We are perfectly positioned for Julius Randle

Re: Julius Randle....

OK, I've seen the Kentucky video, and that place is nice, which is why I asked about our (49%) athletic dorm, and how it compares? When is it scheduled to be completed? Since it's bigger, I'm guessing the 51% aren't going to be student managers, etc., but some regular students (as was Bud Wilkinson Hall).

Headington Hall is planned to be open in time for fall semester (August, 2013), I believe. It's going to hold approximately 400 students with athlete's comprising 49% and general students at 51%. I'm sure student managers, etc, will comprise some of the 51% and I'd guess probably a lot of the National Merit Scholars that attend OU will be offered the chance to board there as well. There may be some units available for any students that wish to pay (and I'm sure it will be quite a bit more costly than any other dorm on campus) and stay. If you haven't been in Norman and viewed this building in person and how it compares to the BW dorms across the street, it really is amazing and I think it's going to be a major recruiting advantage for us. It's going to be an advantage for ALL sports and not just football. Men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, track and field, gymnastics, etc are all going to benefit from this new dorm. There will be retail (restaurants, mostly) on the ground level and computer labs/study areas within the building. Coal Miner's Lodge really is a benefit for 13 athletes at Kentucky and if I were an athlete in another sport I'd be a little miffed! Of course, football is king in Norman but pretty much all athletic programs are now competitive at a high level and if they aren't, they will be soon. I think this will be the standard that others (tu, ohio state, michigan, alabama, florida, etc, etc) will be shooting for once completed. Others will match and maybe exceed this project in time but IMO this will be a top 3, if not the top, facility of it's kind in the country for at least a few years. Some will never spend $75M for this kind of facility.

http://www.soonersports.com/genrel/032411aaa.html

They are going to tear down the bud aren't they?

They are going to tear down the bud aren't they?

I believe they are going to tear down all three dorms when completed, Bud, Jefferson and whatever the name of the other is. Don't know if they plan on building there since they have placed the coaches sculptures right in front of those dorms.

I believe they are going to tear down all three dorms when completed, Bud, Jefferson and whatever the name of the other is. Don't know if they plan on building there since they have placed the coaches sculptures right in front of those dorms.

There might be enought room there for an on campus arena. a little tight though.

Probably will be more parking

Ty- Kentucky doesn't care if the players are segregated from the campus. "They aren't normal students and have very little in common with the general campus. Also coaches like to keep the athletes away from the general population as it is easier to watch them and keep them out of trouble.

Coach Kruger is actually recruiting respectable kids but that is very difficult to do in the basketball world. We just went through a period where you wouldn't have wanted your children to be around the players.

Ty- Kentucky doesn't care if the players are segregated from the campus. "They aren't normal students and have very little in common with the general campus. Also coaches like to keep the athletes away from the general population as it is easier to watch them and keep them out of trouble.

Coach Kruger is actually recruiting respectable kids but that is very difficult to do in the basketball world. We just went through a period where you wouldn't have wanted your children to be around the players.

Yeah, I noticed Calismarmy kept showing how close the housing was from the practice gym and at the very end he said, oh, the campus is over there!

:ez-laugh:

Last edited:

And the student managers will have teh place to themselves come April, once every single other resident of the hall has left school.

the current dorms will be torn down and that corner will turn into a park ..

with a little amphitheater .. and a bunch more statues

So back to Randle, is there a reason to believe this isn't a UT/Kansas battle right now? The way I understand it is that he's visiting KU in February when Gameday and Texas is there.

So back to Randle, is there a reason to believe this isn't a UT/Kansas battle right now? The way I understand it is that he's visiting KU in February when Gameday and Texas is there.

The only reason is that he hasn't officially eliminated OU. I think this has more to do with the preseason discussions about what the team would need to do to stay in the hunt. It seems that the team is holding up their side of the bargain.

Have the rules changed? When I applied to live in the athletic dorms at OU about 10 years ago, they stated that 50% had to be non associated with athletics. Which I assumed non associated with athletics ment no team managers or trainers. I had friends who lived in the athletic dorms at OSU. It was a 4 person suite and only one was one the track team.

Back