. I think Blake, TG and AJ pulled together last year and kept him in line.

EyeDoc: I think there is some truth to what you are saying: possibly the only thing that could have an effect on Willie at this point is if the scouts started speaking out and his stock started dropping. At this point, I would be happy if Willie played well for his draft stock--at least we'd win some more games this way.

Last edited:
Tell us how you really feel. I was more disturbed by his emotions when he made a few baskets than I was by his body language when he was playing terrible. When he made that layup to think he clinched the game, he glided down court and OSU hit a three. Now it wasn't his man, but still he should have set the tone by hustling back. He's immature and we just need to hope that he's taking steps to mature.

:ez-laugh: so you are criticizing WW even when he doesn't do anything wrong? It wasn't his guy! I believe it was TMG who completely stopped after he got screened. And I believe WW was keeping up with his guy even when he was "Chicken hopping" down the court. Geez, people will complain about anything to make themselve feel better

Kid has all the talent in the world and continues to make bad decision after bad decision I just don't understand it. He compounds these mistakes with poor body language, lazy D and a questionable attitude.

3 terrible TO's in 4 straight possessions, a 3 jack with 28 seconds on the shot clock, small lead and 1 minute to play. He drives and scores late in the game and does this over the top chicken run.

He could learn a thing or two from the way Cade Davis carries himself and approaches the game.

I really want to like Warren as a player but it is becoming difficult. I can't imagine Blake putting up with this, Warren didn't act or play this way last year. Someone on the team needs to check him.

bad decisions? yes. bad body language? I didn't see it last night. He was constantly getting hacked too. And to the poster above, I care if WW thinks he got fouled b/c usually he did get fouled.

I agreewith the OP. I came into the season very high on Willie. I wanted to like him (part of me still does) but I am less hopeful because the thing that will keep him from changing is his attitude. His attitude seems set to me, not fluid or changing.

Coach has not been able to impact Willie's attitude. I think Blake, TG and AJ pulled together last year and kept him in line.

EyeDoc: I think there is some truth to what you are saying: possibly the only thing that could have an effect on Willie at this point is if the scouts started speaking out and his stock started dropping. At this point, I would be happy if Willie played well for his draft stock--at least we'd win some more games this way.

I would be happy if Willie "played hard". He is incredibly talented, and if he plays hard the playing well should take care of itself.

:ez-laugh: so you are criticizing WW even when he doesn't do anything wrong? It wasn't his guy! I believe it was TMG who completely stopped after he got screened. And I believe WW was keeping up with his guy even when he was "Chicken hopping" down the court. Geez, people will complain about anything to make themselve feel better

Does this include the coaching staff as well?

I hope he keeps going inside more like he did last night. That's something he is great at. He even made some good passes outside to wide open shooters.

He could learn from Cade, he should have learned from Blake.

I hope he keeps going inside more like he did last night. That's something he is great at. He even made some good passes outside to wide open shooters.

Willie has not learned how to play selflessly, how to play hard consistently, how to be a leader and how to use good judgment on offense. Yes, his drives are one of his strengths. Sometimes that works and other times it causes a turnover or a bad shot. That is where he needs better judgment.

The most frustrating part is when Willie gets lazy on defense. This team needs a leader and he cannot be a leader without being a role model on both sides of the ball. At this moment, he has great potential and moments of real greatness and that is it.

I wasn't a fan of that. I'm probably the biggest WW guy on this board, but that struck me the wrong way. The reason why it struck me the wrong way is what ended up happening. You don't showboat like a game is over when it's not. The game proved to not be over. You make a big play and finish it off. If he teammates see him gliding down the court like it's over, why do they have to play like the game is still going on. That's something he'll learn in time. Glide like that when its 0.00 time left.

I wasn't a fan of that. I'm probably the biggest WW guy on this board, but that struck me the wrong way. The reason why it struck me the wrong way is what ended up happening. You don't showboat like a game is over when it's not. The game proved to not be over. You make a big play and finish it off. If he teammates see him gliding down the court like it's over, why do they have to play like the game is still going on. That's something he'll learn in time. Glide like that when its 0.00 time left.

the thing is, he wasn't showboating like they just won...he was excited and had a skip in his step.

I think we all need to take a step back and realize that Willie took a big step in the right direction yesterday with his defense and hustle. It is going to take time to correct all of his so called "bad habits" but last night, I saw a guy that looked like he actually gave a darn for defense. It made all the difference in the world for this team. I hope to God that he keeps it up because it is the only way we will win Big 12 games this season.

I personally was more put off by Tiny's jersey stretching/chest pounding after finally making a layup off of another great entry pass.

Back