Wayman dead

I had heard he was pretty sick again. The cancer just came back with a vengence. Terrible day, but also a day to rejoice the life that he led, and to rejoice that he doesn't have to deal with the cancer anymore, he's in a better place.

Very true...... I keep clicking around to other boards/threads/subjects, but today is just a day that I can't get # 23 off of my mind. I can still remember him lighting up the LNC with that big smile, and his unstoppable left hand jumpers. I can hear Brooks shouting Wonderful Wayman Tisdale!!!!!!! Man, this is a tough day in Sooner Nation. I'm going to go to juvenile court for a few hours and do show cause hearings on DHS custody kids. Maybe some of those worthless parents will take my mind off of WWT for awhile.

:boomer:sooner

Any statements from Coach Tubbs yet?

I borrowed this from the AOL.com report on his passing:

"After three years at Oklahoma, the 6-foot-9 Tulsa native spent 12 seasons in the NBA with the Indiana Pacers, Sacramento Kings and Phoenix Suns, then became an award-winning jazz musician, with several of his albums making the top 10 on the Billboard charts.

The famously upbeat Tisdale first learned he had cancerous cyst below his right knee after he broke his leg in a fall at his home in Los Angeles on Feb. 8, 2007. He said then he was fortunate to have discovered the cancer at an early stage.

"Nothing can change me," Tisdale told The Associated Press last June. "You go through things. You don't change because things come in your life. You get better because things come in your life."

His leg was amputated last August and a prosthetic leg that he wore was crimson, one of the colors of his beloved Oklahoma Sooners. He made a handful of public appearances in recent weeks, including on April 7 at an Oklahoma City Thunder game, at which he received the team's Community Hero Award.

Also within the past month, Tisdale was honored in a ceremony at the Greenwood Cultural Center in his hometown and presented with the Legacy Award. During the ceremony, he spoke about his fight with cancer, saying "In my mind, I've beaten it."

Last month, Tisdale also learned he had been chosen for induction into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame. "

Its hard to believe this could actually happen...

Wayman was a great man and I wish his family the best. He, and they, will be in my prayers.

RIP Wayman, you were a great Sooner, and more importantly, a great person!

I learned of Wayman's passing when it was announced on NYC's top sports radio station; it felt like a punch in the stomach.

Wayman represented the University of Oklahoma as few athletes have -- he made us proud on the court and off. The world's a poorer place today.

In my mind, he'll always remain the greatest Sooner hoopster ever.

Last edited:
Sad loss. Way too early. One of those guys you had to love, no matter who you rooted for.

Re: Waymon dead

Nothing to be devastated about. He lived a life that should inspire any of us. I hope I can touch even a fraction of the people he touched in his life. An amazing human being.

The fact that he was so joyful and wouldn't allow others to grieve for him throughout this process just shows what kind of person he truly is.

Heaven is all the brighter today...
Thanks for your post pnkranger. My mom passed away this past Jan. 27th during that terrible ice storm Oklahoma had, esp. up in the NE part of the state where they lived. She slipped and fell on the ice covered deck letting the dog out and hit her head. It gave her a brain hemorrhage and by the time they got her from Grand Lake to Tulsa's St. John's she was brain dead. Just like that. B/c of the ice storm they couldn't use Life Flight.

She was my everything. The first and closest person in my life I had ever lost. So your post brought a warm feeling to my heart. Mom probably doesn't know who Wayman is, but I'm sure she's up there greating him and showing him around. She's probably already driving him crazy after she's learned who he is, telling him all about her son and how much of a crazy Sooner he is. Sorry about that Wayman. Just smile and nod your head and she'll soon run out of stories. [Grin]

Anyway, your post made me feel better.

Wayman, I love you and will miss you terribly.

RIP Wayman. He was an immensely talented person and an all around great human. He'll be missed.

TX4OU - very sorry for your loss.

Terrible news, though I am glad that I know that Wayman most likely died with the same grace that he lived.

I dealt with the same thing with a HS kid I worked with, had cancer in his leg bone, went through amputation but it kept coming back and he ultimately passed away at 16.

Prayers are going out for the Tisdale family.

Cancer is a bastard disease. It took the sweetest person I ever met, my mother-in-law, on her 47th birthday, and now it's taken my favorite Sooner just months shy of his 45th.

It's amazing how an effortless gesture, like a smile, can be a calling card to millions. Look at every picture out there on the news wires today and what's the first thing that jumps out at you? That smile. That big, beautiful smile.

God, I can't believe he's gone.

I have a great photo of Wayman, smiling as always, from this year's Spurs game when he was presented the Community Hero award winner.

I don't know how to post it but will email to someone if they can. Just PM me your email.

He was a truly unique combination of talent, brains and good will. We don't get many like that. It is a sad day for everyone.

As a kid Wayman Tisdale was not only the player, but the person I emulated. I will never forget his patented turn around jumper. I remember going to the park acting like I was Wayman. I would shoot that jumper and afterwards I would try and flash that big smile like Wayman had. I'm am so speechless right now and really shocked that we have lost him. I shed tears when I first heard about it. Today none of us should be ashamed to shedding them because Wayman had the type of impact on you with that smile that made you feel like you knew him for years. WHAT A GREAT PLAYER BUT EVEN A GREATER PERSON! My prayers go out to Ms. Regina and the whole Tisdale family. I feel fortunate to have met Wayman and his wife on more than one occasion. These are true American people and heroes. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

RIP Wayman, Cancer just sucks.

Wayman said "It may have gotten my leg, but it wont take my smile". Everytime I would see him he was always smiling! RIP Wayman, it will never take your smile!

Back