What a tough day for Pledge

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
We really needed him to step up with Willie out. He is just in a huge funk with his shot and confidence. That missed lay-up and play when he stepped on the baseline were both killers. He also got absolutely abused on defense. Definitely a trial by fire year for Steven.

I hope he keeps his head up and uses this game and this year to really grow as a player. We are going to need him to greatly improve his lateral footspeed by doing some serious agility drills this offseason.

Pledge is our Keiton Page. If he isn't making shots what does he do for your team?

Pledge is our Keiton Page. If he isn't making shots what does he do for your team?

It certainly feels that way this year due to his problems on defense, but I don't think he will always be that way. Both Crock and Cade had their struggles as defenders during their freshmen years.

Does he seem "slow" to anybody else? The first few games, I don't recall him being as slow as he has seemed since then. Is he nursing some kind of injury?

Does he seem "slow" to anybody else? The first few games, I don't recall him being as slow as he has seemed since then. Is he nursing some kind of injury?

He seems very slow to me especially on defense. Not sure about any injuries.

Pledger is a freshman. He is expected to come and go. It's when you have upper classmen disappear that kills you.

That is all.

I said from the beginning that my only concern about Steven's ability to contribute at a fairly high level as a freshman was on defense. Some of these kids simply aren't prepared for the difference in speed and physical nature of the college game. Believing you can do it is not always reality.

I definitely did not expect to see the slump he is in shooting the ball right now, though. I even predicted that he had a chance to be the best three point shooter in OU history before he was through. Wow! Shows you how much I know. lol But I'm not about to give up on this kid. He has a beautiful shooting stroke, and I still believe he will prove me right in time.

He has good fundamentals and a knowledge of the game that will serve him well when he adjusts to the speed and physicality of the college game. BT is right, though. Steven has some work to do on his lateral speed and quickness. He also needs to go back to being a "gym rat" again the way he was in high school, until he shoots himself out of this slump he's in.

I said from the beginning that my only concern about Steven's ability to contribute at a fairly high level as a freshman was on defense. Some of these kids simply aren't prepared for the difference in speed and physical nature of the college game. Believing you can do it is not always reality.

I definitely did not expect to see the slump he is in shooting the ball right now, though. I even predicted that he had a chance to be the best three point shooter in OU history before he was through. Wow! Shows you how much I know. lol But I'm not about to give up on this kid. He has a beautiful shooting stroke, and I still believe he will prove me right in time.

He has good fundamentals and a knowledge of the game that will serve him well when he adjusts to the speed and physicality of the college game. BT is right, though. Steven has some work to do on his lateral speed and quickness. He also needs to go back to being a "gym rat" again the way he was in high school, until he shoots himself out of this slump he's in.

If you get the rap as a bad defender, you might as well get ready to face an onslaught. What's tough for Pledge is he plays the position where he's going to see good offensive players. But if you look at Crocker and Davis, two guys who came and basically were spot up shooters, they've expanded their games a bit. Crocker looked really good as a dribbler and a slasher yesterday. Davis is now putting it on the ground and going to the hole with some effectiveness. Those guys were really bad at that aspect of their games a two year, even a year ago. Steve has to get mid range looks offensively and learn how to battle defensively.

I feel bad for the kid because he is working his butt off in practice. One minute his shot is right on and just rims out and then he'll come down and throw up an airball. Ada I think it was you that brought up the point that sometimes he is jumping sideways when he releases the ball. Did he shoot that way in high school? I have yet to go back and look at some of his video.

My observations from Pledger, personally I identify him with most on the team because we filled the same role.

1.) He is learning to play defense at this level, isn't the quickest 2 guard out there. Pledger will be one of those guys who develops into a "crafty" defender, someone who won't ever be an amazing physical presence on the defensive end.

2.) As for his shot, Pledger is in a funk and it is snowballing the rest of his offensive game, everything is mental right now. You can tell by his body language after shots how dejected and disappointed he is. Pledger knows that his role is to make shots and he's letting the team down by missing open looks. But he has to keep shooting when he's open, that's the only way he is going to break out of this.

Pledger is getting some great experience, I don't expect this team to make any noise in the postseason this year, so I look at it in a long term perspective (same with TMG and Tiny). Capel needs to keep giving him minutes, only way he is going to improve and get his stroke back in order.

2.) As for his shot, Pledger is in a funk and it is snowballing the rest of his offensive game, everything is mental right now. You can tell by his body language after shots how dejected and disappointed he is.

his defensive breakdowns after missed shots or turnovers is just killing him. but like you said, it's all mental which is affecting everything. the perfect example was the shot he had blocked near the low post in the first half. he turned with the ball, realized he was wide open and because he's in such a funk, he hesitated about whether to shoot it, bank it, or drive, and wound up getting rejected.

go hard, go strong and hustle. everything else will come along. if coach wants him in the gym, he needs to get there. luckily for him the next game is at LNC.

keep ya head up, bird. i'm with you no matter.

I feel bad for the kid because he is working his butt off in practice. One minute his shot is right on and just rims out and then he'll come down and throw up an airball. Ada I think it was you that brought up the point that sometimes he is jumping sideways when he releases the ball. Did he shoot that way in high school? I have yet to go back and look at some of his video.

SQ, someone like sharp1 could answer that question with a greater degree of accuracy than me.

My observation was simply to suggest a possible reason why Steven was in a shooting slump. His release is perfect most of the time. What I had noticed, however, is that his lower body from the waist down had an unusual kick to the side that I thought might be throwing off his timing or alignment just enough to cause him to miss shots. He was only doing that when he rushed to get his shot off before the defender reacted to cover him.

Since no one else seemed to feel that what I had been seeing was a problem, I could easily have been wrong. It would be interesting to hear what sharp1 thinks about Steven's shooting slump? He is very familiar with his game and even coached him in AAU ball once. Maybe he'll chime in with an opinion that will mean a lot more than my feeble attempt to solve the kid's shooting woes. :)

his defensive breakdowns after missed shots or turnovers is just killing him. but like you said, it's all mental which is affecting everything. the perfect example was the shot he had blocked near the low post in the first half. he turned with the ball, realized he was wide open and because he's in such a funk, he hesitated about whether to shoot it, bank it, or drive, and wound up getting rejected.

go hard, go strong and hustle. everything else will come along. if coach wants him in the gym, he needs to get there. luckily for him the next game is at LNC.

keep ya head up, bird. i'm with you no matter.

Don't forget the traveling violation in the second half, he didn't think he would be so open, hesitated and got called for the violation. If he is on a roll, he puts that shot up without a second thought.

Some great points by red and camp. We need him to get out of this funk and get his confidence back.

Back