We are perfectly positioned for Julius Randle

Re: Julius Randle....

I don't really follow this. Great players have gone to OU, OSU, Baylor, KSU, A&M, Texas, Missouri, and ISU in the past so I see no reason to assume they will not do it again in the future. Not everyone wants to play for Kentucky. Some simply won't like Kentucky. Some will want to be the big fish in a smaller pond. Some will like a certain school or coach. If a kid is paying attention he will notice that making the NBA realy has nothing to do with where you go to school. If you can play at that level, the NBA will find you.

I really hope this guy comes to OU. I think he is the player that can seal the deal and assure OU of returning to what it was from the mid 80s to 4 years ago.

Look, I would LOVE to have this kid I just dont think top recruits like him are ready to go to OU again. I think if we make the tournament this year we should definitely see a boost in the 2014 class, but all we have right now is Woodard, i dont know his ranking on ESPN he is the 28th PG, outside the top 100.

I think that I read that 60% of OU's new dorm would be occupied by non-athletes.

it is not for basketball players only that is against the rules ..

Actually, yes it is just for basketball players and managers/trainers.

Its a privately funded building. Not paid for AT ALL by the university, so they can have anyone live in there.

Its the same as basketball players at UNC renting a giant house and living together.

So yes, its 100% basketball personnel.

Actually, yes it is just for basketball players and managers/trainers.

Its a privately funded building. Not paid for AT ALL by the university, so they can have anyone live in there.

Its the same as basketball players at UNC renting a giant house and living together.

So yes, its 100% basketball personnel.

Doesn't matter how it is paid for. If it is a dorm run by the school for scholarship athletes it cannot be a 100% athletic dorm. NCAA violation. The only athletes that live there can be basketball players but non athletes will also reside there.

Doesn't matter how it is paid for. If it is a dorm run by the school for scholarship athletes it cannot be a 100% athletic dorm. NCAA violation. The only athletes that live there can be basketball players but non athletes will also reside there.

You're not listening.

It's 100% basketball personnel.

Its not a very big dorm.

UK has 12 basketball players that live in the lodge (Tod Lanter does not).

Kentucky has 7 student managers, 4 student trainers, and 3 student tutors that live in there as well.

That equals 14 non-players.

Thus making it <50% players, which is the NCAA rule.

It is a 100% basketball personnel lodge.

You're not listening.

It's 100% basketball personnel.

Its not a very big dorm.

UK has 12 basketball players that live in the lodge (Tod Lanter does not).

Kentucky has 7 student managers, 4 student trainers, and 3 student tutors that live in there as well.

That equals 14 non-players.

Thus making it <50% players, which is the NCAA rule.

It is a 100% basketball personnel lodge.

You're right. I'm not listening. This is a message board. I'm reading and your previous post was incorrect/misleading. This one makes sense. 100% basketball personnel insinuates paid employees of the school not unpaid student managers.

You're right. I'm not listening. This is a message board. I'm reading and your previous post was incorrect/misleading. This one makes sense. 100% basketball personnel insinuates paid employees of the school not unpaid student managers.

Paid employees of the school?

Like coaches?

I think the coaches make enough to have their own houses...

And my previous post, even before I broke it down for you, said it was for players and managers/trainers....

What's misleading about that?

Paid employees of the school?

Like coaches?

I think the coaches make enough to have their own houses...

I didn't say coaches. You said basketball personnel. Managers/trainers. Not all those positions are filled by unpaid students at most schools.

And I agree with KBaden, it was confusing what you typed until you broke it down. Doesn't matter though, move on.

I didn't say coaches. You said basketball personnel. Managers/trainers. Not all those positions are filled by unpaid students at most schools.

I figured it was assumed.

Not many full-grown adults live in dorms with athletes.

In all honesty, no it wont.

Here's a video tour of Kentucky's basketball dorm.

This is for basketball players only.

http://www.coachcal.com/16170/2012/09/no-place-like-home-uks-new-gold-standard-in-housing/

Sorry, just read their out on the NCAA rule above, after posting. Color me still not overly impressed by this facility.

I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure Headington Hall will far exceed this facility when completed.

But my first question is, how can they have a dormitory facility for only basketball players? I'm pretty sure it's an NCAA rule that any living quarters provided to student athlete's on campus must not have over 49% athletes and 51% non-athletic students, which is what the ratio will be in Headington Hall when it opens this coming fall. This Coal Miner's Lodge is nice but has a very sterile feel to me, in the halls and in the rooms. Seems very segregated from the rest of the students to me as well. I have no doubt that when Headington Hall opens, it will be in the top 5 of all on campus facilities in the country, if not the top. It will be short-lived as it will create a race to meet or exceed this facility. But I really want to know how they can build this facility for basketball players only when it's against NCAA rules!

BTW, Cal is a smarmy, used car salesman!

Last edited:
It does seem to be a slimy Calipari way of using a gray area rules-wise to get what you want.

OK, I've seen the Kentucky video, and that place is nice, which is why I asked about our (49%) athletic dorm, and how it compares? When is it scheduled to be completed? Since it's bigger, I'm guessing the 51% aren't going to be student managers, etc., but some regular students (as was Bud Wilkinson Hall).

Back